topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: taking line-feeds and end-of-line hypens out of the clipboard text  (Read 3785 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
When Abbyy or Screenshot ShareX or some program puts text in the clipboard, I would like to have a simple way to get rid of the line feeds, and also eliminate any hyphens at the end of the lines (before the line feed).

Then when I go to paste into, eg. a forum, I won't have to move around every line.

It looks like this is optionally done by some editors.

I could ask Abbyy or ShareX to give the option as an enehancement.

Any utilities you know that do the job?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:33 AM by Steven Avery »

highend01

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Write an .ahk script (and compile it), that removes all hyphens and line breaks with a single regex replace?

#NoEnv
#SingleInstance Force

^+-:: ; Ctrl+Shift+-
Clipboard := RegExReplace(Clipboard, "(-+)?\r?\n")

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
You could also trigger a Clipboard Help+Spell preset to copy text under cursor, transform it and repaste it.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
This is a pretty handy tool: eCleaner (File: Cleaner v2.02 - clean202.zip) - as attached)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, good info. Somehow I missed the recent thread "some useful but less-known software. share your list!!!"
Try to check it out shortly.

This is a pretty handy tool: eCleaner (File: Cleaner v2.02 - clean202.zip) - as attached)
ecleaner is 2003, the web site is up on tripod.com
http://ecleaner.tripod.com/

From a description.
"eCleaner is a freeware application that cleans up e-mails that have been forwarded several times. First configure it once and for all to "Leave blank lines". Thereafter simply copy and paste any e-mail or web text into eCleaner, press the "Clean" button, immediately switch back to your wordprocessor or e-mail, and paste."

It seems to be mostly designed to get rid of ">".  Might be a nice simple tool for that purpose.
Probably does not touch line-feeds.

Text Monkey or Clippy, see this post: Re: some useful but less-known software. share your list!!!
Textmonkey looks like an Interesting program. I may try it, if it comes in handy it would be worth the pricey $30, they call that Pro, and there is evaluation, have to see what is what.

Write an .ahk script (and compile it), that removes all hyphens and line breaks with a single regex replace?
This might get me into the AHK world!  It would be nice though to only do the hyphens that are right before a line-feed.  You would search for the two characters as one unit, and then search for the single line-feeds.

You could also trigger a Clipboard Help+Spell preset to copy text under cursor, transform it and repaste it.
Sounds like a fine plan. I will try this out.  Can get me into the CHS world!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:07 AM by Steven Avery »