topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Request: random file picker for ffmpeg with GUI  (Read 3306 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Request: random file picker for ffmpeg with GUI
« on: January 17, 2022, 11:54 AM »
It's been a while since I've made a request! (ever since my inglourious award)....

Anyhoo, here is the request.  It is intended very specifically for WINDOWS OS.  I am requesting some ffmpeg automation with GUI.  It needs to be able to run as a service, meaning restarted if accidentally stopped or errored. etc.  Here are the specs:

specify a root folder, then pick a random video file from that folder, and it must search through the subfolders also.  No consistent folder structure.  So, essentially, it needs to make a random playlist from a folder with a chaotic bunch of video files in it.  Video files can be of any format.

Once picked, then run an ffmpeg CLI command (which I have already figured out and can post).

Run as a service.  Although, I guess this is not essential since I can use other software to turn it into a service.

That's it!

ON the GUI side, well I guess the GUI isn't needed, but might help.  I was hoping for a place to select the folder.  And maybe another part just letting you know the file that is playing or that the service is Live or not.  Maybe just a top line showing the selected folder, and then a window showing the output from ffmpeg, that would be nice too.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Request: random file picker for ffmpeg with GUI
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 03:32 PM »
I made a wireframe sketch based on skwire's Trout, which is nearly perfect for this.

Snag_414ed77.png
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 05:43 PM by superboyac »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 06:00 PM »
OK I'm attempting to do this on my own using AHK.  First time, wish me luck.  I've made progress:

Snag_94d1753.png

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 11:19 PM »
First time, wish me luck.

Enjoy the thrill super-amigo! :)

[Warning: replicating the thrill of your first app may require more and more complicated stuff as time goes by. Secondary symptoms may include frustration, coding-induced dizziness, perfectionism episodes, cursing, lack of sleep and a sense of satisfaction that can be hard to replicate with other activities except -perhaps- for doing magic mushrooms :D]

P.S. If any of the symptoms persist for more than a week, seek help in coding forums (literally, do feel free to address me personally with your request if needed. Cheers!  :) :Thmbsup: 🤗)
My name's Victor but do feel free to call me Vic!

Support with your DonationCredits!
❤️ Support on Patreon @ www.patreon.com/publicdomain
🎁 One-time Paypal @ www.paypal.com/paypalme/victorvls
Email/Paypal: publicdomainvicgmail.com
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 11:26 PM by publicdomain »