topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MS Edge non-enterprise 64 bit exists?  (Read 5553 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MS Edge non-enterprise 64 bit exists?
« on: April 07, 2023, 09:37 AM »
Microsoft Edge 64 bit downloads keep bringing me to the Enterprise Edition.  If I am running Windows 11 Home edition isn't that overkill?  Seems like it should not be this tough to find out what the deal is.  I wonder if the preinstalled version is lugging around too much database crap.  As I update it seems to get less stable.  So for now I have done the updater wammy similar to Opera.  Namely renaming the update exe file so that the About Box arrow spins forever.

Anyone have insight to simplify the issue?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MS Edge non-enterprise 64 bit exists?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 08:21 AM »
From what I can gather, Enterprise Edition comes as an MSI installer whereas run of the mill 64 bit Edge is an EXE.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 03:59 PM »
The Microsoft .exe installers are often just a wrapper around an MSI installer. MSI is a little easier to integrate in automated deployment.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 05:01 PM »
The Microsoft .exe installers are often just a wrapper around an MSI installer. MSI is a little easier to integrate in automated deployment.

That sounds like it fits with what I found.  The download from the Microsoft Business page is MSI.  I don't know how the person found the Edge page not under Business in the spiderweb on MS servers.  He must have known the secret handshake.   8)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 01:24 PM »
From my understanding the Edge EE.msi is just a full package installer, as opposed to the downloaded style installers that are so popular these days. The end result is the same (no feature/restriction/option changes), it's just easier to deploy via push or in heavily restricted environments.

I first came across in when trying to install a browser on either an 08 or 12 server (i forget) that could not successfully run the usual downloader installer.

Now it's all I ever use, because it's just faster and easier to install.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 07:30 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I installed the 64 bit version from an .msi and didn't notice a difference.  So you must be right.  I have to admit Edge is my default now.  I had a kludge hotkey program to copy selected text, then paste it into a word processor with a large font to make reading tiny text possible.  Now I just select the text and use the Immersive reader thing.  Much better.   :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 06:54 PM »
Edge non-enterprise versions: https://www.microsof.../en-us/edge/download
I have never been offered the Enterprise version, (once installed, you never go there again, because of the automated updates), so please report back if my link is wrong.

ibay770

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 07:19 PM »
Microsoft Edge 64 bit downloads keep bringing me to the Enterprise Edition.  If I am running Windows 11 Home edition isn't that overkill?  Seems like it should not be this tough to find out what the deal is.  I wonder if the preinstalled version is lugging around too much database crap.  As I update it seems to get less stable.  So for now I have done the updater wammy similar to Opera.  Namely renaming the update exe file so that the About Box arrow spins forever.

Anyone have insight to simplify the issue?

It's microsoft so there is alot of telemetry and whatnot in the background slowing it down. (in all fairness, most other companies do it too)
But fear not, someone made a hosts file to block the tracking. https://www.reddit.c...acking_in_microsoft/