topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Yet another image viewer  (Read 2505 times)

SleepingWolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Yet another image viewer
« on: February 04, 2021, 05:03 PM »
  Hi, what I'm looking for is an extremely simple idea. Not sure about the coding (or even if it is necessary).

I'd like to view a small .png (or.jpg/ .gif/ .bmp) file in a GUI free window (Ie. with no titlebar/ toolbars etc, just a clean 'canvas') via a command line... here's an example call.

c:/programs/picview.exe c:/piccies/picfile.png -200 -400

This will show a scaled version of the file (whatever the original size) in a 200 * 400 window/ canvas. The order of those parameters do not matter to me. Some files will look stupid at that size: the user will have to find the numbers that 'work'.

The gui could be exited by pressing 'escape', or better yet, by pressing it twice.
A left/right mouse click on the picture could be configured to do something useful: to trigger a program such as mspaint to open the picfile. A .ini file could be used for specifying these options.

It would preferably be portable and stealthy (I.e. Zip file download and all settings in the application directory).
I feel sure something like this must already exist, it's just that searching for such a thing is hard. Just about every image viewer has a gui?

Even the presence of a GUI is not a dealbreaker, I just don't want tons of distracting features...

Does anyone know of such a program?

--------------------------------------------------
To be honest, I have almost solved this. Just now, I checked on https://cli.portable...m/index.php?q=viewer and found http://www.schaik.com/png/visualpng.html.

Pros:
  • It does resize (stretch) very nicely, I hadn't thought to even ask!
  • It is portable

Cons:
  • Only works for .png files,
  • It does have a small gui,
  • It may not have command line options, (I haven't checked yet)

So it will suffice for now, (better than zooming out to a custom size in mspaint), but I still think the other features would be really cool...

Thanks in advance...
-------------------------------------------

Question everything, use a fact-checker.
Respect yourself and respect others.
Peace out!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Yet another image viewer
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 05:32 PM »
I'd like to view a small .png (or.jpg/ .gif/ .bmp) file in a GUI free window (Ie. with no titlebar/ toolbars etc, just a clean 'canvas') via a command line

Perhaps my Frameless program fits the bill?

https://www.dcmember.../download/frameless/

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Yet another image viewer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 10:15 PM »