topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ZenTao fill up the role of QA tool in Jira  (Read 5513 times)

reneet

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  • WarningUser is banned
ZenTao fill up the role of QA tool in Jira
« on: June 12, 2018, 04:07 AM »
I work for Nature Easy Soft, and one of our products is ZenTao. It is open source and for Scrum, so I am trying to let more people know about it. Below is what I wrote for promoting ZenTao. Thanks:)

Jira, in project management, is claimed to be the number one tool used by agile teams. Teams using Jira could easily extend planning, tracking, and reporting with other products of Atlassian, such as collaboration tool HipChat, project planning tool Confluence, and continuous integration tool Bamboo.

However, Jira falls short in test case management. If you have tried Jira, you would know what I am trying to say here. Jira is not an ALM exactly. It is not primarily for QA management given basically anything to be created and tracked via JIRA is considered an issue. As the definition of QA, history, and execution are not separate in JIRA, the rework just increases when QA Managers are scaling QA efforts. Another downside of Jira is its inability to update execution results at each step of the QA. Consequently, QA Managers have limited visibility of the QA progress.

ZenTao, as an Application Lifecycle Management(ALM), covers the whole process of software development project. Its main modules are Project Management, Product Management, and QA management, and integrates task management, story management and bug tracking. ZenTao
 underestands that every development team is unique and each of them follows a different set of workflows. Within ZenTao, teams could use extensions to add features they need particularly.

zentao ui.pngZenTao fill up the role of QA tool in Jira
image: My Dashboard in ZenTao

Using ZenTao to do QA management

The basic bug workflow in ZenTao is,

bugs submitted by testers => bugs resovled by developers => bugs accepted by testers => bugs closed by testers.

If a bug did not pass the acceptance, it could be activated for resolution again,

submit bugs by testers => solve bugs by developers => accept bugs by testers => activate bugs by testers =>solve bugs by developers => accept bugs by testers => close bugs by testers.

If a bug recurs after being closed,

submit bugs by testers => solve bugs by developers => accept bugs by testers => close bugs by testers => activate bugs by testers => solve bugs by developers => accept bugs by testers => close bugs by testers.

bug mgnt.pngZenTao fill up the role of QA tool in Jira
image: Report a bug in ZenTao

Once developers have asked for a test task, the test task will be generated for them. Then the developers need to relate test cases to it. If the test task needs to be completed by several developers, test cases should be assigned or claimed voluntarily. Go to QA->Build, and choose a build to be tested and click the button to link to test cases.

This is a short introduction of QA management in ZenTao. If you would like to know more or to try it for free, you can go to ZenTao official website.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:25 AM by reneet »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ZenTao fill up the role of QA tool in Jira
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 07:45 PM »
We clone an issue in Jira (Clone++) and change the task to 'sub-task' and add reproduction files/documentation to this sub-task (for auditing purposes). By doing this the time tracking is not affected, the intended dev and tester are notified (by mail) about any change and we can keep track of the changes in the code on a per-issue basis (because of the coupling with our Content Versioning System).

Granted, it may not be easy to change a workflow in Jira, but it isn't rocket science either and once you "grok" it, you can bend Jira very much to your will.

Jira does like to sell you their extra services, but still, there is more than enough free and commercially licensed information available that allows you to "grok" workflows in Jira. I can't help but think that you are in some way related to the product you recommend and it may be the best thing since sliced bread, but with a bit of study you can really do a lot(!) within Jira itself.

reneet

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  • WarningUser is banned
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 04:19 AM »
I can't help but think that you are in some way related to the product you recommend and it may be the best thing since sliced bread, but with a bit of study you can really do a lot(!) within Jira itself.

Yes, you caught me  :P 

I am trying to promote ZenTao internationally. Back in China, we have a lot of users who make good use of our open source version. So why not bring it to the overseas markets and see whether they like it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 06:21 AM »
I can't help but think that you are in some way related to the product you recommend and it may be the best thing since sliced bread, but with a bit of study you can really do a lot(!) within Jira itself.

I am trying to promote ZenTao internationally. Back in China, we have a lot of users who make good use of our open source version. So why not bring it to the overseas markets and see whether they like it.
Thank you.  We require those that are affiliated with software to clearly state that and the affiliatiin clearly or remove the post in question. Could you please edit the first post to show clearly that you are affiliated with the comlany, and to state what that affiliation is?

reneet

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  • WarningUser is banned
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 12:23 AM »

Thank you.  We require those that are affiliated with software to clearly state that and the affiliatiin clearly or remove the post in question. Could you please edit the first post to show clearly that you are affiliated with the comlany, and to state what that affiliation is?

I've changed and added a declaration part to the beginning of it. THank you :)