topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Does the right software and hardware exist to use two wifi connections simultan?  (Read 5416 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello

Does the right software and hardware exist to use two wifi connections simultaneously?

My laptop will need to dynamically use the two wifi connections for each thread.

Thanks!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
1 WiFi networking device in your computer or laptop? 1 WiFi connection is possible, not 2 simultaneously.

However, if you mean that these 2 WiFi signals come from 2 different ISPs, then you better purchase a decent router device that can combine these two ISP signals into 1, the combined signal can then be used by the only WiFi network controller in your laptop. Or desktop.

In other words, if you have a need to bundle the signals from 2 (or more) ISPs you do not do this on your laptop or desktop, but in the routing device of your home/company network. The concept is called 'bundling' and requires you to read up on networking. You can do this with OPNSense, pfSense and other software-based firewallson a PC, which needs at least 3 network cards in it. One network card for one ISP, the second network card for the other ISP and one network card for your internal network.

If you go the PC route, you'll need network cards (Intel is the preferred brand here). That hardware isn't free, the OPNSense and pfSense software is, but you'll need time to set these up properly or pay someone to do that for you.

You can also get specific routers with this functionality already built-in. That is usually much more expensive, but easier to maintain.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks but isn't it possible with one of these usb wifi adapters? I was hoping to plug one of these in my laptop and then use a software to channel the multiple connections from Chrome, etc to both of the wifi connections!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My laptop will need to dynamically use the two wifi connections for each thread.
Can you please elaborate on that? I'm trying to understand what you want to achieve.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can you please elaborate on that? I'm trying to understand what you want to achieve.

I am curious also.  If accessing servers programmatically you may be able to use sockets linked to each thread rather than requiring separate hotspots etc..

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Link Agreggationw or Channel Bonding

Speedify

To download all the pr0n you need maximum bandwidth ;)

:P

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My internet is very slow where I am but I have two wifi connections, one in my flat and another one in my other flat below.

I want to combine those when I am working on my laptop.

Is there an easy way to do that?