topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: QuickTime messed up everything  (Read 5786 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
QuickTime messed up everything
« on: November 20, 2019, 11:16 AM »
Hello

I made the mistake to download a video cutter software and it required Quicktime. In the middle of the extremely lengthy install, I cancelled it.

Now, when I click on a map link in Firefox, Mac Maps come up instead of the regular Google.

Any idea?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: QuickTime messed up everything
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 11:03 PM »
You should be able to adjust the defaults in the configuration of your FireFox browser. That includes map links and should be relatively easy to do. Google is still your friend.

However, if you can't or the botched installation made a mess of many more settings than just maps, try and look for a button to reset your configuration of FireFox to 'default', 'original default' or something similar. Make sure you create a backup of your current configuration first (MozBack, if I remember correctly)!

You can also create a new user profile in FireFox and manually copy things from your old profile into the new one. The latter options do not sound like fun and they aren't.

Consider it a lesson learned regarding installing software that has been dreamed up by Apple. Should not be allowed to be installed on anything that isn't Apple hardware, as those users are accustomed to the 'Apple's way or the highway'-mentality that comes with their software. There are more than enough video-cutters that are based on ffMpeg, which is excellent video manipulation software by itself. Although it has a steep learning curve in that form. But there are many (freeware)solutions that make working with ffMpeg a lot easier.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 11:06 PM »
QuickTime is not even supported by Apple anymore. It is dead.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 02:15 AM »
QuickTime is not even supported by Apple anymore. It is dead.
Even when it was supported it was a nightmare.
(IIRC there were alternative versions of it which were supposed to be more user-friendly.)
Tom