topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Vivaldi - add buttons to panel?  (Read 4717 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Vivaldi - add buttons to panel?
« on: November 04, 2021, 10:59 AM »
Just starting with Vivaldi again after a couple of years ignoring it.   ;D

It does not seem to want to let me add an Extensions Button to the default panel to make it like Opera.  Is there a trick to it?

So far video streaming seems to look and act well.  I don't know why browsers start and stop buffering/freezing when the version gets updated.  I have to keep switching browsers to watch video.  The main reason I have so many browsers on this Celeron Nightmare from Hell.  (Just an aside.)    8)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Vivaldi - add buttons to panel?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 11:40 AM »
I did not figure out how to add buttons to the panel but it does seem to install and run fine off a 128 GB micro sdcard.  Even streaming video.  Many new installs run snappy at first.  Time will tell.  I like it much better than the last time I tried it though.   :Thmbsup:

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 08:22 AM »
Someone listening to you MilesAhead?

Hope this post on the 19th of Nov. may be of help:
https://vivaldi.com/...ose-vivaldi/#new_tab
With related link:
https://help.vivaldi...p/panels/web-panels/

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 09:57 AM »
Btw, added Twitter and its button/icon came through in a few seconds.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 02:01 PM »
Btw, added Twitter and its button/icon came through in a few seconds.

Thanks.  I will check it out.   :Thmbsup:

Edit:  I got it.   8)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 02:11 PM by MilesAhead »

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 04:22 PM »
@MilesAhead - glad you got it!  :Thmbsup:

Although i still have a penchant for Firefox, Vivaldi is always nearby.
Brave is good too.
If video issues popup, usually one of these three will resolve the problem.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 04:33 PM »
@MilesAhead - glad you got it!  :Thmbsup:

Although i still have a penchant for Firefox, Vivaldi is always nearby.
Brave is good too.
If video issues popup, usually one of these three will resolve the problem.

Speaking of Firefox, I just wasted 90 minutes because they remotely disabled my speed dial.  I swear browsers waste more time just making decisions for you than anything other than Windows.  It drives me nuts.  If only there was a standardized dial so we could select all in one browser and paste into another it would be so cool.  But it has the advantage of keeping me from doing something productive I suppose.   8)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 08:23 PM »
Firefox is a waste of space by now. Sad to see it detoriating for a decade.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 01:07 PM »
Firefox is a waste of space by now. Sad to see it detoriating for a decade.

I know.  It used to be cool.  The main reason I keep it on my system is because the browser that will stream video without stuttering on this cheesy Laptop seems to shift with every update.  I suppose I should get a W11 Laptop soon but there are so many options that vary so much I am not sure which way to go.  It seems to be way more treacherous than choosing a desktop.  Since I am unlikely to have free internet if I do land a subsidized apartment, a Lappy seems to be the only option.  With prices for everything going up I suspect the grocery bill will consume most of the remainder of my income, so paying for broadband will likely be out of the question.

My feeling at the moment is the Laptop should be Ryzen powered.  But I haven't done much reading on them.  Afa the trend in browsers they must have a developer requirement that only control freaks need apply.  I liked things better in the 90's when you could assume that most everything online other than your ISP was free.  Not only that but you could request features from extention authors.  Boy does that seem like a million years ago!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 01:28 PM »
^ I've started using Edge for video on an older laptop. Was using a lot less resources than others I tried (Firefox, Vivaldi, I can't remember what else)
Tom

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 03:32 PM »
Speaking of Firefox, I just wasted 90 minutes because they remotely disabled my speed dial.  I swear browsers waste more time just making decisions for you than anything other than Windows.  It drives me nuts.  If only there was a standardized dial so we could select all in one browser and paste into another it would be so cool.  But it has the advantage of keeping me from doing something productive I suppose.   8)

dunno if you saw this or not, or if it relates to the speed dial xtn you use, but I ran across this 'explanation' this morning ...

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/11/24/mozilla-bans-the-fvd-speed-dial-extension-from-firefox/

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2021, 02:15 PM »
After re-installing Vivaldi many a times, can attest that it's sync feature is excellent at remembering passwords (not so with Firefox) and re-instating extensions and more.

Also, with regards to computers, recall purchasing refurbished desktops (nowhere enormous as they used to be) with Win 7 and after about 7 years now, still working full speed. So much faster than Win 10! But buying any electronic stuff today is hard decision. Much like buying a new car. Even if you have the money, you're overwhelmed with so many options!!

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 12:57 PM »
@MilesAhead - just dawned on me.

If you open your Twitter page and another site to the right, you can tile vertically.
Thus have a larger view of what's going on Twitter as you surf to the right.

Just a thought.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2021, 12:36 PM »
^ I've started using Edge for video on an older laptop. Was using a lot less resources than others I tried (Firefox, Vivaldi, I can't remember what else)

Edge does seem to be quick.  I hate how stuff keeps changing.  I liked the chrome based Opera at the beginning because I could use most chrome extensions but it did not launch 20 instances when you were only running a couple of tabs like chrome did.  Now Opera seems to have abandoned any attempt to optimize resource usage.  I also notice Edge seems to be updated a couple of times a week.  I hope the programmers aren't doing lines to keep up with that schedule.   8)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 12:36 PM »
@MilesAhead - just dawned on me.

If you open your Twitter page and another site to the right, you can tile vertically.
Thus have a larger view of what's going on Twitter as you surf to the right.

Just a thought.

Cool.  Thanks.   :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 12:44 PM »
After re-installing Vivaldi many a times, can attest that it's sync feature is excellent at remembering passwords (not so with Firefox) and re-instating extensions and more.

I will have to check that out.  Nothing is more annoying than browser sync that does not provide an overwrite option.  You know, the merges just create a bunch of dupes.  Not my idea of convenience.

Also, with regards to computers, recall purchasing refurbished desktops (nowhere enormous as they used to be) with Win 7 and after about 7 years now, still working full speed. So much faster than Win 10! But buying any electronic stuff today is hard decision. Much like buying a new car. Even if you have the money, you're overwhelmed with so many options!!

I know.  We should try to pressure the manufacturers into providing a standard set of features at a minimum.  Stuff like backlit keyboards when applicable.  It is kind of lame to base your laptop choice on the fact that you occasionally need to type in the dark.   :)