topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: i need an email stripper  (Read 5144 times)

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
i need an email stripper
« on: December 26, 2006, 01:12 PM »
Looking for something that I can only describe as an email stripper?

example scenario:
I use ABCbank.com for my online banking needs. They offer free personalized email alerts. So whenever I get my employer direct deposit, I receive an email stating such: Dear Sir, blah blah ... amount of $1,234.56 has been deposited in account 123xyz ... date 12/25/06 ... etc etc.
I get these emails to my Gmail account, and using its filter system, I have these emails forwarded to my cellphone (especially when I am urgently awaiting a deposit).
But the email usually tends to be about 4-5 pages at 160 characters each, cause text messages are limited to 160. I need smaller messages.

So basically I need an application or something that will strip all the unnecessary content of the email, except for what I require: dollar amounts, dates, account number, etc.

Someone may suggest a AHK script, but I'm not good at it yet. But then perhaps there is already something like this on the market? hhmm, I dunno. Maybe?
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
Re: i need an email stripper
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 01:09 AM »
no hints?
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 06:13 AM »
I'd say have a look at regular expressions. See if you can implement something that filters dollar ammounts, (e.g. \$\d+) out of the plain text of the email. Problem is, you'll have to download the entire email text, then filter locally (unless you have access to the gmail server :) ), so I don't think this solution is feasible. Plus of course, each regular expression will be highly specific to the bank email format, and it will break havoc on any other email... so you should make sure it gets applied to only mail from bank.

Hope that helps.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 07:15 AM »
Do you need an email-program-agnostic solution, which will run prior to any email client receiving the email (which would be an interesting program, sort of like a pop proxy which did regex replacement according to user script), or do you have an email client you want to write a script with (like thebat)?

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 09:52 AM »
I'd say have a look at regular expressions.
eek. im afraid of regular expressions ... well, actually, i just dont like them.lol.

Hope that helps.
yes it did, thank you.

Do you need an email-program-agnostic solution, which will run prior to any email client receiving the email (which would be an interesting program, sort of like a pop proxy which did regex replacement according to user script), or do you have an email client you want to write a script with (like thebat)?
thats the thing Mr.Mouser, i don't know which would work most efficiently: run app/script before email client receives mail, or after?

ah yes, i remember TheBat. I really liked it, but when i bought my smartphone, i had to switch back to MS outlook. i currently use Thunderbird for my POP3 email.

if it helps, I have $19.12 DonationCredits to the solution holder of this!
i been needing something like this for a long while.

X_____jamjammo_____

bobdec

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 10:24 PM »
Have you tried stripmail it is a free program and works well for me.
http://www.snapfiles...oad/dlstripmail.html
Bob