topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 25, 2024, 2:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Outlook Nightmares...  (Read 7750 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Outlook Nightmares...
« on: October 10, 2006, 10:31 PM »
I've used Outlook, and I know what it feels like to be buggered with a razor wire baseball bat... :(

Holy mother of mercy! HELP~!

Outlook crashed on startup 100%. Got that fixed. Now I have 10's of thousands of duplicate messages. (About 40k or so.) And the duplicate remove I've used has only helped moderately.

I still have about 15k messages that are unread. :( I keep meticulous track of my messages, and now they're all polluted.

Personally, I'd love to murder the entire Outlook team at MS then do the same to the guys that chose Outlook as the company email software. But as I like my freedom, that's out of the question. (Shouldn't bad IT decisions be grouped in with the 'justifiable homicide' category?)

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix a totally screwed inbox? I don't want to read 15k messages... Again...

The Basic Problem: My inbox now has duplicates of emails that I've already read or responded to. I don't want to delete those. I want to delete the unread ones. And the software I used just doesn't help to fix things.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Outlook Nightmares...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 03:40 PM »
someone posted recently about some outlook duplicate killers, i'll try to find the post if you cant.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 04:10 PM »
someone posted recently about some outlook duplicate killers, i'll try to find the post if you cant.
There was one that I found, but it was for removing duplicate contacts.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 08:41 PM »
i don't use outlook but you can search here for such tools.

http://www.snapfiles.com

« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 08:48 PM by lanux128 »

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 09:54 PM »
Try this : I think it's quite good. I "used to use it" until I switch over to Gmail. If I remember it correctly, it worked quite well for me.

MAPILab - Duplicate Email Remover - Outlook plugin for deleting duplicate emails and posts
"Duplicate Email Remover
Current version: 2.14.2

Duplicate Email Remover is a powerful and flexible Microsoft Outlook plugin intended for the search and processing of duplicated mail messages in Microsoft Outlook folders.

This Outlook plugin processes both email messages and posts in mail-type Microsoft Outlook folders. To remove contacts, notes, tasks, journal and calendar items, please try another our Outlook tool — Duplicates Remover for Outlook plugin.

Please, pay your attention that Duplicate Email Remover can be used with Microsoft Office Outlook only. If you use Outlook Express, look at another MAPILab software - Remove Duplicates from Outlook Express plugin.

You can use this Outlook plugin to find mail message copies both in a single folder and in different folders. A duplicate message found can be:
# marked with flag Red flag
# deleted
# copied to any folder you choose
# moved to any folder you choose

Duplicate Email Remover Screenshot So, you can easily test this Outlook plugin and preview messages you may need to delete.

The Priority system within the plugin is used to search for duplicates across several folders. Using the priority system, you can specify, for example, that of the two identical messages stored in the folders "Important Letters" and "Temporary Folder", it is the message from the temporary folder that should be considered the duplicate and hence needs to be deleted (marked, moved).

Duplicate Email Remover is Outlook plugin, that is fully compatible with Microsoft "
http://www.mapilab.c...k/duplicate_remover/

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 11:05 AM »
That's the one I bought - the MapiLab one. It worked ok, but not perfectly. I ended up having to use it a trillion times as the multifolder option didn't clean things quite right.

Anyways, after 4 days I got Outlook back to a semi-manageable state. I ended up deleting around 90k emails. Not fun.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 11:08 AM »
just a friendly reminder to people that you might consider giving out credits when people post something helpful to you (remember you can give someone as little as 1 cent!).

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 08:37 AM »
just a friendly reminder to people that you might consider giving out credits when people post something helpful to you (remember you can give someone as little as 1 cent!).
Honestly, it's just such a very cool system that I sometimes forget about. I need to use it more. Thanks for the reminder.

It's just that this is the ONLY place that has it. I should mention this to Bruce at WWF. Or better yet, you should mention it to Bruce as it's your idea mouser.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 04:18 PM »
There has been talk of trying to propagate the DC credits system to other forums. Mouser, maybe we should revisit that?

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 10:49 AM »
actually anyone can use it on any forum, but you need to have a forum account here where the credits can be kept track of.

but you can add a "CodyCoin" link and fun image to any profile or page anyway on any site.  Just see the instructions here:  https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=4406.0

furthermore i encourage all of you to fill out your "donation blurbs" and add a direct paypal link so that people can donate directly to you and bypass the donationcredits system if they want to.

When people click on your CodyCoin link they will get taken to a page where they can donate some credits to you if they already have an account here, or make a donation to the site to fill their account (by the way the system will remember that they came to donate to you and remind them of this fact after they activate their account), or make a direct donation to you through any direct donation links you have configured.

I encourage people to put the links on their pages as a way of letting people know they accept donations and that people can donate to them safely through DC, in as small an amount as they want.  Now that we are giving back 100% of donations in the form of credits, its a nice way for people to support each other.

Renegade, please do feel free to mention it to WWF or WTO or WOW or WTF or any other acronymized organizations.  ;)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 03:55 PM »
Yes, of course that is a good way to deal with it currently. But it is rather convoluted to donate "to DonationCoder.com" just to then redirect the donation to someone else. I'm still interested in the idea of providing a central service that other forums could tie into. But maybe that was a subtle hint you don't want to deal with it now. ;)

- Oshyan

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 05:30 PM »
Or release the donation system as a donationware module to SMF forums ?

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 08:18 PM »
Right, that's one approach. I'd love to see DC get a little word of mouth from other forums through this, so the hosted/central server approach may be better in that regard. I also don't know how Mouser feels about opening the code. But I do think such systems have positive benefit and lots of other sites might enjoy using them.

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 08:44 PM »
Or release the donation system as a donationware module to SMF forums ?
I've been slowly taking the time to release some of my mods to smf community; last week i made my inline image attachment mod available as a real package: http://mods.simplema...rg/index.php?mod=493

however, i think the DonationCredits mod is an unlikely candidate for release by me.  it's a giant thing and getting it all cleaned up and documented would be a major headache.  It also involves a ton of modifications that are spread out throughout many files which makes it a huge pain.  But the part that makes me most reluctant is just that it involves dealing with real money, and i'd be very nervous, not coming from a business background, at having people use code of mine that deals in real monetary transactions.  It seems to me the liability and likelyhood of someone losing money somehow and deciding to sue me would be not-insignificant..
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 09:19 PM by mouser »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 09:00 PM »
That's a fair enough point. I wonder if there is any truly safe software license that could be used for that kind of thing. :D

- Oshyan