ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MS Edge non-enterprise 64 bit exists?

(1/2) > >>

MilesAhead:
Microsoft Edge 64 bit downloads keep bringing me to the Enterprise Edition.  If I am running Windows 11 Home edition isn't that overkill?  Seems like it should not be this tough to find out what the deal is.  I wonder if the preinstalled version is lugging around too much database crap.  As I update it seems to get less stable.  So for now I have done the updater wammy similar to Opera.  Namely renaming the update exe file so that the About Box arrow spins forever.

Anyone have insight to simplify the issue?

MilesAhead:
From what I can gather, Enterprise Edition comes as an MSI installer whereas run of the mill 64 bit Edge is an EXE.

Ath:
The Microsoft .exe installers are often just a wrapper around an MSI installer. MSI is a little easier to integrate in automated deployment.

MilesAhead:
The Microsoft .exe installers are often just a wrapper around an MSI installer. MSI is a little easier to integrate in automated deployment.
-Ath (April 09, 2023, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

That sounds like it fits with what I found.  The download from the Microsoft Business page is MSI.  I don't know how the person found the Edge page not under Business in the spiderweb on MS servers.  He must have known the secret handshake.   8)

Stoic Joker:
From my understanding the Edge EE.msi is just a full package installer, as opposed to the downloaded style installers that are so popular these days. The end result is the same (no feature/restriction/option changes), it's just easier to deploy via push or in heavily restricted environments.

I first came across in when trying to install a browser on either an 08 or 12 server (i forget) that could not successfully run the usual downloader installer.

Now it's all I ever use, because it's just faster and easier to install.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version