topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help Needed with Read Only Alias File  (Read 2546 times)

SoldOnParadise

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help Needed with Read Only Alias File
« on: January 14, 2020, 01:45 PM »
I have been a registered user of FARR for many years. I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 and I can't figure out how to restore my FARR myaliases.alias file so it's not Read Only. I have tried everything I can think of and searched high and low to no avail. Can anyone help me out? Thank you!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help Needed with Read Only Alias File
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 03:00 PM »
A couple of possibilities / queries:

Are you using the portable or installed version?
Where is the myalias file saved?

I have FARR installed. The myalias file is in the My Docs folder -- it is editable
*\Documents\DonationCoder\FindAndRunRobot\AliasGroups\MyCustom\myaliases.alias

In the portable version, it's probably stored within the FARR directory -- this should not be in the Program folder (should be somewhere you have permission to edit).

Are you unable to remove the read-only attribute from the file?
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 03:05 PM »
[EDIT: Tomos posted much of what I said below before I got a chance -- however one note is that the "read-only" that FARR is talking about is just its internal decision, and has nothing to do with read-only flags that windows puts on files, so no point looking at those]

FARR treats its built-in alias files as read-only because they would get overwritten on an update.. But the myaliases.alias file should not be in the same place and so should not be treated that way.
I wonder if perhaps your "myaliases.alias" file was put by you in the same folder path as the built-in aliases?

In general, assuming a non-portable install, the built-in aliases will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\FindAndRunRobot\AliasGroups\Installed\
And your custom alias file(s) will be in: C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\DonationCoder\FindAndRunRobot\AliasGroups\MyCustom\

Check to see if they aren't where they should be.  You can exit farr and move them if not.
If that's not the problem, make sure that you aren't trying to run FARR portably (by editing the configdir.ini file) from a directory where that would be illegal (like C:\Program Files..)..  One of the ways people get into trouble is by copying a portable install to the normal program files directory..

Let me know if you get it solved.

I think perhaps one thing I could add to FARR is have it show the absolute directory where an alias file is located when it's selected, and maybe check for the cases where the myalias file is where it shouldn't be.. Maybe a hint for people to explain WHY an alias file is being treated as read-only and how to deal with that if they want to modify such an alias.

SoldOnParadise

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 04:27 PM »
Thank you both. This is the installed version on Windows 10 and I'm not finding either of the paths that were mentioned. The only Documents folder I have is on my D: drive.