topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Amazon Lumberyard goes open source, renamed to Open 3D Engine (O3DE)  (Read 2301 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
On July 6th, 2021, the Linux Foundation announced the public availability of the Open 3D Engine (O3DE) open-source project and the formation of the Open 3D Foundation.

As a founding partner in O3DE, Amazon Web Services and the AWS Lumberyard team has been working on this effort for awhile, preparing the code and tools for a developer-centric initial release.

atom_showcase.png

Amazon is contributing its Lumberyard game engine to open source, and it will be known as the Open 3D Engine.

The Linux Foundation will oversee the project and form the Open 3D Foundation to accelerate collaboration with game developers to enhance the triple-A game engine.

So what’s changed? Is this Lumberyard with an open-source license?

In short, a lot! Yes, it’s open source, under the permissive Apache 2.0 license. And no, O3DE is very different than the artist formerly known as Lumberyard. We leaned heavily on our Lumberyard experiences, iterated, and improved O3DE for eventual collaboration and creative control. We kept the parts that customers loved most about Lumberyard and significantly revamped the rest. We aimed to build an engine that could stand the test of time in an open source world. Because game engines tend to be monolithic, we leaned heavily toward becoming modular with extensibility, embracing open standards tooling from the onset. However, we remained unsatisfied, so we added a new prefab system, a new build system, an extensible UI, many new cloud capabilities, numerous math library optimizations, new networking capabilities, and far too many performance improvements to mention here. Also, for good measure, we even added a whole new PBR renderer capable of forward+ and deferred rendering with ray tracing and GI support!

from o3de.org

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
It looks beautiful.  These 3d engines always seem like such massive projects, I never know how to judge them.
It's especially weird because when I look at an engine I'm not as much interested in it's capabilities as much as I am in its longevity and support, as I don't want to use something that isn't strongly maintained and developed.

I've just started to play with Unity myself as I've gotten very curious about developing for Oculus/VR platforms.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've just started to play with Unity myself

Must be something going around- I've just delved in myself.