topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature Request: Tagging & Annotating/Highlighting in CHS  (Read 3632 times)

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I find myself using CHS for a number of things. For example, transferring clips of texts from PDFs, E-Mails and Websites together with information about the date accessed, URL (if applicable), Window Titles, etc.

Given that the CHS database now serves as a central repository for many of the clips I use for research etc., I was wondering if it would be possible to annotate/highlight the contents of individual clips and to tag them. This would make the constant copying and pasting the clips to individual programs less necessary and would make CHS the go to App for managing  text and images from multiple sources in the form of a qualitative data database. It might also help against the annotations and codes being tied up in individual files and provide a central means to store and access snippets, programming codes, qualitative research codes, and annotations.

I will be interested in what Mouser and the others think about this and if anyone has similar solutions they are using.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:04 PM by m9833 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Request: Tagging & Annotating/Highlighting in CHS
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 10:48 PM »
I was wondering if it would be possible to annotate/highlight the contents of individual clips and to tag them.
do you mean adding multiple tags to different areas within one clip, or just adding some tags to the clip as a whole (which CHS will let you do).

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 01:51 PM »
Hi Mouser,

I did not know that CHS already allows tagging. How does one activate the tagging function for a clip?

In my request, I was just referring to adding some tags to the clip as a whole.

But your statement regarding adding multiple tags to different areas ties in very well with my request for highlighting and annotating, like in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat.  It also would make CHS the go-to tool for a lot of qualitative categorization and coding that I need to do.

Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 06:45 PM »
if you click the top little button at the header row of the table of clips you can enable the display of some additional columns, including some for adding tags.  CHS doesn't itself do anything special with these but you can use them for your own purposes.
And create special virtual groups to show you all clips with certain tags, etc.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 03:02 AM »
Mouser, this is great!

Would it be possible to create a virtual folder called say "Keywords", which automatically has child folders with notes containing all keywords.

Alternatively and possibly simpler, can one limit the quick search filter to search only in specific headers, apart from the general rule for searching through all headers?

Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 09:34 PM »
both goodideas let me think how best to implement.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 04:05 AM »
Thanks for considering the suggestions, dear Mouser. I look forward to how you implement these or similar features in CHS.

Could you also consider the possibility of being able to highlight text and objects and add comments to them via annotation and tagging? This would make the process of constantly copying and pasting elements from one program to another unnecessary and make CHS the central repository for a lot of content.

Because CHS has become so central to my workflow, I am very thankful for your efforts in making it even better.