topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Need ur advice! Which language to learn.  (Read 3617 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Need ur advice! Which language to learn.
« on: July 25, 2022, 09:42 AM »
Hello folks, i am really quite puzzled and don't which way to head first.
But i have taken course in Udemy for Python.
Clipboard01.jpgNeed ur advice! Which language to learn.
I have comepleted the course but it left me with a scratch on my head.
I thought what could i do with it.
But let me tell u, what i want to do with learning to program.
First of all i want to make interactive GUI application for various needs.
I want to start it off as a hobby, there are quite a good number of courses in Udemy but now they don't offer
discount. But that is not the problem. But i don't know which to start of with.

But i have few application like 32bit Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 and 2019 right now which is a C++ program.
So there is also one called C#. So C#, C++, Java, etc etc which should be the easy way out.
I personally want C++, because i had learned it on my School days and now i am 42 yrs old.
I really don't have much free time. But it wont be forever.
So can some experienced person suggest what are the needed language i should go for and what should i keep in mind
before diving deep in it.

Much thanks for ur time. I know i am not a geek, but i have free time. Maybe like Python i wont be able to do anything with C++.
Any suggestion.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need ur advice! Which language to learn.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 11:11 AM »
Quick answer from a C++ coder.
Given your desire to focus on GUI stuff, I think C# would be a better choice than C++.

C++ is great for people who need to squeeze out maximum speed, but really wasn't designed for GUI stuff, and it shows.
C# has more modern elements and is much more friendly to GUI development.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 01:34 PM »
Quick answer from a C++ coder.
Given your desire to focus on GUI stuff, I think C# would be a better choice than C++.

C++ is great for people who need to squeeze out maximum speed, but really wasn't designed for GUI stuff, and it shows.
C# has more modern elements and is much more friendly to GUI development.

I have to agree with Mouser.  I lost interest in VC++ when they started pushing "xamarin" UI stuff.  It is more like web design with tags than Windows programming.  C# is similar to Delphi Rapid Application Development.  The guys from Borland must have coded it for MS.  Even the forms are named "TForm1" when you create them.  Just like Delphi.  Plus you can find freeware controls written by programmers who will let you use them freely in many cases.  Definitely more fun than VC++.

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 02:39 PM »
I'm learning Rust and enjoying a lot.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 08:35 AM »
i really want to make a application that i can translate local language to my native language.
Of course according to history, there were no native from the place where i belong.
But our community's language is seriously getting lost in modern times.
So i think my choice of language would be C# (C Sharp) yeah!

Anyways could u guys tell me, i have Visual Studio 2017 and whenever i create a new project, it has the option to
create a Visual C# project, so! My question is; Is Visual C# similar to C#, or could i code in Visual Studio 2017 the way C# is meant to be coded.
I hope it is understandable, i will rephrase that again, whatever compiler i use according to Udemy's instructor, could i use VS 2017 to write C# codes.
 :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 09:57 AM »
I'm not an expert in this but some quick replies:

Unlike other Microsoft specific languages like "Visual Basic", I believe these days there is really just C# and I don't think people talk about "visual" C# much these days, and there is no reason you need to think about it like that.  The language is just C#.

Now Visual Studio is a fine IDE editor and development environment for C# coding but there are others that may be less overwheleming.  I certainly find Visual Studio intimidating though I do use it sometimes.
You mention Visual Studio 2017.. I believe the current free one is 2019, and I'm not sure if there would be any reason not to use that.

The one thing to keep in mind perhaps is that C# is essentially cross platform now, so that you can code on windows but use on mac/linux, except that there are some libraries and tools that are only available on windows.  When considering what tools and libraries to use, I would suggest favoring those that are cross platform compatible.

There are definitely tools and libraries for writing C# code that can be easily translated to different languages.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 11:08 AM »
Thank you mouser for clearing that up, i definitely just needed that information.
Yes, VB 2017 is very intimidating and little overwhelming for beginners. But the compiler is free to download unlike Delphi ( sounds uninspiring ).
But i think i will stick with VB 2017 and 2019. Visual Basic 2019 and before were compatible with 32 bit architecture.
I believe Visual Basic 2022 is out; for Professional, Community and Enterprise version. But its only for 64 bit machine and i still do not have one. :(
But i downloaded the bootstrapper file and downloaded it for offline installation, came close to 30 GB. Both Pro and Enterprise.
Offline installation package of Visual Studio 2022
Spoiler
vs_enterprise.exe --layout c:\localVSlayout --lang en-US

Run this from commandline and leave it overnight for it to download and voila. VB 2022 on C:\  :P
I am fired to create an application that really translates to my native language.
I am thinking of creating an android app too, if i know C++.

Its just the way the programmers use terms and some terminology or english language while they teach is really mind boggling and
brain rattling. But its human who are programming, and i hope i can achieve that goal too.
I will definitely share it here at donationcoder first.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 12:07 PM »
It's not Visual "BASIC"  -- that's a language, it's visual STUDIO.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 10:26 PM »
Tell me which version is out i.e., Visual Basic. Ohh its not VB Studio u were looking for then, yeah.

Here is a link to Microsoft Visual "BASIC 6.0 Professional Edition:
Download here:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 09:35 PM by hulkbuster »