topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The End of the Atom Editor  (Read 4688 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The End of the Atom Editor
« on: June 08, 2022, 08:14 PM »
I tried it back in the day, but didn't find anything better than Sublime Text... then I started using VS Code, and it was better than both. I guess a lot of people had similar experiences.

Today GitHub announced it will archive Atom and all projects under the Atom organization for an official sunset on December 15, 2022.

Did anyone else use Atom?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The End of the Atom Editor
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 01:55 AM »
Did anyone else use Atom?
Nope, tried it once, a couple of years ago, and couldn't get along with it very well, so stayed at Notepad++, until someone showed me the benefits of VSCode, and I've been kind of an addict for that ever since :tellme: (though I also use NPP for some tasks).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 03:27 AM »
I think I tried Atom around the time that VS Code was first announced because I heard VS Code was based on Atom. But it didn't stick.

I still use Notepad++ most of the time for general non-code text, but I've started using VS Code more often for viewing and editing code-related files.

Oh, and it just occurred to me that Microsoft bought GitHub a while back, so I guess it would make sense that they'd kill Atom in favor of VS Code.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 11:25 AM »
For me, it's Notepad++ for projects and Notepad3 for one-off views.
I've always loved trying out text editors.  I liked PSpad and ProgrammersNotepad2. 
I have a copy of Visual Studio 2019, so I don't much need VSCode, although I have both installed.  The only time I use Visual Studio is if I have to compile anything.  If it's just scripts (powershell, or editing html) I use Notepad++.

I've never used Atom.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 07:40 PM »
Oh, and it just occurred to me that Microsoft bought GitHub a while back, so I guess it would make sense that they'd kill Atom in favor of VS Code.

In this case, I don't think it's in favor of. Atom stopped getting updates before that deal IIRC.

I use N++ for ad hoc editing, VS Code for projects that I don't want to open VS2019 for, and for non-project stuff, like writing, note taking, and web sites and such, and VS2019 for project related stuff that compiles.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 10:39 PM »

In this case, I don't think it's in favor of. Atom stopped getting updates before that deal IIRC.

Right. I think I meant it more like instead of reviving/continuing development of Atom, they killed it off in favor of further developing/supporting VS Code, which AFAIK had already made Atom redundant long ago.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 01:40 AM »
In my search for an AsciiDoc editor at the time, Atom was one of the candidates. I really didn't like it from the get-go. Was the 'Brackets' text editor not based on Atom? That one had a better interface for editing AsciiDoc, but I got tired of that one after a few hours of editing.

But I use mainly Notepad++ for most of my text editing, a far distant second editor for me is VSCode, quickly followed by AsciiDocFX. Lately I'm far more busy with databases and use the text editor that comes with the management software for Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL and Apache Cassandra. And as I am using Linux more and more at home: Notepadqq, which looks and feels a lot like Notepad++ on Windows and MCEdit (part of Midnight Commander, an essential tool for any version of Linux).

There was a while where I used Sublime text editor. Very capable, but Notepad++ is just a tad faster and you can create your own syntax highlighter with it. Something I used for a scripting language that we created for the European energy market.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 11:04 AM »
Finally, everyone can wholeheartedly migrate to Acme.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 05:50 PM »
If you want VSCode without proprietary Microsoft stuff + telemetry, you can get VSCodium:

https://github.com/VSCodium/vscodium

This is not a fork. This is a repository of scripts to automatically build Microsoft's vscode repository into freely-licensed binaries with a community-driven default configuration.

Here's a short overview by GameFromScratch:

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 09:30 PM »
Someone had to fork Atom…
https://pulsar-edit.dev/

Required for building:
C++, Python and Node.js.