topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Remind me of feature requests please  (Read 7140 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Remind me of feature requests please
« on: March 12, 2020, 01:07 AM »
I've been working like mad on the new extended clipboard format features for CHS; now would be a good time to remind me of older feature requests I've overlooked.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Remind me of feature requests please
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 12:52 AM »
@mouser:
I've been working like mad on the new extended clipboard format features for CHS; now would be a good time to remind me of older feature requests I've overlooked.

Features reminder:
  • OCR: Automatic OCR of images with embedded text in the image, placing the OCRed text in the Clip Text tab.
  • Wiki-like Clip-linking: The ability to link clips to each other.
    If there is one feature that excels above all others in information software of the past two decades that deserves its place in the note taking pantheon, its the humble double bracketed internal link.

We all recognise power to store and retrieve information at will, but when you combine this power with the ability to successfully create new knowledge trees from existing documents, to follow thoughts in a ‘stream of consciousness’ non-linear fashion then individual notes transform from multiple static word-silos into a living information system system.

Sadly, this is the one major feature that is always neglected, or is piecemeal at best… and one time note taking king Evernote is to blame."
    From: If there is one feature that excels above all others in information software of the past two decades that deserves its place in the note taking pantheon, its the humble double bracketed internal link.

We all recognise power to store and retrieve information at will, but when you combine this power with the ability to successfully create new knowledge trees from existing documents, to follow thoughts in a ‘stream of consciousness’ non-linear fashion then individual notes transform from multiple static word-silos into a living information system system.

Sadly, this is the one major feature that is always neglected, or is piecemeal at best… and one time note taking king Evernote is to blame.
  • Inheritance in Groups/Child groups tree: Enable/disable normal folders and virtual folders to inherit the clips of their children (sub-folders) on an individually selectable basis.
  • Cloning: A single Group or Child (Folder/Virtual Folder or subfolder) can be used many times. Each Group object can be "cloned" or replicated to occur elsewhere in the tree, so there may be "n" identical instances of a group in the tree. A change to a group's settings (e.g., the SQL in a virtual folder) will simultaneously change the same settings in all instances of the group (clones). Similarly, a change to the contents of a clip will simultaneously change all instances of that clip in any groups where it has been cloned.
  • Text clips can be saved as .TXT files: Enable selected .TXT or .RTF clips to have their data saved as .TXT files in the CHS database area (i.e., similar to how image clips are currently saved). These text files would then be indexable and searchable by WDS, GDS and other search engines.
  • RTF clips can be saved as .RTF files: Similarly, enable selected .RTF clips to have their data saved as Rich Text (.RTF) files in the CHS database area.
  • Remove or increase the arbitrary text limit in text clips: We need more text!
  • Save full path+filename of copied or cut folders/files: e.g., R:\Temp\VPN_4396\ ..or... R:\Temp\VPN_4396\VPN_Lock.dat
  • Retain metadata (URLs): - better retention of metadata relating to clipped web page data.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 03:57 AM by IainB, Reason: 2020-03-14 2156hrs (NZT) Additions/changes. »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 01:58 AM »
Remove or increase the arbitrary text limit in text clips: We need more text!
Save full path+filename of copied or cut folders/files: e.g., R:\Temp\VPN_4396\ ..or... R:\Temp\VPN_4396\VPN_Lock.dat
Retain metadata (URLs): - better retention of metadata relating to clipped web page data.

I think 7-9 are implemented in the alpha with multi-format copying.

Cloning:
Can you explain #4?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 02:05 AM »
1. OCR.. i will keep thinking about this.
2. Wiki-linking.. this is the more difficult case where I you are using CHS to do good things that are at the boundary of it's usefulness.  So it's not that I at all disagree with your value of this feature, I just can't help but feel that a better solution would be for me to start over and write a proper note taking/idea program rather than try to put features in CHS that feel awkward for it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 04:42 AM »
Cloning:
Can you explain #4?
What is meant here is the ability to see e.g a folder in two or more different locations. They are the same folder (hence the use of the word 'clone' is misleading - unfortunately it seems to have gained some traction in the IM world).
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 04:57 AM »
Well you can already do that for the most part in CHS, just make a virtual group and tell it to show all clips with a specific ParentId value (which designates its group), or various combinations thereof.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 12:39 PM »
@mouser:
Here's an emoji-chart of where we seem to be at present, with this list:
  • 1.OCR: @mouser will "keep thinking about this".
  • 2.Wiki-linking: ...difficult; a better solution would be to start over and write a proper note taking/idea program rather than try to put features in CHS that feel awkward for it.
  • 3. Inheritance in Groups/Child groups tree: :tellme: Enable/disable normal folders and virtual folders to inherit sub-folders and their clips.
  • 4. Cloning: [@tomos has it about right] exists, but KLUDGY - can already do that for the most part in CHS. Just make a virtual group and tell it to show all clips with a specific ParentId value (which designates its group), or various combinations thereof. Needs to be automated.
  • 5. Text clips can be saved as .TXT files:  :tellme:
  • 6. RTF clips can be saved as .RTF files:   :tellme:
  • 7. Remove or increase the arbitrary text limit in text clips: :up: implemented in the alpha with multi-format copying.
  • 8. Save full path+filename of copied or cut folders/files: :up: implemented in the alpha with multi-format copying.
  • 9. Retain metadata (URLs): (better retention of metadata) :up: implemented in the alpha with multi-format copying.

spam spam bacon spam

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 09:19 PM »
lol @ IainB's emoji chart...

Okay mouser...
(first, let me say that CH+S is pretty much my "most necessary" software on every one of my machines.... I mean, after the actual OS, that is...)

Off the top of my head, I have wished for:

• settings to be saved during updates
  • some sort of way to see my hotkeys, without going all the way in to options (like right clicking on icon and having a submenu item that would display the hotkeys configured, in a simple box
  • be able to configure the database location from the GUI, as opposed to the .ini (especially because this gets borked on updates)
  • that "targeting" was spelled correctly in the "Window Watching" description under Tweaks  ;)
  • that when I choose "Modify Format/Case" in the clip memo, it opens with all settings cleared.  (right now, I have a saved format called 'Clear out all settings" which I have to choose FIRST, then accept those "modifications" and close the window, only to choose Modify again, and THEN config what I want modified...)
  • waking me up with fresh coffee in bed is pretty much a WIN, as well.... ROFL

~spammy

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 12:51 AM »
I'm glad to hear that it's useful to you!

There's no reason that updating should mess with the settings.  Have you tried the latest alpha? I did find a problem recently that could cause problems with the updater closing the application where settings could in some cases be lost.  But the new alpha of CHS should solve that problem.

2. Interesting idea, will consider.

3. Difficult because the location of database and configuration options are governed by that option and so it needs to have a way for you to specify that BEFORE it loads the options file.

4. Noted, will be fixed in new release.

5. Maybe I can make an option that says to clear settings on opening modify format dialog.

6. I will implement that after I implement a cure to covid.

spam spam bacon spam

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 11:14 AM »

6. I will implement that after I implement a cure to covid.

Not to add burden you with added work, but... can you make it portable? 
Oh!  And compatible with every flavor of *nix, and lest we forget those who make poor purchase decisions, include Apple/Mac versions as well... ROFL.

vietnam rum

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 09:32 PM »
Feature request - re-sizable option

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=46479.0

Clipboard Help+Spell is excellent.
It is my favourite tool.

It would be great if you could resize the window to a much smaller size. I have attached some examples.

Ideas:-
Version number on top bar.
highlight bar on the current clipboard
Completely re-sizable.

Having CHS always on top with resized to only the top 3 copied pieces of information it takes up little space and you can view the information has copied correctly.

Excellent.
Thanks.

clipboard-resizeable.png

Your reply:-
Interesting ideas.. They somewhat overlap with an idea I had..

I was thinking of a new optional window for CHS that would just show clips from one group (normally the NEW group), in a very compact form, and optionally docked to an edge of the screen with auto sliding/hiding or set to always be on top.

It would really have only 2 purposes:
To show you the most recent clips at a glance
To let you quickly double click an item to paste it into your current application.

Does it sound like this would satisfy your ideas as well?