topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: XYplorer File Manager  (Read 216252 times)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XYplorer File Manager
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2008, 05:49 AM »
Sounds like you wanted it to look like some other filemanager? I'd suggest giving it a go and trying it on its own merits. I think good software makes it clear how it should best be used instead of offering unlimited customations and no guidance. :)

TheQwerty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2008, 07:08 AM »
Just to address some of kartal's dislikes.

It does not have dual panes,
It's a heated topic of discussion on the XYplorer forums.  Recently, Don has stated he'd give it a bit more consideration if the users could come up with a solid proposal, which the DP lovers are attempting ( http://www.xyplorer....viewtopic.php?t=2293 ).

It does not have a ftp client,
Correct, Don feels that his time is better spent working on the file manager side of things then adding an FTP implementation, especially since there are an abundance of clients already available.

It does not support mouse forward backward buttons, at least mine did not work
This works for me, but if you were to bring this up in the forums a fix might be found.  Don's pretty good at trying to fix mouse event bugs.

You can not change the placement of panes (for example I would like viewer on the left or right side)
You can not seperate bottom pane. For example I would like to put find files at top, properties at the bottom
Limited layout selection
I agree it would be nice if the panes could be separated, moved, and docked independently.

You can not get rid of tree view (at least I could not)
Window -> Show Navigation Panel.  Unless you mean show the Catalog but not the tree, then unfortunately it's not currently possible.

In full row select mode you cannot drag selection rectangle
Tis true, I'm going to post a suggestion in the forums on a fix for this.

EDIT: Actually it is possible to use the selection rectangle with full row select mode, but you have to click in "Line Numbers"/# column to start it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 07:14 AM by TheQwerty »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2008, 10:18 AM »
Dual pane is not the most important issue to me. But customization of placement of panes and what I want to see in my workspace is the most important. When the  software does not let you customize it feels like dictatorship to me. Do not get me wrong, it was very responsive and fast. It had some nice details that other apps did not have like color toggling. Compared to other apps like powerdesk or directory opus I felt like this was a better paid alternative. I just cannot live without customized layout. I will give another round thou.

thanks

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2008, 06:03 PM »
Dual Panes was the most important issue, but with his statement that it was on the roadmap, just not the next exit, I decided to give it a go.  I still use DO (and will probably have to upgrade damn his eyes for upgrade costs especially since you need that to get native vista support), but XY is finding a place on my desktop and my USB drive.  The FTP would be more of an issue if it was dual pane, but I just use DO whenever I need to FTP.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2008, 06:10 PM »
I gotta say that after a while, dual panes becomes less of an issue.  Most of the stuff I do is easy enough with either 1 pane or 2 tabs, i dont have to see all the files in the other tab.  Saying that though I have total commander UP for when I think dual panes would be better.  and xy just gets better day by day almost anyway, at least a couple of times a week a new update.  I only get the final release usually unless i see something I really want in the interim releases, I was downloading so many xyplorers it was getting out of hand  ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2008, 06:19 PM »
My biggest issue with single pane is drag and drop (or copy) operations.  True, they're doable with single pane with tabs, but it is a bigger issue.  And you can't have convenient buttons or right click menus that say send to other pane.  And the ability to see two directories side by side is a very key thing to me...

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2008, 03:33 AM »
And the ability to see two directories side by side is a very key thing to me...

It's invaluable when you want to compare directories.  Twin-pane Total Commander has very good compare and synchronize features.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2008, 03:42 AM »
And the ability to see two directories side by side is a very key thing to me...

me too,
I often have to compare (esp by date) different versions/formats of files which are in different folders...
Tom

surftwo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2008, 01:18 PM »
Version 5......is now free not as many features but it has enough.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2008, 01:29 PM »
Great thing about dual pane(if it is well implemented) you can hide one of the panes. You do not have such chance with monopanes.

Btw I am not seeing version 5 anywhere?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 01:32 PM by kartal »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2008, 03:47 AM »
had to do a double take there...

kartal.pngXYplorer File Manager
Tom

surftwo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2008, 01:31 AM »
Do a Google search for free xyplorer and you'll get this page or just go here to get the free version.
It's version 5.5........<a href="http://www.xyplorer.com/free.php">xyplorer</a>

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2008, 09:29 PM »
Oh well...  I have had my lifetime license for only about a week, and I am really 'jonesin' for dual panes.  Very painful withdrawal!  I can't believe I missed this - I guess I figured that everyone here spoke so well of XYplorer that it just must have dual panes!  After all, I see the availability of more than one pane as kind of a standard of aftermarket file explorers. After all it is one of the most visible and obvious differences from the default Windows Explorer. (And to me, one of the most helpful).

Anyway, I see that the "purists" over at the XY forums are all smacking themselves on the back and posting how only rank amateurs want dual pane explorers, and "real" power users know that single pane explorers are so much better.

I'd say that XYplorer will probably never have a dual pane view. Good think I have my Directory Opus license to fall back on - and, of course, my old faithful, Total Commander!

Jim

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2008, 12:48 AM »
I find I'm using XYplorer more and more as time goes by.  The dual panes are becoming less of an issue and I have a couple of options there if i really want to see 2 panes.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2008, 12:57 AM »
I find I'm using XYplorer more and more as time goes by.  The dual panes are becoming less of an issue and I have a couple of options there if i really want to see 2 panes.
BTW, the next release will feature the incredible Portable Openwith Menu (POM). Here's a preview: http://www.xyplorer.com/release_7.10.htm

ad-min

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2008, 01:41 AM »
Anyway, I see that the "purists" over at the XY forums are all smacking themselves on the back and posting how only rank amateurs want dual pane explorers, and "real" power users know that single pane explorers are so much better.

I think nobody thinks that "SP is good and DP is bad" or "only amateurs use DP". It's just a matter of personal tastes.

I never understood that so many people seem to see it like a war between different concepts and everybody who prefers "the other one" is a fool. We should be happy to be able to choose: some prefer XY (not because it's NOT a DP file manager but because of it's unique features, great support, etc.), some prefer one of the various other DP file managers.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2008, 02:50 AM »

I think nobody thinks that "SP is good and DP is bad" or "only amateurs use DP". It's just a matter of personal tastes.

I never understood that so many people seem to see it like a war between different concepts and everybody who prefers "the other one" is a fool. We should be happy to be able to choose: some prefer XY (not because it's NOT a DP file manager but because of it's unique features, great support, etc.), some prefer one of the various other DP file managers.

With quotes like this...

I wonder: is it a small but loud group of mad junkies (it seems so, looking at their dogmatic attachment to an outdated Win3.1 interface), OR is it a real majority of serious computer workers? I mean, MS dropped dual pane 12 years ago with Win95 and the introduction of the folder tree and never brought it back. Is MS also hassled by "Please DP"-whining?

...and this:

I really don't understand why you are so reserved about this topic and don't jump into programming action. Place a nice toolbar button called DP and on pressing a message appears 'UP YOURS' and then after brief interval for remorse, close down XYPlorer permanently.

... need I go into it any further?  Or can you see why I don't really relish the "discussions" about dual pane in that forum?

Jim
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 02:57 AM by J-Mac »

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #167 on: April 18, 2008, 03:05 AM »
thats why i only go to the developers forums as a last resort, if im choosing software i look around here to see what people are using and who is using what and why.  Then look for impartial reviews on other sites, but the hardcore support forums are always last on my list if i ever go there

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #168 on: April 18, 2008, 03:17 AM »
BTW, the next release will feature the incredible Portable Openwith Menu (POM). Here's a preview: http://www.xyplorer.com/release_7.10.htm

that looks really nice Don :) (& the variable tab width too :up:)

there was some kind of hack (or miniprog?) mentioned here somewhere at some stage - when you'd go to open certain file-extensions you would get the choice of (pre)selected programmes to open it - seemed to work for others but not for me so looking forward to trying your "POM"
Tom

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2008, 02:55 PM »

that looks really nice Don :) (& the variable tab width too :up:)

there was some kind of hack (or miniprog?) mentioned here somewhere at some stage - when you'd go to open certain file-extensions you would get the choice of (pre)selected programmes to open it - seemed to work for others but not for me so looking forward to trying your "POM"
You can try it already in the BETA version, it's near-perfect by now. The associations in the POM are not only by extension but by any wildcarded pattern, or even by a specific filename: IOW you can have individual openwith context menus for specific files (!) -- and with unlimited power: POM supports scripting, so there's far more in it than just "open with..." :)

noutters

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2008, 03:24 AM »
For those eager BETA tester, I post now my Autohotscript script that upgrades automatically XYplorer. Enjoy. :Thmbsup:

;-------------------Start of script-------------------------
#SingleInstance,Force
#Persistent
ApplicationTitle=Download XYplorer Beta`nCompile 5/1/2007 11:38AM
SetBatchLines,-1

TrayTip,,Downloading latest XYplorer Beta...
UrlDownloadToFile, http://www.xyplorer.com/latestbeta.php, c:\temp.zip
TrayTip,,Downloading latest XYplorer Beta... DONE!
;MsgBox,1,,Close all instances of XYplorer and upgrade?
;IfMsgBox,Cancel
;{
;  FileDelete, c:\temp.zip
;  ExitApp
;}

TrayTip,,Closing XYplorer
loop, 10
{
Process,Close,XYplorer.exe
if ErrorLevel
   Sleep, 500
else
   Continue
}

; The following line should be changed according to the program you use to unzip your files
TrayTip,,Upgrading XYplorer
RunWait, c:\util\7za.exe e -y -o"C:\Program Files\XYplorer\"  c:\temp.zip   ;<-------------- you need to change the path to the unzip program

FileDelete, c:\temp.zip
TrayTip,,Restarting XYplorer
Run, C:\Program Files\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe
Sleep 1000
TrayTip
ExitApp

Return
;-------------------End of script-------------------------

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2008, 02:11 PM »
DonL

Will there be any layout customization sometime soon? That is one thing I need to have it myself. At the moment your app is very very nice however I hate where preview,find etc are to be honest :( I do not use xyplorer but I would like to in the future :)

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2008, 09:20 AM »
DonL

Will there be any layout customization sometime soon? That is one thing I need to have it myself. At the moment your app is very very nice however I hate where preview,find etc are to be honest :( I do not use xyplorer but I would like to in the future :)

There are good reasons for the way it is now. Please attend user forum for further discussion.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
XYplorer 7.70 has been released on 15-Oct-2008
« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2008, 06:15 AM »

XYplorer 7.70 has been released on 15-Oct-2008. Here's a quick introduction to the main new features:

New Address Bar Deluxe with icons and optimized usability. It...
... supports Unicode.
... optionally auto-completes path names.
... optionally auto-completes recently used items.
... supports TAB-bing through the items.
... supports select-all-by-triple-click.
... is highly configurable.
... shows icons for edit box and list items. Icons help you to easily distinguish the various types of items that are supported by the Address Bar: Folders, Files, Drives, Servers, Quick Searches, Visual Filters, URLs, Scripts.

The edit box icon instantly adjusts to the text while-U-type, thus giving you immediate feedback about the existence of a path or the nature of an item:

Color Filters 2.0. Now you can define the backcolor of items.

Scripting. Now with math, logic, and functions. 
As a little demonstration here's how to abuse your favorite file manager as a basic calculator: ...

Unicode support is now complete for all parts of the application.

Speed. Browsing folders and finding files got faster again. Also switching tabs is now incredibly smooth.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2008, 06:53 AM »
'Tis a wonderful thing, gets better almost weekly and the regular major release is always a nice one.   :Thmbsup: