topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: TextMate - Mac OS X Coding Heaven  (Read 8755 times)

Redhat

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TextMate - Mac OS X Coding Heaven
« on: September 25, 2006, 02:01 AM »
Basic Info

App NameTextMate
App URLhttp://www.macromates.com
App Version Reviewed1.5.3
Test System SpecsiMac (Intel Core Duo), 512mb RAM, 250gb HDD, 20" Monitor
Supported OSesMac OS X
Support MethodsForum, Email, Mailing List
Upgrade PolicyI believe all updates (minor/major) are free (not 100% sure)
Trial Version Available?Fully-functional 30day trial
Pricing Scheme€39 (Euros)

Picture 1-2.png

Intro:

TextMate is probably the best text-editor for the Mac OS X operating system. This program, for the price, has blown me away. I can't personally afford it at the moment, but the trial is running fully-functional for me (and will for 30 days). The feature-set is extensive and the program itself is in active development. It recently won a "Best Developer Tool Award" at WWDC (Official Apple Event - I think). Here are just some of the main features presented on the front-page of their site:

* Ability to Search and Replace in a Project
* Auto-Indent for Common Actions Like Pasting Text
* Auto-Pairing of Brackets and Other Characters
* Clipboard History
* Column Selections and Column Typing
* Completion of Words from Current Document
* CSS-like Selectors to Pinpoint the Scope of Actions and Settings
* Declarative Language Grammars for Graceful Mixing and Hacking
* Dynamic Outline for Working With Multiple Files
* Expand Trigger Words to Code Blocks With Tab-able Placeholders
* File Tabs when Working With Projects
* Foldable Code Blocks
* Function Pop-up for Quick Overview and Navigation
* Plug-able Through Your Favorite Scripting Language
* Recordable Macros With No Programming Required
* Regular Expression Search and Replace (grep)
* Run Shell Commands from Within a Document
* Support for Darcs, Perforce, SVK, and Subversion
* Support for More Than 50 Languages
* Switch Between Files in Projects With a Minimum of Key Strokes
* Themable Syntax Highlight Colors
* Visual Bookmarks to Jump Between Places in a File
* Works As External Editor for (s)ftp Programs
* Works Together With Xcode and Can Build Xcode Projects

Who is this app designed for:

It's mainly for people that already have a fair idea of what a text-editor is used for. It isn't a "hold your hand" application - but having said that - it isn't hard to use at all. It's the perfect balance between rookie, and poweruser. It delivers to this demographic exceptionally well.

The Good

Where do I start? The price (€39) is fantastic for what you get. I believe it includes all future minor and major updates. It is highly highly extensible through "bundles" (plugins) and you get a fair few included already. Many many others are available for free download. There is even a bundle for blogging! And almost every language you could think of (see screenshot above for the included bundle list). Whilst the interface looks bare, the features are really in the menus at the top. It is so lightweight for what it does. Oh and spell-checking is fab too!

The needs improvement section

Nothing specifically stands out to be honest. Maybe the blogging bundle could be made to be a little easier to operate, but I am afraid that is the only real criticism I could find. I know, it's sad, but also quite extraordinary at the same time! 

Why I think you should use this product

Well, if you are a Mac user, you may already be using it.. but if you aren't, then this program will make your work so much more efficient it's untrue!

How does it compare to similar apps

I'm afraid I haven't had time to assess the competition, but it fulfills my needs so sufficiently that I do not think there is reason for me to look.

Conclusions

Textmate packs a serious punch for the exceptional price tag. There is many avenues of support (including IRC) and it's my favourite app for Mac that I have found as of yet.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: TextMate - Mac OS X Coding Heaven
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 02:05 AM »
nice, i think we must have a couple of mac osx users here who will appreciate this  :up:

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 05:05 AM »
One thing I can already see I dislike about mac: having the menu bar at the very top of the screen instead of per-application-window. That's a long way to move your mouse on a dual-monitor 1280x1024 setup if you have the app window in the lower-right area of your right screen :)

I've heard a lot of mac users praise TextMate, but it's feature list doesn't seem that impressive to me. I might just be missing something though :)
- carpe noctem

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 06:53 AM »
I've seen TextMate in alot of screen casts (RoR, etc.), and it looks wicked.. At first it looked a bit weird (the colors, etc.) but after playing with it, it's pretty powerful.. And the colorful schemes give a bit of personality.. :P, but on a more useful side, the color schemes provide easy identification of variables, operators, etc.

On a side note, there are two (2) Windows clones available (even if they say they're not clones.. ). They look and act alot like TextMate, but are still under heavy development.. and both are commercial, and both offer trial periods.
  • InType
  • E - A java based clone of TextMate, depends heavily on cygwin

The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:35 AM by mitzevo »