topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: GETTING ORGANIZED EXPERIMENT - WEEK TWO+THREE ASSIGNMENT  (Read 81533 times)

Lilly

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A latecomer to the experiment, but not to GTD
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2006, 10:05 AM »
Hello all,

I just discovered this site. It was mentioned one of the mailing lists I am on.

I have been "trying" to use the GTD system for over a year now. I can never seem to make it fly, however. I am overwhelmed with my index cards full of ideas (the initial braindump), and I always seem to have something more urgent to do than to process cards. I just uninstalled the GTD Outlook plug-in because it was just not working for me. I'm going to give Clear Context a whirl, and see how that goes. I also just downloaded the "Instant Boss", so we'll see how that goes.

There are a lot of elements that I don't like with GTD (tickler file, the waiting on, etc.), but I always figured that I would come back to doing them. I think, after fighting with things for the last year, I realize that if it's not immediately in my face, I won't do it. Having an incredibly limited attention span will do that.

So what I've implemented so far is the Zero-Inbox (although there are still things in the @reply folder that I haven't touched), and the Hipster PDA.

I'm really looking forward to this experiment. I had already done the Week 1 assignment, and although the Week 2 was supposed to be completed by yesterday, I'm going to try to do that right now (since I have a year and a half to draw from), and go from there.

Thanks so much for this experiment. Just reading all the posts this morning has gotten me motivated, and I'm looking forward to more of it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: GETTING ORGANIZED EXPERIMENT - WEEK TWO ASSIGNMENT (SEP 5, 2006)
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2006, 10:10 AM »
welcome Lilly!
I also have no use for the tickler stuff.

I've been using an index card approach lately and i like it.  based on gtd.

what i've been doing is i have sections for "TOMORROW, WEEK, MONTH, LONGTERM" so that each day i go grab the stuff i PLAN to do the current day and bring those cards up front.  then i put stuff for tomorrow in the TOMORROW section, and file others into week, month, etc. 

Lilly

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2006, 11:18 AM »
welcome Lilly!
I also have no use for the tickler stuff.

I've been using an index card approach lately and i like it.  based on gtd.

what i've been doing is i have sections for "TOMORROW, WEEK, MONTH, LONGTERM" so that each day i go grab the stuff i PLAN to do the current day and bring those cards up front.  then i put stuff for tomorrow in the TOMORROW section, and file others into week, month, etc. 

I am going to try that and see how it goes.

I also have to say that whoever recommended "Instant Boss" is a godsend! I had no idea that my ability to gauge time (2 minutes break and 10 minutes) is so off! It's amazing! I'm giving it a try today, and already I'm really stunned at how off my internal clock is. No wonder I keep wasting so much time faffing around! Yeesh!

This software is definitely a keeper.

And, lastly, thank you for the welcome! I'm very excited to be here.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2006, 11:36 AM »
Lilly, InstantBoss was actually written by one of the coders on our site (April), based on an idea from one of the members of this forum, so it's great to hear you like it.  :up:

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2006, 11:39 AM »
Lilly, I am glad you like it and find it useful.

If you have any suggestions on how I can make it even more useful, I'd be glad to hear them.  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GETTING ORGANIZED EXPERIMENT - WEEK TWO+THREE ASSIGNMENT
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2006, 01:08 PM »
NOTE: we have decided to focus on GTD for one more week, to coincide with the 2 part interview with david allen
(http://podcast.donationcoder.com).

On Sep 23 we will explore Mark Forster's methods.

hugosanchez

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2006, 12:17 PM »
Lilly, I am glad you like it and find it useful.

If you have any suggestions on how I can make it even more useful, I'd be glad to hear them.  :)

Hi, April
I just look your site and I have a question for you:
The tools there seems very practical and useful. Are you thinking in expanding it to linux platforms?
Thanks

Hugo

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2006, 02:27 PM »
Hi, April
I just look your site and I have a question for you:
The tools there seems very practical and useful. Are you thinking in expanding it to linux platforms?
Thanks

Hugo

Not exactly...at least not at this time...or not intentionally.

I think I should become a linux user first, before programming for linux...otherwise how would I know if it worked?

I don't think I am ready for linux yet...I still feel like I haven't settled into XP. It still has that 'new OS smell'.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2006, 01:36 AM »
I'm struggling a bit with practicalities of indexing/filing/structure.
I want to post about that but have to try & get an overview of it all first!  :D

I have a query re todolist (Abstract Spoon one) in the ToDo mini-review
I would also be very curious how other people are using this programme:
so far I just have the following TaskLists:

Action/To do list
Ideas list
GOE list
Texts List

but I'm unsure would i be better having all in one list - so  I can prioritize stuff*. At the moment if something from the Texts Lists needs to be done soon I add it to the Action list.
This isn't very efficient - I know/believe you can make links between tasks - is that a recommended route ?

I'm using paper for my daily-will-do list but like the coherency of this programme & am looking at combining both.

*Interesting possibility would be if one could see a list showing all tasks over a certain priority from all lists.
I think you can use reminders as well but at the moment I'm happy/prefer listing stuff by Priority and working my way through things.

So my query at this stage is really how people are using the programme, especially in regards to GOE
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2006, 03:26 PM »
Nice blog talking about GTD stuff:
http://www.punkey.com/gtd/index.php

This weblog deals with everything GTD and the five phases of projectplanning as written by Dave Allen in his book "Getting Things Done" I will try to record and publish my thoughts and experiences with this system to really "Get Things Done" in my personal and professional life.