topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can't drag app's window into reserved space  (Read 7236 times)

apinel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can't drag app's window into reserved space
« on: October 27, 2019, 09:36 AM »
I docked Desktop Coral to the top of my screen and it looks whitish/transparent.  I want to drag an app's window into that area so that other windows/apps don't interfere with its visibility (i.e., so that it's always on top); it's a news headline program so I want to make sure I always have them visible.  However, when I try to drag the news app's window into that area it gets blocked at the border of the reserved zone.

Much appreciated.

apinel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can't drag app's window into reserved space
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 01:03 PM »
It's a problem when the reserved space is docked to the top of the screen.  If I dock it to the sides of the screen I'm able to move the app to those spaces.  Has to do with the mouse cursor getting blocked.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 01:44 PM »
It's a question that comes up occasionally.  Unfortunately it has to do with the way the program works -- it reserves the space so Windows will not let you put any icons into that space.  (Not sure why it seemed to work differently when docked on the side).
It's useful for applications that draw on the screen, like Rainmeter, but not so useful if you want to put desktop icons into the reserved space.

What you COULD do, if you want to put icons to launch applications or documents in the reserved space, is try my Launchbar Commander tool, which may be overkill for what you want, but does let you create (an optionally transparent) reserved docking area on your screen, and let you populate it with icons to launch files, shortcuts, menus, etc.

apinel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 02:02 PM »
Thanks, Mouser.  What I ended up doing is that I reserved the space on the bottom part of the screen (i.e., docked to bottom) after moving standard Windows toolbar to the top of the screen.  That allowed me to move the app's window to the bottom of the screen within the reserved space.  Therefore the issue only occurs if one wishes to set the reserved space to the top of the screen.