topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: autocopy function?  (Read 4845 times)

HankFriedman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Hank Friedman's Website
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
autocopy function?
« on: November 01, 2018, 05:46 PM »
I love clipboard help and spell. In fact, it's one of my most used and most valued programs.

I use Autocopy 2 in WaterFox to automatically copy to the clipboard any text that I select with the mouse, but that doesn't work anywhere else in Windows.

I would love it if you would add AutoCopy as a general function throughout Windows.

I did try DragKing, but it didn't work in WordPerfect or UltraEdit.

Any chance of adding this functionality?

Thanks again for a truly great piece of software.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: autocopy function?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 02:02 AM »
This is not a bad idea for a coding snack -- I think the way it would have to work is as an app where you could tell it which apps to monitor and trigger a Ctrl+C after a mouse click drag and release.
I believe that's the only way to trigger automatic copy on select (with ctrl+c), and you'd not want to do it in EVERY app, just certain ones.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 02:49 AM by mouser »

Lintalist

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Lintalist
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Just fyi and if you happen to be an AutoHotkey user (a scripting language for Windows) - there are various scripts that do that - here are some examples (incl. link to an older script) https://autohotkey.c....php?f=5&t=53867 - (as it happens a Lintalist user asked about this hence I recalled this). Using #IfWinActive and a Group you can make work in specific programs only.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 09:02 PM »
@Lintalist: Interesting. That AHK "Word-like" text selection simulator - seems like it could be a potential improvement. Thanks.
Personally, I hadn't been needing anything like that previously, but when it comes to repetitive manual tasks I am always on the lookout for ergonomically sound timesavers and this particular AHK idea might be more intuitive - and a potential timesaver to boot - than what I had trained myself to do using the default text-selection-and-copy approach that is effectively dictated by the prevailing system design.

Oh dear, I shall have to try it out now...(sigh).    :D
EDIT: 2018-11-03 1844hrs:
It (the Word-like select+copy) seems to work rather well!    :Thmbsup:
I have now enabled it for continuous use:
; EXPERIMENTAL 08 - Word-like text selection + copy. (Works OK) (Keep this for everyday use) (Enabled)
;                            - from https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53867
~LButton::
Sleep 200
If GetKeyState("LButton", "P")
{
  Click, Down
  While GetKeyState("LButton") {
   }
  send ^c
  Return
}
Else
Return
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:08 AM by IainB »

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 01:48 PM »
It might not quite match what the original "poster" is looking for, but the Autocopy2 extension combined with Cintanotes quick abilities to receive and paste from clipboard (option to add tags to notes and more) might be an option to consider:

Pasting notes from the clipboard
CintaNotes also supports direct text pasting from the Windows clipboard. Select the “Paste” command from the “Edit” menu or press Ctrl+V. CintaNotes creates a new note with the text from the clipboard. It also tries to determine which application has put the data into the clipboard, and if successful, it uses the application window title as the note’s title. Unfortunately, reliable clipboard data source detection is not always possible, and when CintaNotes fails to find the source window, the first line of the pasted text becomes also the note’s title.
If you are pasting a note that was inserted to the Clipboard from CintaNotes, the Title, Tags and date information will be copied from the original note in addition to the note content.
It is recommended that you use clipping instead of clipboard pasting as much as possible, because in the former case more data can be filled automatically for you.

http://cintanotes.com/help/

Personally, i use the middle mouse to paste any given note from CN.

Btw, Autocopy2 is a nice Firefox extension i didn't know about.  :Thmbsup:

Do like clipr since it grabs url at same time as selected text (but not needed if using CN):
https://addons.mozil...firefox/addon/clipr/