topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Eudora, Hermes and Pandora - also compared to TheBat! and other email clients  (Read 60209 times)

Attronarch

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My small contribution here...

I've used Pegasus (not since about 2000, though) and TheBat! and finally settled on Thunderbird.

I still have a license for TheBat! but I didn't go beyond v7 -- I always loved its configurability and its use of FidoNet-style message quoting but I got badly burnt by a massive failure of the encryption mechanism for the Voyager variant and I decided never to trust it again.

Thunderbird's abandonment of its addons infrastructure is an annoyance -- a couple of addons for message management that I used and relied on have either gone away already or are going away as we speak (Nostalgy and QuickFolders being the most important of them) but the newly discovered ability to create virtual folders via the saved search functionality has just stopped me wondering about possible alternatives, which is why I started reading this thread in the first place!

I have tens of thousands of stored emails in Thunderbird and it copes. This is probably A Good Thing. :)

Consider trying out Interlink Mail & News.

It was developed after Thunderbird announced that it'll follow the webextensions route.

I've been using it for seven months now and it works perfectly. In some regards it's faster than Thunderbird (e.g. yearly view in calendar).

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How many Thunderbird forks do we need?

Attronarch

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Only one.

sphere

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My small contribution here...

I've used Pegasus (not since about 2000, though) and TheBat! and finally settled on Thunderbird.

I still have a license for TheBat! but I didn't go beyond v7 -- I always loved its configurability and its use of FidoNet-style message quoting but I got badly burnt by a massive failure of the encryption mechanism for the Voyager variant and I decided never to trust it again.

Thunderbird's abandonment of its addons infrastructure is an annoyance -- a couple of addons for message management that I used and relied on have either gone away already or are going away as we speak (Nostalgy and QuickFolders being the most important of them) but the newly discovered ability to create virtual folders via the saved search functionality has just stopped me wondering about possible alternatives, which is why I started reading this thread in the first place!

I have tens of thousands of stored emails in Thunderbird and it copes. This is probably A Good Thing. :)

It was developed after Thunderbird announced that it'll follow the webextensions route.

I've been using it for seven months now and it works perfectly. In some regards it's faster than Thunderbird (e.g. yearly view in calendar).

Thanks for sharing this.  It had not occurred to me to check out additional forks. Which is a pretty obvious answer to the issue.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 11:18 AM by sphere »

sphere

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It is mightier. :)

Who would not want something mightier!  The question I have is how.  There are surprising little in way of reviews about the Bat.  I looked on youtube.   I will DC forums.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The one thing The Bat! does not have is Lightning. Everything else is there.  :)

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member

Thanks -- I'll give it a go!
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

sphere

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The one thing The Bat! does not have is Lightning. Everything else is there.  :)

Can it do the scheduling and monitoring I am looking for:

Scheduling emails:
Thunderbird has the ability through an addon to send an email at a prescribed time, you can schedule an email to be sent at a certain time or send it to be a reoccurring email.  It is really nice if you are working late at night and do not want to send an email  at 2am.  You can have it go at 8am ( during working hours).  Does the Bat! have that ability?  Any other email clients?

Monitoring replies: Thunderbird used to have a number of other add-ons that were extremely useful that have stopped working due to the changes touched on earlier in this thread due to TB development.  There were a family of add-ons that allowed you to monitor replies.  You could set the add-on to monitor IF an email had been replied to. When sending the email you would basically tell the add-on to notify you if they did not reply by  a date of your choosing.   Sucha  simple thing, but you were able to automate a piece of follow-up.  I traditionally set a monitor reply of a week.  If somethig was more pressing, then I would make it shorter.  Does the bat or any other email client have that?

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Scheduling:
https://www.ritlabs.....php?ELEMENT_ID=3841

Monitoring: Should be possible with a macro.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just want to say first that I am very pleased that the Eudora/Hermes descriptions worked nicely for some of our posters!

When the information comes forth on the email forums (often in posts by Katrina Knight) it can be hidden and hard to handle. My idea was that Donationcoder was a more visible and helpful all purpose site.

zoom14st

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, Thank you for the TLS updated files but still cannot download email (Upload's OK). See attached. SSL is using TSLv1.2 but Eudora 'Notes' says "Certificate bad: Destination Host name does not match  host name in certificate. But ignoring this error because Certificate is trusted"

However none of my certificates gets skull sign. Could you kindly point me to right direction getting the updated certificate perhaps?

Eudora cert.pngEudora, Hermes and Pandora - also compared to TheBat! and other email clients
Eudora cert-2.pngEudora, Hermes and Pandora - also compared to TheBat! and other email clients

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The HERMES project seems to be sleeping now. A pity, actually.

thechuckster

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yea no new updates for some time.

My 3 biggest issues with this now is... for about 2 years...
1. When sending email, I have to move the msg from the out box to some other then back to out to prevent it from re-sending again after startup.

2. every mailbox checked generates a 1kb HEX coded tmp file, adding up to many thousands in a short time.
C:\Users\--username--\AppData\Local\Temp\lmo????.tmp lmo4F8C.tmp for example

3. when including an attachment, when issue 1 happens, after moving back to out mailbox, the attachment reference is broken on my side.

Also, can a updated SSL file be made please.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The one thing The Bat! does not have is Lightning.

The Bat! version 10 aims to fix that with a new address book and a calendar, by the way. (But I won't go back.)

nmatavka

• Participant
  • Joined in 2023
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dear Forum Members,

I wish to address some misconceptions that have arisen in this forum thread. Contrary to certain opinions expressed, HERMES Aurora is far from "sleeping" or "dead"; it is very much alive and thriving. We acknowledge the absence of visible product releases over the past few years, and I'd like to provide some clarification regarding our company and our software.

HERMES is the name of the startup company I am associated with, responsible for creating this software. The product we used to provide, which lacked a formal name, served as a bridge package to enable QUALCOMM Eudora to send and check mail on modern servers.

Our flagship product, the continuation of Eudora for Windows, goes by the name Aurora, symbolizing a new era in personal email. Aurora has already been released on Indiegogo, although our promotion efforts for this launch were somewhat limited. It has undergone 24 alpha versions and is fully functional on modern Windows, Linux, and Haiku systems. Currently, our user base consists of a relatively small number, in the low three digits.

We have chosen to offer Aurora through a unique pay-what-you-want model. By making a contribution, which we refer to as a "donation," on our Indiegogo page (accessible at https://igg.me/at/hermes80) and selecting "See Options," you will receive an email within a few days. This email will contain a link to download the product, as well as information on where to seek support in case of any issues. It's important to note that the term "donation" is in quotes because it's not a traditional donation; it represents a regular sales contract, with detailed terms provided on the purchase page. Our product is not just a concept; it exists and is actively maintained.

Unlike Pandora, Aurora is essentially the same email client you have known and cherished. Furthermore, it is competitively priced and offers a more affordable alternative compared to options like The Bat! or Pandora.

We appreciate your understanding and continued interest in HERMES Aurora.

Warm regards,

Aurora Marketing