topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Motion Jpeg (.mjpeg) player or convert to mpg?  (Read 18567 times)

i4get75

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Motion Jpeg (.mjpeg) player or convert to mpg?
« on: January 01, 2007, 01:46 PM »
I have an LG UX5000 that does video.  The video files it stores are .mjpg files.  I've read these are Motion Jpeg and I've tried three different codecs with no results.  I want to be able to convert the movie files to mpg or avi or atleast find a way to play them on my PC.

Freeware would be great also  :)

i4get75

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Motion Jpeg (.mjpeg) player or convert to mpg?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:04 PM »
Either they didn't work or I didn't know what I was doing.  The first link...that program didn't even recognize the file type.  Tried changing the file type and trying again but got read errors from the program.

None of the links mention file formats ending in mjpg.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 06:08 AM »
after experimenting with the file that you sent me, i4get75, the method that appears to work and is free is this...

download 'mplayer 1.0rc1 windows' from this site http://www.mplayerhq...u/design7/dload.html

extract the contents of the download to somewhere you can easily get to using a DOS command prompt, i.e. extract to a folder called 'mplayer' that is on the root of your C: drive (make sure that this folder 'mplayer' has the contents of the archive directly inside it and not yet another folder called 'mplayer' that then has the contents inside it - this is important for using the DOS commands.)

put the mjpg file you wish to convert into this 'mplayer' folder, i.e. so that the file is with all the other files that were extracted.

when you've done the above...

open a DOS command window - do this by opening the 'run' window in your 'start' menu.

in the 'run' window type cmd and press enter

a DOS window will appear

type cd\ then hit enter

type cd mplayer then hit enter

type mencoder.exe -ovc copy -ofps 12 yourfilename.mjpg -o out.avi and hit enter

this will convert the mjpg file named 'yourfilename.mjpg' to a file named 'out.avi' so you need to change the name of the input file name part in the command prompt above.

this information came from the 'digital video forums' http://forum.digital...p?t=64584&page=2

if this doesn't work i'm unfortunately not going to help much more as it worked perfectly here.

this method relies that you have the correct dos paths and directories in the right place so if you don't understand how to navigate around windows you'll not get very far.

good luck.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 08:20 AM »
Perhaps http://www.virtualdub.org/ could help as well - it's one of those "swiss army knives". But it's been a while since I used it, and I only used it for .avi files and with proper codecs installed.

nudone: (anal mode, sorry) there's no DOS in NT, what you're opening is a shell (in a console window). Again, sorry for being anal, but mentioning DOS in NT irks me a bit :)
- carpe noctem

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 10:04 AM »
you might get somewhere with virtualdub with the right mjpg codec installed - it didn't work for me after installing one but then i didn't reset the machine? i know i've used mjpg codecs in the past but i can't remember if it was with virtualdub.

dos smosh. i know you are right but i'm sure i'll have forgotten your wise words next time i need to refer to the command prompt and just call it dos anyway.

i4get75

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 04:00 PM »
The mplayer method worked but I get no sound and it's about twice the speed.  Any ideas?  I haven't tried the virtualdub yet...I'll try that now.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 01:24 AM »
the method using mplayer should adjust the speed of the clip - you can try typing in a different number other than the '12' as that was assumed to be the framerate of the original clip. if you try a lower number like 5 then you'll see the output clip's framerate become slower. if you don't then the player you are using must be ignoring the framerate information completely.

you'll probably need to experiment with a few number between 5 and 12 to get the perfect output framerate.

as for the sound - i don't know what can be done about that (i wrongly assumed there wasn't any audio with the original clip). looks like the mplayer method isn't that good afterall. maybe there is audio encoding information somewhere that you can find regarding mplayer.

i4get75

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 04:28 AM »
Ok, I'll try to adjust the framerate.  Hopefully someone else will come along and solve the sound issue.  Leave it to LG to not include software to get the vids off your phone.  Guess they think that the average user will just take the vids and leave them on the phone until they are tired of them.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 04:32 AM »
I don't think sony/ericsson includes software for their 3gp or whatever format either - and I haven't yet found an app that handles those very well either.

Btw, you might want to try getting hold of MediaPlayerClassic, VideoLan, and... what was that final player name, can't remember. Some of those are a bit better at playing back 'unconventional' formats than standard windows media player.
- carpe noctem

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 05:29 AM »
unfortunately, nothing seems to want to play the .mjpg file, except for mplayer.

videolan plays it too quickly - like within a millisecond.
gomplayer and kmplayer don't like it.
mpc, i've removed but i doubt it will play it as the above won't.
virtualdub(mod) won't even open it.

i'd guess that avisynth will be able to do something with it but i'm not hunting for the information.

mrvampi

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 06:42 PM »
Might or might not help, VirtualDub has its own internal Motion JPEG routines.

From the Open video file dialog, check the box near the bottom which says Ask for extended options after this dialog.
After you have clicked Open another dialog should come up, Import options: AVI import filter.
About half way down this under Decoder options, there is Use internal decoders for Motion JPEG and DV.

Also try running a sample video file through the various codec information tools
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

If it does not identify the video codec then at least it might give some information about the audio content.

Hope that helps a little.

i4get75

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 07:07 PM »
Still no luck.  VirtualDub gave me an error saying it couldn't detect the filetype.  MediaInfo only came up with the size of the file and GSpot only told me it was a JPEG image.  I'm starting to not like LG LOL. 

Thanks for all the help guys.  I'm attaching the file here so that if anyone wants to play around with it please feel free.

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 07:30 PM »
I get a video file that's only like one second long when i play it,could you upload something in the 5 to 10 range.

I can actually play with VLC player,but it's too short.

Converted to xvid
http://absurdvideo.g...epages.com/mov00.avi

It might actually only be an image file.It looks like one frame to me.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 07:38 PM by tinyvillager »

i4get75

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 07:39 PM »
Here is a zip of all three.  The first one I posted was a 15 second clip (maximum time for movies on the phone).  When I converted with other programs the clip goes extremely fast and has no audio.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 07:53 PM »
i4get75, try installing QuickTime or QuickTime Alternate.. movies from my sony-ericsson play fine with them.

also, maximum time for movies can be changed provided you have an add-on memory card. but user forums for this phone will have a better idea on how to do it, try googling for them..

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 08:01 PM »
i4get75, try installing QuickTime or QuickTime Alternate.. movies from my sony-ericsson play fine with them.

also, maximum time for movies can be changed provided you have an add-on memory card. but user forums for this phone will have a better idea on how to do it, try googling for them..

What he said,i can view one frame,one is a cat the other is a computer screen ,but i'm only getting one frame.

Just a side not,when you say your viewing them,is that on the back of your camera or on the PC ? 

i4get75

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 08:05 PM »
I can view them on the camera and they are fine but when I bring them to the computer, even when I've converted the video they are about three times the speed with no audio

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 08:22 PM »
I can view them on the camera and they are fine but when I bring them to the computer, even when I've converted the video they are about three times the speed with no audio
that is because the codecs do not match.. use GSpot to view the details of video file, then you'll have a better idea of which codec to use.. basically, you have uninstall the codecs that you have then install something like K-lite codecs package..

i4get75

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 08:34 PM »
Like I said a few posts ago, GSpot only tells me that it's a JPEG...no info on it at all.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 01:39 AM »
when i converted the file using the mplayer method i stated above - the converted file played back at a reasonable frame rate if you use 6 as the frame rate number.

if you aren't getting a realistic playback speed after that then it must be that the media player i'm using seems to understand better than the one you are using.

i've still no solution for the audio other than trying to understand the commands that mplayer can use for conversions.

Sarin Samuel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 08:34 AM »
Digital Media Converter is  a free video converter software that converts every type of media file. No adware, and completely virus free.  Supports almost any file format and it is a fast converter. It also does batch conversion and perfectly keeps your audio and video in sync.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 11:47 AM »
Sarin Samuel, will you please tell how you're connected to deskshare.com? You have posted thrice, and all three post are recommending deskshare programs, and deskshare programs only. Please don't get this wrong; you are allowed to recommend your own programs, but you ought to be straight with us and tell if it's your creation, or how you're affiliated.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:23 PM by Curt »