topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Saturday April 27, 2024, 4:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Visual Basic 6 App.s in need of way to charge for usage, ideas?  (Read 8858 times)

OptimalDesigns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
  • (retired) Mathematical Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Calculus (level) Problem Solving; Examples & Compiler
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
5 App.s have a Windows front-end written in Visual Basic (6) that submits a DOSbox program for executing.  I would like to charge for usage after 'x' days of usage similar to streaming TV channels due; i.e., no usage then no charges until usage begins again.

Each DOS app may be started with the front-end OR a batch file that by-passes the front-end.  After 'x' days, these runs must verify that it is a 'paying' customer.

Anyone interested in solving this problem?

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Visual Basic 6 App.s in need of way to charge for usage, ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 02:55 PM »
Hello Phil, you need to setup a SaaS on a Windows VPS with payment provider integration (Paypal IPN, other).

There must be a running HTTP service on the VPS that handles translation of the user input that comes from the browser and maps it to your Windows app.

If it is a remote terminal emulator you're after, I can see a service based on something like Xtermjs (http://xtermjs.org).

If it is forwarding input to the GUI of your Visual Basic 6 app, then any front-end framework that matches the input fields you have can do (Foundation, SemanticUI, other).

If you want pixel-by-pixel mirroring of the VB6 program to the web client, that's harder to do yet possible. You don't want VNC, you want to redirect/buffer a single Window instance per paying customer into the authorized web browser.

This is not a trivial project. Since it is more on the commercial/enterprise side, you may want to negotiate with an "old timer" full-stack developer that understands both modern front-end and traditional back-end. Ideally, someone with experience since the DOS/VB6 era who's also active with modern technologies.

Good news: I fit the bill & suit the skills! :up:

Anyone interested in solving this problem?
-OptimalDesigns (November 03, 2023, 11:28 AM)

I can do it for a most-reasonable fee (you may ask on the freelancing websites but full-stack developers aren't usually on the cheap. Side-stepping via hiring multiple programmers and demanding them to work together as a team can prove to bring ever higher costs).

In this case, it's better to stick with a single developer who understands all the moving parts.

A very fair setup would be $100 upfront + $100 on completion.

That is more than fair for developing such a commercial app (it is actually a "fellow DC member" price!).

Of course, the downside being you'll have to accommodate me doing it as a side project, which means at least a couple weeks realistically.

I doubt hiring a dedicated full-stack developer or developers full-time demanding fast completion would give you this price to be honest. They may try squeezing your pocket leaning more to the 4-figure side.

You are also supporting more free releases for the community since any and all of your support is accounted as going toward our PD project, including you in the supporters list  :-*

What do you say? A good ol' hire for a fixed amount :)

Cheers!
Vic
My name's Victor but do feel free to call me Vic! (now known as "paradisusvic")

❤️ Support on Patreon @ www.patreon.com/paradisusis
New Email/Paypal: paradisusvicgmail.com

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 06:04 PM »
Oh! By the way, if you choose to go with me, it would be awesome to have your permission to "share the journey" here from the technical side (nothing specific/private from your project, but regarding the technological side itself --i.e. the actual software stack and its interconnections / how to's).

This can add to a great set of interesting DC articles... you don't really get to see much of "Connect VB6/DOSBOX to Paypal IPN" these days! :Thmbsup:

Cheers & many thanks again.

OptimalDesigns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 09:20 AM »
Hello Phil, you need to setup a SaaS on a Windows VPS with payment provider integration (Paypal IPN, other).

There must be a running HTTP service on the VPS that handles translation of the user input that comes from the browser and maps it to your Windows app.

If it is a remote terminal emulator you're after, I can see a service based on something like Xtermjs (http://xtermjs.org).

If it is forwarding input to the GUI of your Visual Basic 6 app, then any front-end framework that matches the input fields you have can do (Foundation, SemanticUI, other).

If you want pixel-by-pixel mirroring of the VB6 program to the web client, that's harder to do yet possible. You don't want VNC, you want to redirect/buffer a single Window instance per paying customer into the authorized web browser.

This is not a trivial project. Since it is more on the commercial/enterprise side, you may want to negotiate with an "old timer" full-stack developer that understands both modern front-end and traditional back-end. Ideally, someone with experience since the DOS/VB6 era who's also active with modern technologies.

Good news: I fit the bill & suit the skills! :up:
Hmm, could you put this in simple english for an old guy, please?

Your offer sounds good to me.  More on my idea.  2 Apps are free for anyone to use; the other 3 would be charged after say one week of free usage.  If either of 3 is charged, then ALL may be used under the umbrella.

The monthly charge/fee should be $30 as of today.

A terminal running 24/7, how is this done?

Phil

OptimalDesigns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 09:23 AM »
Oh! By the way, if you choose to go with me, it would be awesome to have your permission to "share the journey" here from the technical side (nothing specific/private from your project, but regarding the technological side itself --i.e. the actual software stack and its interconnections / how to's).

This can add to a great set of interesting DC articles... you don't really get to see much of "Connect VB6/DOSBOX to Paypal IPN" these days! :Thmbsup:
It okay with me ... great idea :)

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2023, 11:44 AM »
Hmm, could you put this in simple english for an old guy, please?
-OptimalDesigns (November 05, 2023, 09:20 AM)

Sure.

We will use the technology matching what you want your users to get in their browser.

Any one of the following:

a) If it is a terminal/console window reflecting the DOSBox program: we use Xtermjs (embedded terminal for web pages)

b) If it is a web page reflecting what the VB6 app emits. We use regular HTML.

c) If it is forwarding the VB6/DOSBox itself as shown on the server, there are multiple options.

It depends on what you want your users to interact with (Which choice from the above).

More on my idea. 2 Apps are free for anyone to use; the other 3 would be charged after say one week of free usage. 

If either of 3 is charged, then ALL may be used under the umbrella.

Okay, so this means a database for registered members is enabled.

When a member is registered but has not paid, he would only be able to access the 2 free apps.

When a member visits any of the 3 apps, he is invited to start a free trial of 7 days. The start date is saved.

At the end of the 7 days, he must checkout for $30 so he is granted 30 more days of access to ALL apps :Thmbsup:

The monthly charge/fee should be $30 as of today.

Got it. The amount is configured via Paypal button's HTML. It can be edited/modified in the future.

A terminal running 24/7, how is this done?

The Windows server runs it in the background.

The user connects to the HTTP service by means of the web browser.

After a certain timeout, the usage session is terminated but the terminal keeps running on the server.

Your offer sounds good to me.

Wonderful! The sooner we start the better!

Please send the first $100 paypal to publicdomainvic@gmail.com to begin development

It okay with me ... great idea :)
-OptimalDesigns (November 05, 2023, 09:23 AM)

Super! I'm glad to publish something like this here on DC  :up:

My birthday is this month so this is also special as the extra income adds-up as a birthday present for me & also helps my family  :-* 🤗

Thank you Phil.

From a most-grateful,
Vic

OptimalDesigns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 04:59 PM »
After a certain timeout, the usage session is terminated but the terminal keeps running on the server.

Your offer sounds good to me.
-OptimalDesigns (Today at 07:20:15 AM)

Wonderful! The sooner we start the better!

Please send the first $100 paypal to [email protected] to begin development

Please download the CurvFit App, install it, and run a few demo files to get an idea on how things flow.

I sent you $100 via PayPal just a few minutes ago :)

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2023, 05:54 PM »
Thank you Phil! It's acknowledged & we're officially starting the development of your VB6/DOSbox project :Thmbsup:

I already downloaded the "curvfit-install-v-6.7.exe" file from https://goal-driven.net/apps/curvfit.html

Chances are I ask for more detailed information via email / private side.

(There will be public updates as the technology pieces come to fit together --that is, as we actually connect the web browser to the back-end, build the PayPal instant payment notification handling, etc.)

Your positive engagement is very appreciated indeed :-*

From a grateful,
🤗
Vic

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 09:22 AM »
Hi Phil, please check last email as we're moving into the actual Windows server setup  :Thmbsup:

Thanks.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2023, 03:41 PM »
From my point of view you would need two things.
1. A HTTPS WebServer with some kind of Database/SQL and PHP support
2. Modify your apps to be not executable on its own, instead only per Launcher/Loader

Technical aspect is, Launcher offering a registration/login page, that can of course be stored for automatic usage later, on the registration page you offer your service to let people pre-paid their account, that information gets stored on the WebServer Database, now each time user runs an application a specific amount gets cutted from that Database until there is nothing left to cut.

That would be my way of handling such.
All of this can be realized in any programming language since you do just external web calls.

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 04:37 PM »
From my point of view you would need two things.
1. A HTTPS WebServer with some kind of Database/SQL and PHP support
2. Modify your apps to be not executable on its own, instead only per Launcher/Loader

Hello dear KZ,

1) I'm currently checking Phil's program feasibility of running it on a Linux VPS via Windows emulator which could cut development time to a few days only(!) since I have done similar private SaaS projects several times on Linux (most common setup MySQL/PHP combo).

2) The apps are always launched by the custom HTTP server/service after checking it's an authorized user. That's the very gist of it!

Thanks for your input 🤗

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2023, 09:08 PM »
UPDATE:

While Phil's current website setup is Linux-based, we are hiring a Windows VPS to have the least moving parts (i.e. having the real Windows environment instead of an emulation layer, granting us more stability).

The plan is to have it hosted in a subdomain (apps.goal-driven.net) with a custom HTTP service receiving user requests and running the programs based on them.

The idea is having separate databases aiming at not disturbing what Phil currently has AND also giving me total freedom regarding the software stack :up: Win/Win.

Okay! The whole thing should be up & running somewhere next week, with full user management + Paypal integration.

After the app is in a viable state, a thread recalling the experience is due.

I am enjoying connecting the parts, to make them work as an orchestration  :-*

Cheers!
Vic

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2023, 01:59 PM »
we are hiring a Windows VPS

It's on. Windows 10 pro virtual private server.

Currently developing the user management system in order to handle the Paypal IPN (instant payment notification) :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 07:32 AM by publicdomain »

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2023, 07:42 AM »
Final update: the project was halted in good terms and Phil generously completed support (which will be used to sponsor public releases under his name).

I am assisting in other capacities (e.g. currently assisting with Paypal's date code implementation in VB6).