topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WildGem 2.10 Christmas 2022 release (updated from 2021's v1.5)  (Read 9027 times)

Twinbee

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Download and home page here: https://www.skytopia...om/software/wildgem/

Please see my latest post in this thread for v2.10 info!

OLDER INFO BELOW:

Wildgem version 1.50 is a big update since the last version (1.32). For more information, see the previous thread on the topic here.

Wildgem is a free (beer), portable, and ultra sugary wrapper for Regex. It takes all the juicy bits from Regex, but makes writing expressions much simpler by providing unique and memorable symbols to replace the sometimes arcane and easily forgotten syntax from pure Regex. The program is great for people who don't want to get into Regex, but who find the usual find/replace feature in many text editors or programming languages too limiting. Nevertheless, Regex experts will still appreciate the colour coding, lightning speed, large input/output areas, realtime updating as you type, and the ability to still write pure regex.

It has been featured over at Ghacks, Trishtech and also on Donation Coder's very own Coding Snacks section.

Simple usage:

Wildgem1.pngWildGem 2.10 Christmas 2022 release (updated from 2021's v1.5)

Advanced usage:

Wildgem2.pngWildGem 2.10 Christmas 2022 release (updated from 2021's v1.5)

In this v1.50 update are some big new features:

- First a MAJOR bug fix which prevented many people from using it. I falsely assumed that everyone had the Arial Unicode MS font when in reality, this font is only distributed with Excel 2013 (and earlier?). As a result, the special Wildgem symbols wouldn't appear. In v1.50, alternative fonts are used as a fall back.

- Second new feature is the new "Optional" symbol which emulates the useful '?' from Regex. This was a much needed addition to Wildgem and now more or less completes the basic Regex feature set.

- Third new feature is the Load and Save project functions so you can easily continue from your earlier expressions that you built and edit them.

- Finally, the best new feature is the "Multiple line functions" which allows you to express multiple regex/Wildgem commands in one sweep. This is much nicer than trying to cram a bunch of Regex into a single line/command.

As always, .NET 4.0 framework is needed. This should come with Windows 10 by default however and is otherwise a simple download for earlier versions of Windows.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 04:06 PM by Twinbee »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WildGem 1.50
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 07:01 AM »
Regex being extremely handy, but one of those things I've just never managed to get my head around; this thing has saved my ass more times than I can count.

Thank you for the update!

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 02:20 AM »
Bookmark it for later install. Thank you.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 11:35 AM »
Looks like v1.61 is now available - Damn! ...I love this thing - Just saved my ass again!

Twinbee

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 02:46 PM »
Haha, I've found it a lifesaver on occasion too! The "Multiple line functions" option to operate on text multiple times simultaneously is super handy.

I doubt I'll be updating it much anymore however. All known bugs have bitten the dust and there's not a great deal of ideas left to add (other than batch text files I guess).

Twinbee

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 01:09 PM »
WildGem 2.00 out now! Still free of charge as this is more a labour of love than a money spinner:

wg2.pngWildGem 2.10 Christmas 2022 release (updated from 2021's v1.5)

https://www.skytopia...com/software/wildgem

Ton of new features and fixes, but the biggest change is the extensive pool of examples which can selected via the a click from the dropdown menu. They not only teach you how to use the program effectively (with mini documentation for each example), but can be experimented with to your heart's content.

wg2b.pngWildGem 2.10 Christmas 2022 release (updated from 2021's v1.5)

You can also now adjust the font sizes for all panels, and multiple undo/redo is supported throughout. For multi-stage queries, you can now see the matches at each individual stage to see how it affects the final outcome. A full list of features can be found on the home page.

Any suggestions or bugs, let me know!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 01:21 PM by Twinbee »

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: WildGem 2.00 Christmas 2022 release (updated from 2021's v1.5)
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 06:12 PM »
WildGem 2.00 out now! Still free of charge as this is more a labour of love than a money spinner:

Ton of new features and fixes, but the biggest change is the extensive pool of examples which can selected via the a click from the dropdown menu. They not only teach you how to use the program effectively (with mini documentation for each example), but can be experimented with to your heart's content.

You can also now adjust the font sizes for all panels, and multiple undo/redo is supported throughout. For multi-stage queries, you can now see the matches at each individual stage to see how it affects the final outcome. A full list of features can be found on the home page.

Any suggestions or bugs, let me know!

Looking great! :Thmbsup: I did notice a minor text bug of both the Regex/Find -/+ button tooltips being wrong for what they do.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 06:46 PM by hamradio »

Twinbee

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WildGem 2.00 Christmas 2022 release (updated from 2021's v1.5)
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 08:05 PM »
Yes, there are some other minor documentation issues too. Spent so long on the docs for the examples, I forgot about some of the obvious ones :o . Will fix tomo.

Twinbee

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WildGem 2.10 Christmas 2022 release (updated from 2021's v1.5)
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 04:05 PM »
Okay just released v2.10 which resolves the documentation issues and also fixes loading and saving of projects which broke in v2.00!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 08:54 PM »
Thanks for all the effort, Twinbee! It has twice the buzz  8)

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2022, 09:18 AM »
Amazing software

Twinbee

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 04:55 PM »
Cheers both. I'm particularly happy with the recent ability to break up Regex/Wildgem expressions into pieces, and operate on the text one step at a time (via the "Multiple line functions" checkbox). Example: removing whitespace with the first, and finding/replacing a word with the second. Older Wildgem versions had a limited version of that, but this newest is complete and allows you to view highlighted matches for each 'stage'.

Really helps to keep the Regex syntax small and simple to understand! I wonder if other Regex programs allow that. Certainly not from the online versions I've seen.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 05:09 PM by Twinbee »