topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2022: DateAdder  (Read 4181 times)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2022: DateAdder
« on: December 17, 2021, 05:08 PM »
NANY 2022 Entry Information

Application Name dateadder
Short Description Fulfills the single need of having a platform-independent tool that lets the user add days, weeks or even months to today's (or any other) date and see the resulting date.
Supported OSes In theory, any that run Go (as of today, these are: DragonFly BSD, FreeBSD, Linux, macOS, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Plan 9, Solaris, and Windows).
Download Link Attached.
Version History
  • 2021.12: First public announcement on DonationCoder.
Author me.

Description
I wanted to find out which day is "today in two weeks" without having to click through a monthly calendar. Now I can.

Non-features
  • Does not support units smaller than a day.
  • Also does not support substracting days, weeks or even months.

Planned Features
None.

Screenshots
WindowsTerminal_2021-12-18_00-05-51.pngNANY 2022: DateAdder

Usage

Installation

Grab the .exe file from the attachment and put it wherever you want. Send me a personal message for non-Windows builds and/or if you need the source code.

Using the Application
You'll need a terminal window. (On Windows, the Windows Terminal is pretty nice.) Then just run any calculation of your choice:

% ./dateadder "today in a week"
% ./dateadder "2021/12/31 plus four days"

Et cetera, et cetera.

Uninstallation
Delete the .exe file.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 05:36 PM by Tuxman »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2022: DateAdder
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 03:31 AM »
Great to see you participating in NANY 2022, Tux!

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 07:36 AM »
To be honest, I almost forgot.  ;D

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 03:33 PM »
Is a desktop app or web app.

I don't see how execute the program
 :-\ :-*
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 04:14 PM by Deozaan, Reason: fix formatting »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 03:58 PM »
Explained above. With a screenshot.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 05:39 PM »
As a long-time member of DonationCoder has declared that publishing the source code of an application effectively ends my copyright on that application, I removed all references to the source code from this NANY entry. Future contributions will be closed source as well. I am not interested in having my copyright violated just because I published my software in good faith.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 08:58 PM »
As a long-time member of DonationCoder has declared that publishing the source code of an application effectively ends my copyright on that application, I removed all references to the source code from this NANY entry. Future contributions will be closed source as well. I am not interested in having my copyright violated just because I published my software in good faith.

Wow... that's an escalation, and of course your option. It was a conversation in good faith, and you take it to this extreme to try to prove a point? Quite mature conversational skills indeed.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 09:09 PM »
Denying someone's right to define what other people are allowed to do with his software by explicitly stating a license and claiming that a developer does not own an application anymore when he decides to publish the source code - which literally contains the word "copyright" - is not a "conversation in good faith". Note that you are not the culprit here.

I will not discuss this in more than one thread. No more source code for you, folks. If you don't want to respect the license, you won't get a chance to disrespect it anymore.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 10:58 PM »
Denying someone's right to define what other people are allowed to do with his software by explicitly stating a license and claiming that a developer does not own an application anymore when he decides to publish the source code - which literally contains the word "copyright" - is not a "conversation in good faith". Note that you are not the culprit here.

I will not discuss this in more than one thread. No more source code for you, folks. If you don't want to respect the license, you won't get a chance to disrespect it anymore.

Has anyone disrespected your license? Or even said you don't have a license? He just said the TOS on the service said he gives up certain aspects of the hosting of said software. But you do you.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 11:06 PM »
Hi Tuxman,

That is not what I said, nor is it what I meant, and I think you are intelligent enough to understand the difference between what I actually said and what you are claiming I said. It saddens me to see you mischaracterize me in such a way.

Be well.