topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for Disk Catalog Program with simple UserInterface like Picasa  (Read 9408 times)

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for Disk Catalog Program with simple UserInterface like Picasa.
Does anyone know a good one?
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

2stepsback

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • My "2stepsback" blog - Updated!
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. A good deed a day keeps the Devil away.
See http://www.codinghor...archives/000735.html
------------
<a href="http://www.w3schools.com/">W3Schools</a> - A collection of free HTML, CSS, JavaScript, DHTML, XML, XHTML, WAP, ASP, SQL tutorials with lots of working examples and source code.

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Take a look at Broken Cross Disk Manager as well http://bcdm.broken-cross.com/?Lang=enu.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
masu - have you made a decision? I'm checking out Broken Cross Disk Manager as suggested by Ken and Where is it? and am having a hard time deciding which looks better on paper (I haven't installed either, yet). BCDM is cheaper, but they both offer lifetime upgrades... I'm having difficulty finding any reputable reviews of these apps in particular and of either freeware or shareware alternatives in general. It's a category that appeals to me as I have dozens of old cd-rs and dvd-rs with everything from mp3 to old correspondence on them and am no longer able to find anything, so they are effectively coffee cup coasters that I keep on the offchance that I'll luck out and find what I need...

EDIT: added hyperlinks
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:21 PM by Darwin »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
there was a thread here recently about disk cataloguers & for the life of me I cant find it.

It was talking a lot about the speed of programme when working with very large numbers of files/disks

anyone any ideas ?
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
there was a thread here recently about disk cataloguers & for the life of me I cant find it.

It was talking a lot about the speed of programme when working with very large numbers of files/disks

anyone any ideas ?

looking for it for this new thread:
List of disc catalogers
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks tomos! Disk Explorer Pro looks promising. I've installed it along with WhereIsIt? and Broken Cross Disk Manager. I'm conflicted about WhereIsIt? and BCDM. On the one hand, they both scan at about the same rate. On the other BCDM is less than a MB to download and catalogued a 2GB Thumbdrive to a database file that is about 130kb. WhereIsIt? is almost 5MB to download and catalogued the same Thumbdrive to a 245kb database... The difference is that the WhereIsIt? catalogue includes mp3 and wma tag information and jpg file information whereas BCDM does not. DiskExplorer Pro is STILL cataloguing that same thumbdrive and I'll have to comment later on its merits relative to the other two. I *think* I created this situation because I opted to have it scan within archives... (and don't think I have the same option selected in either of the other two).

Update: I was wrong about cataloguing the archives being the culprit - rather it was Disk Explorer's default setting for thumbnail generation for graphic files that caused it to take so long indexing. Note that the other two apps have the same functionality but it is turned off by default in both of them. I standardized (as far as possible) across the three apps and re-catalogued my drive. I can't get BCDM to display tag info for my wma and mp3 files but other than that it's a star. Smallest catalogue size (145kb) and very quick. WhereIsIt? and Disk Explorer produce catalogues that weigh in at 246kb and 347kb respectively with WhereIsIt? being quicker at cataloguing the drive - I think it was the quickest of the three, though this is subjective. Certainly Disk Explorer was the slowest of the three, noticeably so... Disk Explorer wins on price, hands down. It's a tie between WhereIsIt? and Disk Explorer on feature set. BCDM wins on speed and database file size. Finally, I believe that WhereIsIt? has the best laid out interface followed closely by BCDM. I'm a bit disappointed with the degree to which WhereIsIt? can be configured - both the other apps offer a far greater range of customization. I suppose that the counter-argument is that it works so smoothly that one doesn't really need to tweak it too much.

So, which way am I going to jump? I'm not... yet. I'm going to run the three of them together for a while before deciding and see if other features/qualities become evident.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 06:16 PM by Darwin »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I didn't wait that long. By Wednesday evening my mind was made up and I purchased WhereIsIt? There are many options in this category and I've no doubt that other users will find alternatives more to their liking but for me WhereIsIt? is where it's at...  :-*