topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Quick spell-check of highlighted text  (Read 8826 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Quick spell-check of highlighted text
« on: July 17, 2005, 05:59 PM »
anyone have interest in me adding a feature to my clipboard helper tool which would let you select text, hit a hotkey, and have it copy selected text to clipboard and launch a small edit window with  spellchecker functionality and spelling errors underlined.  After correcting you could hit cancel to do nothing or accept to paste the corrected text back to the original window.

?

chr15

• Site Programmer
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
  • Everything in life is a gamble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Quick spell-check of highlighted text
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 05:09 AM »
Idea:
Maybe also have the option of Changing the case to all upper, or all lower or first upper and the rest lower.

If this is included it would suddenly appear on my pc ;)

As this is one of the pains I experience on daily basis when using various programs, and not noticing the content on screen until I have finished typing the line or more often the case several lines at a time.

Chris

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 05:46 AM »
changing case is found in several clipboard tools and hotkey programs, but i will happily add it to clipboard helper along with spell check.

ps. i believe spellcheck will be added; i have located a good component for it.

ps2. i need a new better name for the tool soon.. the age old dilemna.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 04:40 PM »
i should have new substantial version of this tool soon-
it will be migrated to one of the official dc applications because it has grown in scope beyond a coding snack and i will entertain any clipboard related other suggestions.

new name is (unless i get a better suggestion before it goes public):
Clipboard Help+Spell

cracksloth

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 06:42 PM »
another feature...  the ability to remove formatting from text in the clipboard (essentially what is achieved when you paste formatted text into notepad and re-copy it).  i hate copying something from the web and having it full of tables and crap.  another problem when copying text from a browser is that images are not retained.  word seems to be one of the few programs that get around this by automatically downloading the images in the background when it is pasted.  it would be *really* useful if Clip&Spell (my vote for a name) would automatically detect web references to images and insert them appropriately.  the current solution is to paste into word and then re-copy it and paste into the program of choice.  and, finally, the option to "remove formatting except for images".  this would reduce the clipboard contents to plain text except that images are retained.  i am not sure how the clipboard handles rich text that is copied.  if it is not possible to have both plain text and images simultaneously, then Clip&Spell would have to treat it kind of like a macro where it pastes:
  - the first block of text
  - then the 1st image
  - then another block of text
  - then the 2nd image, etc.

anyway, this would be very useful to anyone who does a lot of internet research or those who archive interesting articles (html never pastes properly).

-cracksloth