topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Difficulty with latest version of ScreenshotCaptor opening  (Read 3907 times)

Holisticmdwf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
HI,  Ever since I installed the most recent version of ScreenshotCaptor (which I use frequently and LOVE) it has been very sluggish about opening.  I have it on my toolbar at the bottom of my home screen (two monitors) and have to click on it several times to get it to open.  Sometimes there is a delay and it opens once, sometimes the backlog of clicks causes it to open two or three times.  In the past, once open, it has worked as expected.  Now, I have recently upgraded my graphics card to a much more powerful model and it is EVEN WORSE, not only was the program hard to get open, it has behaved erratically.  So bad, in fact, that I just uninstalled and reinstalled it just in case it was some sort of problem with the program itself, but it seems to still be an issue, at least with getting it to open.  Nothing else is behaving so strangely with the new graphics card.  There was a little flickering yesterday but NVIDIA said the driver wasn't current so we fixed that.  Today, so far, all is well otherwise.

I have just been putting up with this ever since the Jan 2020 version of ScreenshotCaptor was released, but given the newfound problems with the new graphics card, I realized I should have told you about it when it first occurred.

I am running the current version of Windows 10 Pro.

Anyone else having such issues?? 

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Difficulty with latest version of ScreenshotCaptor opening
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 03:34 AM »
Is ScreenshotCaptor referencing a network or USB attached drive anywhere? As in storing your screenshots? That doesn't help the startup speed, as SC tries to populate/refresh the list of recent images, and that type of drive tends to give slow access when first used since some time has passed.
And adding the screenshot directory to your AV exclusions list can give a speed improvement as well.

Holisticmdwf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 01:08 PM »
No network, no USB, saving directly to an SSD drive.  I am saving screenshots to the SSD but not intentionally storing them in Captor.  Captor keeps a list to the left of the screen of screenshots.  It got really slow this morning and now it is doing something weird with the little popup that comes on after the screenshot is taken, to name and choose file format, which I routinely use.  That is now behaving strangely and I don't know why.  I will try to figure out the AV exclusion suggestion.  Don't know what that is.  thanks for your reply.

Holisticmdwf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 01:27 PM »
Based on your feedback I decided to uninstall it again and tell it to delete all previous settings. This seems to have made a HUGE difference. I also notice that it wants to open best and fastest from the little hidden icon box in the right end of the taskbar.  Pinning it to the taskbar and using that as a way to open it and even using the shortcut on the desktop is way slower for some reason.  Just discovered this.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 03:32 AM »
I also notice that it wants to open best and fastest from the little hidden icon box in the right end of the taskbar.  Pinning it to the taskbar and using that as a way to open it and even using the shortcut on the desktop is way slower for some reason.
Well, not to spoil your discovery, but that is the way it was designed to work. Either by activating a capture mode from the tray icon, or by hitting a configured hotkey and start capturing... :-[

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 04:53 AM »
I also notice that it wants to open best and fastest from the little hidden icon box in the right end of the taskbar.  Pinning it to the taskbar and using that as a way to open it and even using the shortcut on the desktop is way slower for some reason.
Well, not to spoil your discovery, but that is the way it was designed to work. Either by activating a capture mode from the tray icon, or by hitting a configured hotkey and start capturing... :-[
Yeah, it's designed to run all the time, and then you have the choices of using shortcuts or the context menu of the tray icon, or the capture bar to take a screenshot. I always set it to start with windows.
Tom

Holisticmdwf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 04:57 PM »
ok.  that makes sense.  thanks  I hadn't wanted to do that to save RAM but I am about to double my RAM from 16 to 32 so that should take care of that. 

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 03:28 AM »
...I hadn't wanted to do that to save RAM but I am about to double my RAM from 16 to 32 so that should take care of that. 
If you are going from 16 MB to 32 MB that would make sense, but having anything from 4 GB and up in your PC, as any PC younger than 10 years would most likely have, then having ScreenshotCaptor resident shouldn't make any difference in day to day use.  ;D