topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Who here makes ice cream?  (Read 5276 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Who here makes ice cream?
« on: August 04, 2021, 04:09 PM »
I've been on an ice cream making kick lately.  Anyone else enjoy making it?

Favorite flavors: Coffee, Mint, Strawberry.

I started with the "Perfect Scoop" book: https://www.amazon.c...ments/dp/039958031X/
But it's a little too custardy (egg yolk) heavy for me; I prefer my ice cream a little more airy.
Ben and Jerry's older book has a recipe that uses 2 whole eggs, whipped (not cooked), that I have really been enjoying: https://www.amazon.c...-Book/dp/0894803123/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 11:32 AM by mouser »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Who here makes ice cream?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 09:21 AM »
I never tried it myself.  I naively assumed one put in some amount of ice, cream and flavoring, then mixed it and froze it.  I never imagined adding eggs and whatnot.  If I saw someone churn butter it would likely also be more complicated than people assume.  Probably because of TV we are not aware how much goes into "simple" tasks.

Another thing I was curious about but never had the space to try myself was film development with the darkroom and the whole bit.

As far as consistency goes I always hated the Breyers ice cream.  It always seemed to have ice crystals mixed into it.  Not creamy at all.  Also any vanilla that did not look a bit yellow always seemed a bit unnatural to me.  Like the flavoring was out of a test tube.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 11:31 AM »
I've done snow cream before (snow, vanilla, sweet cream) but never started from scratch.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 11:33 AM »
Here's the kind of machine you can use to make ice cream these days:
https://www.amazon.c...rt-Ice/dp/B003KYSLMW

You freeze the bowl overnight first.

$70 new, you could probably find them for $30 on craigslist.  They make excellent ice cream.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:48 AM by mouser »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 01:22 PM »
I generally dislike cooking and have never really been interested in cooking shows, but I discovered Glen and Friends Cooking YouTube channel a while ago and have watched many of his videos since. He does all kinds of strange and interesting things. He also does "normal" things, too, I guess. But anyway, he has done a couple ice cream recipes lately:

(Savory) Mac and Cheese Ice Cream:

Toblerone Ice Cream (Churn-free)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 03:40 PM »
I've done snow cream before (snow, vanilla, sweet cream) but never started from scratch.

Cue Frank Zappa: WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 08:45 AM »

Cue Frank Zappa: WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW!

Don't worry.  It can't happen here.   8)

AzureToad

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 10:19 AM »
YEARS ago, when our kids were younger, my brother-in-law and his family had a holiday party with friends and family.

We made "coffee-can" ice cream. I don't remember all the ingredients, I believe we used cream, vanilla, eggs, and probably something else. I know we had 3 smaller coffee cans (maybe medium-sized?) and 3 large coffee cans. The ingredients went into the smaller can with strawberries in one can and some chocolate syrup to another. These were sealed and placed inside the larger can. This was then surrounded by crushed ice and rock salt and was also sealed.

His house was on an incline and we split the families up into 3 teams. Each team would take their cans to the top of the incline where a "launcher" would roll the can to the "catcher" at the bottom of the slope. The catcher would carry the coffee can back to the top, the launcher would race down to become the new catcher, the next team member would be the new launcher. This went on for.. I don't remember how long, but it was great fun and at the end, we opened the can's to enjoy the cold, delicious frozen treat!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 08:42 PM »
Me.

I had no choice. I can’t find Earl Grey or Brandy Pear sherbert, or Cranberry-Apple sorbet in stores.  :Thmbsup:

We’re using the Cuisinart Pure Indulgence ice cream maker. It uses a freezer bowl so it doesn’t require ice or salt. The coolant is permanently sealed within the walls of the bowl. Just put the bowl in your freezer for several hours and you’re ready to roll. The results are quite good. Especially for a $99 machine. You’d need to spend several hundred dollars to get a semi commercial compressor type ice cream maker if you wanted something better.