topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 7:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Do you think LAN play is important?

Yes
No

Last post Author Topic: Maze Craze - Fun 2D game by Wreckedcarzz  (Read 86159 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Maze Craze - Fun 2D game by Wreckedcarzz
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2007, 04:11 AM »
let me offer a more gentle elaboration since i think i came over as too harsh.

don't feel like you have to take testers opinions and implement them even if you don't agree with them.
BUT
do be careful to make sure that when testers take the time to test, that you take their suggestions seriously.  it can be frustrating for a tester to keep reporting the same bug over and over.  if you say "ill fix it later" then at least they know they dont have to keep testing it.  it can be frustrating if you keep saying "it's fixed" but it's not.  believe me i know since i am guilty of doing the same thing myself and it's a bad habit.

in the case of Maze Craze, my frustration is just because i want you to see what i'm suggesting and i cant tell if the problem is that im not communicating what the control should feel like, or if you're having trouble coding it, or something else.  that's why i keep referring to "Ball Revamped" so that i can show you what the control should feel like.  this is also one of these *fundamental* issues of physics in games, getting the control to feel right, and i want you to learn how to do it properly for your future games :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2007, 02:57 PM »
Sorry all :(
I have read and tried almost every idea that I find, and get most of them working and added. And I do know that I occasionally say that I fix something only to find that it still hasn't been fixed. Sorry about that. :( This is the first time I have given out a program that I am serious about and stuck behind it, and I am trying to keep it that way. I really am sorry if I made anyone mad or anything. Mouser, I did look at the games that you posted for ideas, and will take another look at them and most likely download them and see how they work.

But otherwise, here is kind of an update.
I am working at it right now trying to get it to work correctly and not drop to a speed where it cannot be brought back up. I am working at it and am trying things like decreasing the gravity, increasing the acceleration, and increasing the maximum speed. I still cannot get it to stop though >:( but I will keep trying different things. The problem is that I am learning the new way that it is setup and not sure of myself. I cannot decrease the gravity much more or otherwise it doesn't do much, so I think the acceleration and maximum speed options are my best bet of fixing it. Also, I will try to get the spacebar working to where it gradually slows the ball down, as that may work to correct the problem.
Thanks everyone.
-Brandon
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 02:59 PM by wreckedcarzz »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2007, 03:05 PM »
I'm not mad, i just want to see you get hold of the problem and learn a nice way to control this for this and future games you make.  I wouldn't focus on the spacebar.  just set limits as to the speed of the ball, and find yourself a nice page on game design that talks about control issues like this.

maybe you would be well off just experimenting on a new "game" where you just have a ball to control and nothing else, just to be able to experiment with various control schemes. 

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2007, 03:06 PM »
---Old post, removed---
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 11:07 PM by wreckedcarzz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2007, 02:37 PM »
Hi everyone,
I may have discovered why the ball will not function correctly once the gravity catches it. The additions that Deozaan added tell the ball to accelerate in all directions (this is correct). However, would that not also accelerate the gravity as well? I am aware that it should only accelerate when the keys are pressed but it is now under Create, so I am not sure if I am correct in this or not. :huh: Not to sound stupid, but I really don't know.
-Brandon
-wreckedcarzz (April 07, 2007, 03:06 PM)

Did you move the gravity to the Create or do you have two of them now? One under On Enter Room and one under Create? That might explain why. You might have double gravity.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2007, 01:05 AM »
---Old post, removed---

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2007, 12:57 AM »
---Old post, removed---

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2007, 01:00 AM »
Feel free to send me your source code again and I'll try to make sense of it. :-)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2007, 01:04 AM »
OK, just a quick update to let everyone know what I am doing
OK, could not find out the cause of the dropping ball problem and gladly accepted Deozann's assistance in repairing it.
THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN ELIMINATED AND THE CONTROL SYSTEM IN BEING FINALIZED!!!
Also I have been working to get some new non-mspaint backgrounds for the Main Menu and tutorial levels (kindly provided by Walter Winstel, as stated in the information). and I have been trying to create an updater for Maze Craze via AutoHotKey (unsuccessfully, but it is a work in progress).
That is all for now,
-Brandon

Updated download available below - control needs final tweaks and there are other minor things (ie the final tut backgrounds and updating the Main Menu background), however I think that everyone here has a right to evaluate this version as I was planning to have it out on Wednesday. Please enjoy the new "Windows Vista Ready" graphics :)
Post bugs (I don't know of any, just minor graphical updates) and flaws here, as always. Also PLEASE vote in the poll at the top of the page- as far as I know the new sprites work correctly with no problems.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:38 AM by wreckedcarzz »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2007, 02:50 AM »
ALRIGHT !!!!!!!!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

really really great work!!!  now we're talking!!!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

control feels really good.. a little easy maybe -- i'd love to see it with much faster dynamics (gravity,etc.) so that it might require a little more skill to control.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2007, 02:50 AM »
i like the new graphics too.  :up:

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2007, 02:56 AM »
OK cool. Just refreshed FF and saw all the smileys and went "WHOA!" ;D
I am hoping to have the new backgrounds done soon, but my friend Walt (graphics for MC) hasn't had time lately. I am *hoping* to have the final up on...well, sometime this week :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2007, 11:05 PM »
OK guys I need input here as I think MC 2.0 will be done and uploaded on Monday...
Should Maze Craze keep the new "Bonus" levels or should I just get rid of them?
PERSONALLY, I think I should trash them as there isn't really a purpose, and 2.0 features new levels (working on now), and it is simply a waste of time, effort and space.
Please post your opinion!
Thanks!
-Brandon

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2007, 11:14 PM »
yeah might as well get rid of "bonuses" and just make regular levels.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2007, 12:29 AM »
OK, I'll check back in a few minutes as well as tomorrow (my time) and see what the majority is (the topic isn't exactly popular, but nonetheless). Also, what should be done now (top priority)? Single player levels, single player enemies, larger levels, more two player levels, or something else?
-Brandon

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2007, 12:39 AM »
I'd focus more on single player levels and get rid of the bonuses, or else find a way to incorporate them into the game as secret levels or something.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2007, 01:07 AM »
Update of where files for Maze Craze will be available...
I will now be hosting the Maze Craze files on FileFront. I will always put links to the files so they can still be downloaded from here, but now I won't have to worry about the file size restrictions on the forum. Also I have found the original first ever version of Maze Craze (the very first version and very first level) so if anyone would like to see what started this, feel free to PM me. Please note that it is a large file (5MB+) so that may not be worth it.
-Brandon

Just some info- I have purchased Game Maker Pro and Walt Winstel (graphics designer) is preparing the introduction movie. I am not certain when 2.0 will be complete due to the fact that the tutorial backgrounds are still incomplete and I (obviously) do not want to release a half-complete game.

WOW! I have to give a HUGE THANKS to everyone who donated for the project, as I have collected an amazing $52.05 credits!!!!!!! Honestly I didn't think I would get any more then $15 total from everyone as I did not believe it was that popular!!! I am hoping to have the full version of Game Maker (http://www.gamemaker.nl) in 30 days, however I have PMed mouser in request to get the $25 ASAP to get the new features in quickly.

OK, complete update as the last 2 days I have been working on this 100%. I have added a few more major features, updated the tutorial, updated the Main Menu, added more levels, updated the documentation, made a new menu system, and the introduction video is about 50% complete! (this may not sound like much, but it was more works than it seems) Unfortunately, I ran into a problem right before I was going to upload "RC1", as I decided to run a crash course test of the new things, and found that the main menu did not work and the tutorial needed emergency help. I am now at Maze Craze 2.0 RC2 "Night Edition" and am simply waiting for the new backgrounds and another ball for a new special feature (its a secret, and may or may not be of use, but testing nor setup of it has completed). Basically if you don't mind the tutorial being Out-Of-Order, the game is complete for the 2.0 release! I have attempted to attach the newest version, however it failed :o. I will try to find another location to host it at for the time being.
-Brandon
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 08:55 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2007, 11:55 PM »
OK, Maze Craze Release Candidate 2 has been uploaded to FileFront and is available by going here: http://files.filefro...97951;/fileinfo.html
If anyone has any questions, bugs, ideas, things that should be added/changed/removed or anything else just post whatever it is here and I will look over it and answer it, fix it, possibly add it/change it/remove it or whatever else.
Enjoy (as I don't think there any any bugs, basically just play with it this time),
-Brandon

Edit: It has come to my attention that the primary graphics designer of Maze Craze (Walt Winstel) has decided to drop out (to more of a here and there/part-time type of help) from the project to pursue another that he is working on himself. :( The good news is that the 2.0 release is complete (as far as I know) but the bad news is that I can't make much graphical improvements myself, as I don't have the tools or the skills to work on graphical things (the initial release proved that). If anyone from the forum could help me out it would keep the graphics improving, as I have VERY little experience with any editing program other then Microsoft Paint and a little Paint .Net. :-[
Thanks all,
-Brandon
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 01:38 AM by wreckedcarzz »

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2007, 11:51 PM »
I might be able to do some graphic work for you in a day or so. :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2007, 12:33 AM »
Today's giveaway of the day in your signature is some kind of drawing program. Maybe you should get it and try it out.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2007, 06:53 PM »
OK everyone this is your LAST CHANCE to submit any bugs for the 2.0 RC2 release before it is finalized and the 2.0 version is officially available! PLEASE POST ANYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT IS A BUG/ERROR/PROBLEM HERE! Even a confusing or incomplete description will help, because I want to ensure that 2.0 is 100% perfect! :)
Thanks all!
-Brandon

Loki15

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2007, 08:20 AM »
I can still do graphics, just on a part time basis, I have since dropped my project, and can still help out.
R.I.P Terry Winstel, you were a musician, a hero, and a well loved man.  But above all, you were my dad. Forever in my heart 1953-2009.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2007, 07:43 PM »
If anyone is interested, the finalized version 2.0 is available here
http://files.filefro...34308;/fileinfo.html
not much has changed, but there are now system requirements (rough estimates), troubleshooting options (down to going all-out to fix anything) and I have updated the readme in general.
Please enjoy this (HOPEFULLY) bug-free release!
-Brandon :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2007, 09:43 PM »
How do you get rid of that annoying popup that blocks me from all site navigation after I click that download link? Filefront is teh suxx0rz.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2007, 01:17 AM »
I ran into the same popup getting a file from FileFront a day or two after uploading the PC2 and realized that unless your going to be a FileFront member it will annoy you to death, so I will have to find a new location that DOESN'T bug people ;D
Sorry for the inconvenience everyone,
-Brandon