ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Daemon Tools

(1/3) > >>

mukestar:
Basic Info

App NameDaemon ToolsApp URLhttp://www.daemon-tools.ccApp Version Reviewed4.03Test System SpecsWindows XP pro, Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz,6 Gig Ram,SuperMicro X6DAL-G Motherboard,Nvidia Quadro Fx3400Supported OSesWindows 9x,Windows NT4,Windows 2000,Windows XP ,Windows 2003, Vista,Windows XP64,Windows 2003 x64,Vista x64Support MethodsForumsUpgrade PolicyN/ATrial Version Available?Daemon Tools is free (but it isnt freeware)Pricing SchemePro version £TBA

Intro:

Daemon Tools is a virtual CD/DVD-ROM emulator, it basically takes an image of a CD/DVD from your your Hard drive and mounts it as a Physical Drive

Who is this app designed for:

The app due to its emulation of copy protection schemes has gained popularity for people who wish to play from there CD backups and keep the original media safe. Aside from that its just a very good all purpose CD/DVD Tool.

The Good

Daemon Tools for me is integral to my Operating System. Having tons and tons of material spread over shiny discs i have to physically hunt for is just not the way i work anymore. Creating images of these discs and keeping them on a server is part of my workflow, with a couple of clicks i have a CD/DVD mounted without the delay of motors spinning up and slow seek times. Using VMWare is great with Daemon tools as i can download the latest Distro image and not have to waste a CD to install it. If i need to check out if the menu structure of a DVD is programmed correctly, i dont have to burn, i just mount. Anything i have to distribute on CD/DVD i can check it without having to burn discs.

The needs improvement section

The recent versions have got an annoying "WhenU SaveNow" searchbar installer , which is opt out as long as you remember to unselect it during installation

Why I think you should use this product

Because like all great apps you dont know it`s there, but if it isnt there you miss it.

How does it compare to similar apps

There are a couple of other virtual drives out there, Nero Drive mounter for one which comes with Nero Burning Rom , but everything else just seems clunky in comparison.

Conclusions

It does exactly what it says on the tin,  5 out of 5

Links to other reviews of this application
http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Virtual-CD-DVD-Rom/DAEMON-Tools.shtml

mouser:
great mini-review..

one comment: can i request that people upload images to their posts rather than external linking, in order to eliminate images going offline?

you can attach images to posts and then include them in your post with the

--- ---[attach=1][/attach] text.

Josh:
Absolutely great review! I too am a huge fan of daemon tools. Many other apps offer similar functionality, alcohol 120, nero, acronis true image, etc but none have the ease of use that this (coupled with the awxd tools shell extension ( http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=Download&id=90 ) make it the best solution for a virtual drive system.

Again, great review!

JavaJones:
Daemon Tools is definitely a great app. Good review too! :)

- Oshyan

annorax:
I agree, a nice review. Daemon Tools is an extremely handy tool. I personally hate having to keep sticking CDs in my computer to play certain games, it increases the wear and tear. Now when I get a game, I make an ISO and keep the original in a safe place. This doesn't work for all games, but for a good number, especially old ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version