topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Automatic screenshot but only on Mouse Clicks?  (Read 7761 times)

PETERZU

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Automatic screenshot but only on Mouse Clicks?
« on: February 04, 2018, 01:09 PM »
I have been using Screenshot Captor for several months.  One feature I wish it had was an "automatic screenshot on each mouse click".

I like the automatic-timer screenshots option, but is based on a timer (4 sec) and stops after 10 screenshots.  I know I can change these options, but I would rather have something that waited for mouse-clicks, and stopped when I am done.

I was looking through the forum posts and found this:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=43776.msg408801#msg408801

It mentions a "capture on mouse click" option in the planning stage.  Is there an idea when this might be realized?

Thanks!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Automatic screenshot but only on Mouse Clicks?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 02:07 PM »
I *think* it doesnt do exactly what you want, but might be of interest anyways:
mouser's Automatic Screenshotter

EDIT// your link was related to Automatic Screenshotter (rather than Screenshot Captor), so you possibly know about it already.
Tom

PETERZU

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 10:08 PM »
Thanks Tom,

I did know of that utility, but was looking for something a little different.

I am looking for something that can be a better "PSR" (Problem Steps Recorder) than Windows provides.  I use PSR.exe, and then edit the resulting MHT file inside Microsoft Word.  Kludgy is the most apt description for the process.

I was thinking Screenshot Captor's automatic timer was similar to what I was looking for, except instead of time, base the screen-captures on Mouse Clicks.  All of the other functionality is already built-in.  This would allow me to start an install/process, capture it (no matter how long it took), and then paste all the screenshots into OneNote.

I know I can use PrintScreen for manual captures, but sometimes that can be forgotten in long processes.  Plus, I would like to encourage my co-workers on establishing better documentation for ourselves, so something easy would encourage them to use Screenshot Captor instead of PSR.  I also could purchase software like 'StepShot Manuals' but Screenshot Captor already has all the functionality, plus I am more use to it :-).

I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if this was on the roadmap.

Peter

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 10:32 PM »
I think this should be easy for me to add to Automatic Screenshotter, since I already have a mouse-hook dll that should do the hard lifting for me.. Thanks for the reminder.  Let me see if I can't get it added this week.

Note: I won't be adding this to Screenshot Captor, but to Automatic Screenshotter.  I think.

PETERZU

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 05:58 AM »
Thanks mouser.  I will check back periodically.

In the meantime, I wrote a simple powershell script to do what I wanted (see below).

EDIT:  in case someone did want to use this script, I added the full script with the Assemblies.  Otherwise it could only be run in PowerShell ISE. 

Code: PowerShell [Select]
  1. [void] [System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("System.Windows.Forms")
  2. [void] [System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("PresentationFramework")
  5. If( [bool](Get-Process "ScreenshotCaptor" -ea "SilentlyContinue") -eq $false ) {
  6.     [void][System.Windows.MessageBox]::Show( "Unable to find ScreenshotCaptor running.`nPlease start it, and re-run this script.", "Error - Unable to continue", "Ok", "Error" )
  7.     Exit 1
  8. }
  10. While( $true ) {
  11.     If( ([System.Windows.Input.Keyboard]::IsKeyDown([System.Windows.Input.Key]::LeftShift)) -and ([System.Windows.Input.Keyboard]::IsKeyDown([System.Windows.Input.Key]::LeftCtrl)) ) { Break }
  12.     If( [System.Windows.Forms.UserControl]::MouseButtons -ne "None" ) {
  13.       While( [System.Windows.Forms.UserControl]::MouseButtons -ne "None" ) { Start-Sleep -Milliseconds 100 }  ### Wait for the MOUSE UP event
  14.       [Windows.Forms.Sendkeys]::SendWait("{PrtSc}")
  15.     }
  16.     Start-Sleep -Milliseconds 100
  17. }

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:00 AM by PETERZU »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 08:08 AM »
Nice! Thanks for sharing that -- I'm sure someone else will find it useful  :up:

ZeDMIN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 04:46 AM »
+1 for the capture on mouse click.
I have exactly the same intention as PETERZU as in replacing PSR for installation recording.

I know i should be opening another thread for this, but as i was just testing Automatic Screenshotter i found a "bug":
It wont record Windows Explorer windows as he sees them as desktop. Is there any way to distinguish between desktop and Windows Explorer windows?
Running on Windows 10.

Greetings and thanks in advance!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 01:31 AM »
Let me look into the issue with capturing windows explorer windows.. I do remember this issue faintly..
And AutomaticScreenshotter is definitely an app I would like to do more work on, so I appreciate the feature requests.