topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Legally Buy & Download Music Easily - Is it even possible any more?  (Read 16147 times)

Lolipop Jones

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Legally Buy & Download Music Easily - Is it even possible any more?
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2020, 02:41 PM »
From what I have read online (IANAL) it is legal to capture and save streaming audio to your computer provided that you do not redistribute the captured content to others.

However, it is against the terms of service of all the streaming providers and they would be entitled to cancel your account if they somehow caught you at it.
Today's problems were yesterday's solutions....

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FYI

Shady sites like mp3caprice.com are apparently unlicensed.

https://www.billboar...it-piracy-watch-list

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
An update:
I more or less only buy digital from Bandcamp. And it's not much.
Amazon has become even more of a PITA trying to buy digital -- some digital music they offer for sale -- some only for streaming. Also it's only mp3 quality :down:
And what with me being a very late adopter of anything, I've retreated to CDs again :-)

So,
veering slightly off-topic: I generally buy used CD's from discogs.com (new probably from amazon).
I have recently bought a DAC (with Bluetooth) for my ageing amp. Will wait with buying a network player /streamer till I actually get my act together and rip some more of them CDs :D
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I am curious if anyone knows the maximum quality possible when recording to cassette tape?  I used to have a tape deck/CD player/tuner system that would analyze an audio CD and dub it at 2x onto cassette.  Since the recording industry lost the battle long ago over cassette recording I wonder if anyone has taken a cassette so recorded and fed it into a PC to rip it as audio files?  Or is the quality so bad as to make it not worth the effort? (Assuming the source CD was a super high quality recording.)

Just asking for the sake of argument.   :)