topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 8:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ThunderDrive 2 TB Cloud Storage for $59 Lifetime / $98 4 TB Lifetime Fee  (Read 7969 times)

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello,

I wanted to introduce quite an interesting deal - with a few caveats:

ThunderDrive is a relatively new company in the Cloud Storage space and is trying to win a lot of customers.

They are having the following unlimited bandwidth (but of course limited storage of 2TB/4TB) deal:

2 TB storage space with unlimited bandwidth (here bandwidth is the combined amount of uploads and downloads to your cloud storage in a month) if bought directly from them with a one time lifetime (so NO yearly) fee.

The 4 TB plan comes up when you try to buy this package - then you will see a pop-up introducing an additional 2 TB for another $39, which makes it a grand total of $98.

You have 2 TB storage space with unlimited bandwidth for this price if you buy directly from them; their resellers who offer this same $59 package have a 2 TB/month bandwidth limitation.

The deal can be had here: https://thunderdrive.eu/offer/

One should know that the service this young company offers, is still a little bit short on features.

Right now you can only upload through their web interface. No apps on any platforms yet.

The company plans to introduce apps for iOS and Android this quarter. In the final quarter there roadmaps states that they will start a desktop app, third party import and multi-user support. They also mentioning the introduction of a new pricing structure soon, which I take to mean a price increase, since I doubt that the current prices are sustainable and are probably serving as a capitalization boost to get the company going.

There roadmap is spelled out here: https://thunderdrive.eu/roadmap/

Their website looks professional and has chat support. First a bot and then if the bot cannot answer you will be switched over to a human.

Oh before I forget: They DO have servers in North America AND in Europe. Your account will be placed on the European server, if you buy through https://thunderdrive.eu, if you want to be placed on North American servers, buy through this website: https://thunderdrive.io.

If anyone has used this service already, I would love to hear your experiences.
Regards, Brahman
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 10:43 AM by brahman »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bandwidth?  Or storage?

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
2 TB or 4 TB storage (depending on plan you chose - discussed in 1st post) and unlimited bandwidth, f.e. if you add to the drive 1.5 TB today, after 1 week you delete that 1.5 TB and add 1.5 TB again, and do the same a few days later, you would have used up 3 x 1.5TB = 4.5 TB bandwidth and that is permissible under the unlimited bandwidth policy if you buy directly from thunderdrive.io or thunderdrive.eu and NOT from a reseller.
Regards, Brahman
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 10:45 AM by brahman »

hornet

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I bought through a reseller (sharewareonsale).

It took a long time to upload my files - but I got there!

The website is basic - but worked ok for me.

Just hope they are able to make a go of it.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PCloud has had similar offerings. 
Both are interesting.

One criticism is that if these companies sell too many lifetime subscriptions, that can lead to their short lifetime :).

However, the plus-side view it that these are meant more to generate buzz, and help get a critical mass of customers.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In general, pcloud has been more, at least for the offers I've seen.  I've been paying attention because I like and use pcloud.  It's in one of those funny situations where I've made money off of pcloud affiliate program, but haven't actually bought anything because I'm waiting for a really good deal.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I amended my first post to make ThunderDrive's difference in plans between storage space and bandwidth more clear.

I think physical storage space has been coming down in price, so it seems only logical that cloud spaces which of course somewhere also use physical storage space, should be getting cheaper too.

I remember Microsoft also using a similar strategy: They offered unlimited storage space in the beginning for their subscription, and now where they have become established players in that field, there terms are quite different.

So from that point of view, ThunderDrive's offering makes sense.
Regards, Brahman

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm always leery of lifetime deals.  Who knows how long they'll be in business or get bought-out and change the terms of existing user contracts.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm always leery of lifetime deals.  Who knows how long they'll be in business or get bought-out and change the terms of existing user contracts.
-Midnight Rambler (October 08, 2019, 10:23 AM)
:up:

Especially with a hosted service.  Their infrastructure costs money over time, and the lifetime doesn't cover that.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, it's obviously a pyramid scheme. :)
Regards, Brahman