topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Redbox only captures only works on second monitor  (Read 15407 times)

Booma-Booma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Redbox only captures only works on second monitor
« on: September 06, 2006, 07:22 PM »
Hi all,
I have been testing out Screenshot Captor for about 2 hours now and at first I couldn't get the option to grab a screenshot of windows objects to work. I am running dual monitors a flat panel lcd as my primary and a crt as secondary. I normally keep the secondary one off unless I require it. In the course of testing I couldn't for the life of me get the Redboxes to outline any of my windows objects that I wanted to take a screenshot of.

I am using an nvidia geforce 6600 gt that has dual monitor outputs.

Any ideas why the redbox outlines would be limited to only one of my monitors - not even the primary monitor?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Redbox only captures only works on second monitor
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 07:34 PM »
i too am a dual monitor addict, and screenshot captor has been extensively tested on dual monitor systems.. i'm trying to think why this would be happening.  i'd be very interested if you could figure out any other clues.  maybe exit screenshot captore completely and try starting it again with both monitors on, etc.  see if you can find out any hints that couldshed some light on the issue.

Booma-Booma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 07:40 AM »
I spent a couple of hours trying to figure things out. If I have a copy of notepad open in both monitors and I choose to grab a screenshot of windows objects. No redboxes appear in the primary display. They appear in the secondary display and will function as I expect and grab screen shots of the various objects that are encircled by the redboxes.

I noticed that if I hover over the desktop of the secondary monitory, the desktop is encircled by the redbox (very cool idea) but one edge is missing. The edge that is missing is the one that spans across to my primary monitor. There is no continuation of the redbox onto my primary monitor. I suspect that it would take a screen shot of the entire, spanned desktop even though there was no redbox on the primary display. I took the screen capture and that confirmed my suspicion - it did take a shot of the entire spanned desktop.

I am running windows xp sp2, on the nvidia geforce 6600 gt that has dual monitor outputs. The thing that I did notice is that I can not get my lcd monitor to show up (in either windows settings or the nvidia control panel) as display number 1. It always shows up as display 2.

On my desktop I have this setup:

CRT - LCD

With the lcd as the primary.

Do you have anything that you would like me to try?

I am very convinced that this will be the screen capture software that I will be using from now on - if I can get this working. I am even willing to become a member of donationcoder. If this works well I will probably suggest that this program be used as a standard at my company.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 09:24 AM »
Just a random thought but how is your screeen layout setup, i.e. is the secondary screen in the default position right of the primary screen. If not maybe this is an issue?

Booma-Booma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 10:15 AM »
Just a random thought but how is your screeen layout setup, i.e. is the secondary screen in the default position right of the primary screen. If not maybe this is an issue?

The secondary is on the left of the primary as I don't have room on the right side. This could be an issue, but most other things seem to work correctly.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 01:07 PM »
i was thinking that what you were saying about normally leaving one of the monitors turned off could be the clue, like if you start screenshots captor in the tray when one of the monitors is turned off, it might not realize the situation has changed when you turn the monitor on later.

Booma-Booma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 01:19 PM »
i was thinking that what you were saying about normally leaving one of the monitors turned off could be the clue, like if you start screenshots captor in the tray when one of the monitors is turned off, it might not realize the situation has changed when you turn the monitor on later.

If that were the case then wouldn't a reboot solve that issue? I had rebooted the system a number of times in the course of trouble shooting this issue (installing updated drivers).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 01:32 PM »
yep it sure would - so would simply exiting screenshot captor completely and restarting it.

I've got a few more things i have to add to screenshot captor this month; after i'm done i'll come back to this and that will also give us a little time to find out if others may be suffering from the same problem.

question: if you capture a complete multimonitor workspace screenshot (ctrl+prtscr), from screenshot captor, does it work and grab both monitors?

Booma-Booma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 03:19 PM »
question: if you capture a complete multimonitor workspace screenshot (ctrl+prtscr), from screenshot captor, does it work and grab both monitors?

Yes, it does. Even in grabbing an object and selecting the desktop.

Is there any diagnostics that I can run in the mean time?

Booma-Booma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 03:42 PM »
I don't know why I didn't just try it out. You are right. Since my secondary monitor is on the left of my primary monitor I switched them around and lo and behold the redboxes stated to show up correctly on both monitors.

It seems to have something to do with the order of the monitors. In my case, the secondary monitor is called "display 1" and the primary is called "display 2". I can't seem to get my lcd panel to be detected as "display 1".

Does this help?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 03:53 PM »
it does help, i just have to think about why this might be happening - i personally have a dual monitor setup with secondary on left and it works fine.. may have something to do with the graphics driver.  maybe check to see if there is an update for your graphics driver?

Booma-Booma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 07:59 AM »
maybe check to see if there is an update for your graphics driver?

I updated the graphics driver before I had posted  :) My system seems to be working better now as some dialog boxes would show up on the secondary monitor. Now they show up on the same monitor as the application itself.

Would screen shots help? If so how do I get them to you?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 12:57 PM »
ive updated forum permissions so you should be able to attach images to the forum posts now; you could also send to [email protected]

Booma-Booma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 07:51 AM »
Here are some screen shots.

Display 1 and Display 2 are screen shots of my monitor properties (not sure if they are of any use). Full desktop is a shot illustrating how the redbox outlines the desktop of my secondary monitor but not of my primary.

Booma-Booma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Just an FYI, on this machine, the "grab selected region" doesn't work at all. I thought this might be a related issue. It doesn't work in either monitor.

Booma-Booma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 08:15 AM »
Upgraded to v2.25.03 still no go...