topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dissenter Browser  (Read 3279 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dissenter Browser
« on: September 01, 2020, 06:29 PM »
I think I found the link in the longest post from Panzer . I don't remember.
After a great struggle downloading the main executable with my bad connection (just because reanudate produces beginning again from the very beginning....)

But looks good.

It seems a new generation of browser with a social network in gap.com That is another way of distraction. Or may be useful. I don't know.

https://dissenter.com/

The Dissenter web browser is built for The People, not advertisers. Block Big Tech ads and trackers by default. Discover a comment section on every URL online. Welcome to the free speech internet.

I have imported my bookmarks from Firefox with no problem.

I haven't discover yet the comment section. I use stickies for comments everywhere.

I got great difficulties with my internet connection to download the installable. Finally got with my second option after firefox , with microsoft Edge.
Now I have dissenter after : firefox, microsoft edge, chrome, opera and dissenter.

I hope to learn and take advantage of the variety....

:-* :P

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dissenter Browser
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 11:28 PM »
The Dissenter browser is not just a browser, but a political statement.  It links to Gab.com for the social media aspects.  I'd suggest that any talk of it be taken to the basement, as there's no way conversation could go about it that would not lean towards the political.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 11:35 PM »
I don't see how it's any more political than, say, Brave. It's just a privacy and free-speech focused browser. In fact, I believe the Dissenter browser is a fork of Brave with the dissenter extension (comments on every page) built in.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 01:06 AM »
In fact, I believe the Dissenter browser is a fork of Brave with the dissenter extension (comments on every page) built in.

Stated right on the downloads page ;)
Changelist
This is equivalent to Brave Browser 1.5.114, with some modifications:
Brave Ads, Brave Rewards, Brave Sync, Brave Wallet, Google GCM, Brave New Tab Sponsored Images, and many other things are DISABLED.
Dissenter Extension is embedded right in the URL bar.
The new tab page is something we can continue to build on!

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 01:38 AM »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 04:45 AM »
Guauuuu !!!!
it seems to me like the "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle". You install like a useful tool, but may be an important political weapon....

Ejem. I suppose is a question of bravery.

But the important point is find someone using intensivily this browser and why ...
 :-* :P

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 08:33 AM »
I don't see how it's any more political than, say, Brave. It's just a privacy and free-speech focused browser. In fact, I believe the Dissenter browser is a fork of Brave with the dissenter extension (comments on every page) built in.

You'd have to dig a little deeper.  It's the extension that becomes political.  But that's the reason that I didn't personally do anything to mod it.  You have to install it and look at the comments to see- I tried it before, and it's definitely political, IMO.  But it's trying to make that a little more obfuscated.

From that first link that Panzer posted above:

This Brave fork was whipped out in literally a few days in response to the recent wave of censorship from Twitter, Facebook, Mozilla etc. Its claim to fame is being integrated with the Dissenter extension (banned from Firefox's and Chrome's extension stores (archive)) which allows you to comment on any article from any website, bypassing their censorship policies.

Emphasis mine.  Why was it banned from those stores?  Following that thread will lead you to the politicized nature of this.  Agree or disagree with the reasoning behind the extension and browser, I don't think it's possible to argue honestly that it is not political.

There's also the problem of it phoning home to the gab network about every site that you visit, but the privacy concerns if you're using it are disingenous to me.  To do what it does, it would have to phone home.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 08:38 AM by wraith808 »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 11:05 AM »
I guess I don't see what's political about the inalienable right called free speech, or technology/software that enables it. Sure, you can use your speech in a political way, but speech itself is not inherently political. So far, your posts and my responses to them are the only ones mentioning politics. What's the term for when someone creates the very situation they were trying to avoid? :D

I agree that Gab and the Dissenter extension are controversial topics. But I think the folks on this forum can manage to talk about a web browser with a built-in comment section without making it political. At least I hope so. . .

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 11:25 AM »
I guess I don't see what's political about the inalienable right called free speech, or technology/software that enables it. Sure, you can use your speech in a political way, but speech itself is not inherently political. So far, your posts and my responses to them are the only ones mentioning politics. What's the term for when someone creates the very situation they were trying to avoid? :D

I agree that Gab and the Dissenter extension are controversial topics. But I think the folks on this forum can manage to talk about a web browser with a built-in comment section without making it political. At least I hope so. . .

This has little to do with free speech as it is used responsibly.  The conversations on there don't veer towards free speech any more than the platforms that they're trying to get around are 'censoring' them.  But as I said, my view of the platform at large I know that I'm biased by my experiences going into it not being aware of the nature of the platform.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 08:36 AM »
So...it's a browser that wants to let people talk without being censored?

If the above is correct, then their ToU is weird:

Gab may, in its sole discretion and at any time, refuse to offer the Service to any person or entity. This provision is void where prohibited by law and the right to access the Service is revoked in such jurisdictions.

[...]Gab may also impose limits on certain features and services or restrict your access to parts or all of the Service without notice or liability.

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you shall not (and shall not permit any third party to) take any action (including contributing any Content) that: would constitute a violation of any applicable law, rule or regulation; infringes any intellectual property or other right of any other person or entity; is threatening, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another’s privacy, or tortious; constitutes unauthorized or unsolicited advertising, junk or bulk e-mail; contains software viruses or any other similar computer codes, files, or programs; or impersonates any person or entity in a manner not protected by law.

(all of this, pretty much, is the same rules you have to obide by on 99% of web services....)

The only thing this browser really seems to be, is a fairly typical browser, with an AdBlocker and Comment Section addon...

Personally, I don't really care much about this "new thing" - I'm perfectly fine with websites needing advertising to...y'know...pay for their services, and will readily unblock any website from my AdBlocker that I actively use and/or isn't 90% ads, 10% content.

As for the comment sections...yeah...unmoderated (apparently, but who knows?) ones...I can see them only being used by completely normal and sane people  :-\