topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Daemon Tools  (Read 22491 times)

mukestar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Daemon Tools
« on: August 03, 2006, 10:19 PM »
Basic Info

App NameDaemon Tools
App URLhttp://www.daemon-tools.cc
App Version Reviewed4.03
Test System SpecsWindows XP pro, Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz,6 Gig Ram,SuperMicro X6DAL-G Motherboard,Nvidia Quadro Fx3400
Supported OSesWindows 9x,Windows NT4,Windows 2000,Windows XP ,Windows 2003, Vista,Windows XP64,Windows 2003 x64,Vista x64
Support MethodsForums
Upgrade PolicyN/A
Trial Version Available?Daemon Tools is free (but it isnt freeware)
Pricing SchemePro version £TBA

DT1.jpg

Intro:

Daemon Tools is a virtual CD/DVD-ROM emulator, it basically takes an image of a CD/DVD from your your Hard drive and mounts it as a Physical Drive

Who is this app designed for:

The app due to its emulation of copy protection schemes has gained popularity for people who wish to play from there CD backups and keep the original media safe. Aside from that its just a very good all purpose CD/DVD Tool.

The Good

Daemon Tools for me is integral to my Operating System. Having tons and tons of material spread over shiny discs i have to physically hunt for is just not the way i work anymore. Creating images of these discs and keeping them on a server is part of my workflow, with a couple of clicks i have a CD/DVD mounted without the delay of motors spinning up and slow seek times. Using VMWare is great with Daemon tools as i can download the latest Distro image and not have to waste a CD to install it. If i need to check out if the menu structure of a DVD is programmed correctly, i dont have to burn, i just mount. Anything i have to distribute on CD/DVD i can check it without having to burn discs.

The needs improvement section

The recent versions have got an annoying "WhenU SaveNow" searchbar installer , which is opt out as long as you remember to unselect it during installation

Why I think you should use this product

Because like all great apps you dont know it`s there, but if it isnt there you miss it.

How does it compare to similar apps

There are a couple of other virtual drives out there, Nero Drive mounter for one which comes with Nero Burning Rom , but everything else just seems clunky in comparison.

Conclusions

It does exactly what it says on the tin,  5 out of 5

Links to other reviews of this application
http://www.softpedia...m/DAEMON-Tools.shtml
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 07:29 PM by mukestar »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Daemon Tools
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 11:17 PM »
great mini-review..

one comment: can i request that people upload images to their posts rather than external linking, in order to eliminate images going offline?

you can attach images to posts and then include them in your post with the
[attach=1][/attach]
text.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 12:06 AM »
Absolutely great review! I too am a huge fan of daemon tools. Many other apps offer similar functionality, alcohol 120, nero, acronis true image, etc but none have the ease of use that this (coupled with the awxd tools shell extension ( http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=Download&id=90 ) make it the best solution for a virtual drive system.

Again, great review!

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 04:20 AM »
Daemon Tools is definitely a great app. Good review too! :)

- Oshyan

annorax

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 07:05 PM »
I agree, a nice review. Daemon Tools is an extremely handy tool. I personally hate having to keep sticking CDs in my computer to play certain games, it increases the wear and tear. Now when I get a game, I make an ISO and keep the original in a safe place. This doesn't work for all games, but for a good number, especially old ones.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 02:33 AM »
D-T is a great app, I use it for archiving as well. Really rocks when I need to machines on the museum where I work, I don't need to carry a case of CDs around but can just mount images from our server.

I'm still using 3.47, and I don't need the "piracy features" (ie: protection emulation). Any reason for me to upgrade to more recent version?

Also, you don't need D-T for VMware, since VMware can mount ISOs itself :)
- carpe noctem

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 03:46 AM »
D-T is a great app, I use it for archiving as well. Really rocks when I need to machines on the museum where I work, I don't need to carry a case of CDs around but can just mount images from our server.

I'm still using 3.47, and I don't need the "piracy features" (ie: protection emulation). Any reason for me to upgrade to more recent version?

Also, you don't need D-T for VMware, since VMware can mount ISOs itself :)

I was advised to stick with ver. 3.47 as the later versions have spyware  and no-one has told me of any great feature I am missing so why change!

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 03:48 AM »
Dunno about spyware in later versions - there's been some toolbar stuff which you probably don't want installed, but afaik you can choose not to install it. But really, if you don't need the piracy related features of daemon-tools, go for magicdisc or virtual clonedrive. I did so a couple of years ago, and haven't missed d-t :)
- carpe noctem

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 08:18 AM »
There isn't any spyware in the later versions. There are *options* in the installer that will offer to change your homepage and offer to install a toolbar to help the company make money off users of the free Lite version, but they are optional.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 09:39 AM »
There isn't any spyware in the later versions. There are *options* in the installer that will offer to change your homepage and offer to install a toolbar to help the company make money off users of the free Lite version, but they are optional.

I believe that the toolbar isn't optional in the free, lite version anymore.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 08:51 AM »
I believe that the toolbar isn't optional in the free, lite version anymore.

I'm running the latest version of Daemon Tools Lite & I was given the option to not install the toolbar. Either they have recently silently updated the installer or someone clicked through the installer too fast. :)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 01:41 PM »
I'm running the latest version of Daemon Tools Lite & I was given the option to not install the toolbar.

I see - I think I misinterpreted something I read on the website about the toolbar. 

My mistake.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 06:02 PM »
My mistake.

Okay. That's your one free mistake on DC.  ;D

Seriously, though....they could stand to simplify the text on their web site describing the way things work with their programs.