topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Stadia Google  (Read 20466 times)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Stadia Google
« on: March 19, 2019, 01:29 PM »
GS.JPG

Not a gamer but curious to read what you guys at DC think about this, perhaps an interesting topic :)

Onstage at GDC,  Google  CEO Sundar Pichai announced the company’s latest big initiative, taking on the entire gaming industry with a live-streaming service called Stadia that will be launching this year.

The service will let gamers leave their hefty GPUs and expensive systems behind. Pichai says that the service can be used on devices with a Chrome browser and an internet connection. To Google that means Stadia will launch on desktops, laptops, TVs, tablets and phones. The service will work across platforms, so you won’t just be competing with other Stadia users.

https://techcrunch.c...ills-huge-downloads/

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Stadia Google
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 12:43 AM »
Streaming video games gets a "meh" out of me for a variety of reasons that I don't feel like going into much detail about at the moment. But here are a few of those reasons, in brief:

• DRM
  • Subscription fees
  • Latency

And with Google taking on a project like this, I can also add privacy concerns to the list.

That said, I can see how the technology would benefit some people, so I guess I'm glad the option exists. (Or will exist in the near future.)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 02:22 PM »
I still prefer something like Shadow if I'm going to do something like this.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 12:39 AM »
Okay, I have more time to go into detail about some of my thoughts.

First of all, I should say that I didn't read the linked article. Nor did I watch the Google GDC keynote. I watched this video summary of the Google GDC keynote:

Basically, my opinion is that streaming video game services are an anti-consumer, DRM-pusher's dream come true.

The player doesn't own their games (DRM)
At any moment, and for any reason, the service can terminate your account and revoke your access to any and all games you've played, including the associated save data. For some people, on some games, that can amount to hundreds or even thousands of hours of progress lost.

In addition, it may not take long before license agreements expire and are not re-negotiated and you end up with a system where your favorite games suddenly disappear from the library.

Combine this with the increasingly censorious nature of Silicon Valley tech companies who will unperson (ban/deplatform) anyone they arbitrarily deem to be engaging in wrongthink, often without offering a method to work toward absolution, and... well, no one should be surprised if they suddenly lose access to some or all of their games, e.g., because they expressed the wrong opinion on Twitter, Facebook, or even "privately" in Gmail.

Monthly subscription fee
As far as I know, no pricing information was revealed, but it's hard to fathom such a service will come without a subscription fee. If there's one way that's sure to kill the enjoyment of games (at least for me) it's to require me to constantly pay for them to be able to continue to play them. To me it makes it feel more like I'm obligated to play; I feel that if I have any free time then I need to be playing the game(s) I'm subscribing to in order to get my money's worth. And if you stop paying, once again you've got nothing to show for it. I don't like the idea of renting things that I'm going to invest a significant portion of my life into, and this is essentially doing just that.

Latency
The USA is a big country, with a lot of real estate. Yet tech giants in the USA as well as companies from other (comparatively) tiny countries seem to think that New York City or Los Angeles are accurate indicators of what's available in the rest of the USA. I'm fortunate enough to live somewhere with reliable access to broadband at semi-decent prices. But my ISP (the local cable company) still enforces a data cap. And while download speeds (150 Mbps) are nice, upload speeds (5Mbps) are comparatively slow. And I know people who live just a few miles from me whose only access to broadband is wireless or satellite with much lower speeds and much higher latency.

In short, affordable, reliable broadband speeds required for a service like this to run well are not as widely available in the USA, much less the rest of the world.

Spyware/Privacy Concerns
This is being offered by Google. Need I say more?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:37 AM by Deozaan »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 08:44 AM »
^Nailed It!

(Ultimate Corporate Cloud Control) Anything can be taken away at anytime for any reason … But the consumer can keep on a payin', because it's all being done - by the mothership - "for their own good"...

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 09:03 AM »
And maybe the thought of extra business renting consumers their online stuff/entertainment/presence will provide the push to have much better internet service throughout the whole Unites States.

Which would act as an example for the other ISP/Telecom businesses over the world....

Like a herd of sheep being marched to go down the rabbit hole, chanting "#progress", "#new", "#shiny" etc. as we go.

Hmmm, that was a bit dark.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 03:08 PM »
^Nailed It!

(Ultimate Corporate Cloud Control) Anything can be taken away at anytime for any reason … But the consumer can keep on a payin', because it's all being done - by the mothership - "for their own good"...

That's the reason that the tech behind shadow appeals to me more.  I have a machine that I can game on, but I don't have to use that machine.  Of course, most people don't think that way...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 04:29 PM »
I also forgot to mention that since this is Google we're talking about. You can expect them to pull the plug on it within the next 5-10 years. :P

EDIT: And I just came across this on Twitter via Lanux128:

https://gcemetery.co/ - A list of dead Google products and when they died.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:44 PM by Deozaan »

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 04:47 PM »
I like it. I don't play much, only a few Steam games now and then and with a lower end GPU. Every time I do play the Steam client is annoyingly slow to start and always has to download updates first. Understandable since it was weeks/months since the last use, but still a wait. I'd gladly skip upgrading the GPU again in a few years time and by then instead switch to some Stadia type game streaming service if it is like Netflix: pay for a month and play anything in some basic package. I'd accept a little extra latency for that gain in convenience.

I'm curious how Stadia, if it becomes a thing, could shake up the currently walled in console platforms. Might for example Nintendo get on board and offer Switch games through the service?

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 09:47 AM »
Related read
https://arstechnica....treaming-skepticism/

Google came to the id offices to set up a "Pepsi Challenge"-style blind test between Stadia and local hardware "to keep themselves honest and really drill down on eliminating perceivable differences in the play experience. They also wanted to demonstrate that Stadia could be superior to a local experience in certain eyes." In that blind test, you could "hardly tell what was local and what was remote," according to Land.

The company also sees big benefits in the reduced friction of users not having to download game files and the added security of the game binary not being exposed to the end-user.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 12:50 AM »
I guess Stadia has launched. And it appears to be a mess.

Here are a few choice excerpts from a Forbes review:

I am genuinely amazed with how shockingly bad Stadia has performed at my home over the course of many sessions.

I would only play [Destiny 2] on Stadia if my consoles and my PC and laptop spontaneously burst into flames and I had no other choice.

I may have been a Stadia skeptic going into this test run, but I was willing to give it a chance. But this has been a catastrophe from start to finish during my testing phase, and the problem is that even if it did work flawlessly, which it absolutely doesn’t, the entire model seemed doomed from the start. This is an enormous miss from Google, and I am really wondering what the fallout is going to be from this ill-conceived early launch.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 02:22 PM »
Who could have predicted this outcome?  :-\

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009