topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Rewriting 2xl simulator in html5  (Read 9385 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Rewriting 2xl simulator in html5
« on: January 26, 2020, 01:45 AM »
It looks like html5 may have enough audio seeking to make moving from flash to html5 native a real possibility.
Anyone interested in working with me to convert the 2xl simulator to html5/javascript?

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Rewriting 2xl simulator in html5
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 03:25 AM »
Due time conflict i cant accept to fully integrate my skills for a complete project but i can offer you help to program javascript code (if it would help)

Just let me know.

Cheers

Kalid0r

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2020
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 10:49 AM »
This is my first post, I found and joined this forum because of the 2XL simulator.

I am very interested in helping with this. Is it something you are still pursuing and what did you have in mind?

Can't wait to get involved!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 10:47 AM by Kalid0r, Reason: It hadn\'t gone live and I fancied changing it. »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 08:12 AM »
Rewriting the 2xl simulator is definitely needed since browsers are all dropping support for flash.  The alternative would be to rewrite it for mobile platform (java for android).. but if it can be done with html5, that's the way to go.
If we can find someone with some experience with handling audio files in html5 that would be great.. If I have to I can learn it myself, but if there's someone else ready to tackle the project even better!

Kalid0r

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2020
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 05:10 PM »
I made it back for an update and it hasn't quite been a full year since my first post. This must be what overachieving feels like?

I have been working on this but have taken a different approach to the one mentioned on this thread. I kinda want to revamp my old 2XL for my children so I decided to code this in Python with a view to retrofitting a raspberry pi in place of the tape deck. I couldn't bring myself to cut holes in MY 2xl so eBay has provided me with a willing donor unit that does not have the same level of sentimental value.

The project is not complete but I have written a first draft of the program which also happens to be the first program I have written in Python. Python has been a pleasure to work with and after the last 10 years spent doing something that no self respecting coder would call coding in an archaic software platform for a specific industry and purpose it has actually been great fun to write some code for a proper language again.

Mouser very kindly send me the MP3 files, frustratingly I had to transcode them all to get this thing to work but I do have a working program now.

I also spotted that in "WorldOf2XL" track 2 is a duplicate of track 1. I have a copy of this on tape somewhere so will sort that as well when I get a chance.

My code is not ready to share yet, but it will be eventually. I don't know why I am posting this really! Just that I guess anyone interested in 2xl might read it - I tried telling my wife about this program but that did not get the reaction I felt such momentous news deserved!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 11:03 PM »
Python is a great language -- it's wonderful to hear you are enjoying the project.  Can't wait to read more updates.  Keep at it!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: