topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: TPXonix - remake of the old Xonix game with MULTIPLAYER mode!  (Read 22349 times)

TPReal

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone!

Has any of you ever seen Xonix game with multiplayer mode? In TPXonix, up to four players can play together (locally, on one computer), as enemies or in teams. It can also be played in single mode, just like classic Xonix game.

Multiplayer mode allows a lot of new playing techniques. For example:
  • Blocking other players while they draw a trail - if you make your own trail in the place where they want to get back to terrain, they cannot do it.
  • Chasing players that have less lives. When two players collide, both of them lose a life, so it gives an advantage to the player with more lives.
  • Destroying other players' traps (U-shaped structures) by filling them. It is an easy way to earn some points, because it is easy to close an empty trap. On the other hand, when nobody makes traps, the game becomes really rough for all players...
  • Simultaneous conversions. If your opponent is just cutting off a really nice area and you are somewhere close to the area, you can try to make a short trail inside of this area, and finish it EXACTLY simultaneously with him finishing the main cut. Then, both your trails are borders of the cut-off area, so... no one gets points for it! (If you fail, the score just goes to your opponent.) But nobody said it is easy, especially when your rival is aware of what you do, and he or she REALLY doesn't want to let you spoil his or her work...
  • ...I am sure I haven't found out all the techniques. Try to find some more!

Game configuration screen:
xonix1.JPGTPXonix - remake of the old Xonix game with MULTIPLAYER mode!

In action:
xonix2.JPGTPXonix - remake of the old Xonix game with MULTIPLAYER mode!

(There is some number of colour schemes and one of them is randomly chosen at the beginning of each level, so don't be afraid if you don't like the colours in the screenshot above.)

There are no known bugs.

Full user's manual is included. No source code included.
I'd be very glad to know your oppinion on my game. You can get it here. Have fun!

TPXonix ver. 1.2
* TPXonix.rar (39.02 kB - downloaded 2580 times.)

Some libraries might be needed to run it: Libs

TPReal.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 03:29 AM by TPReal »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: TPXonix - remake of the old Xonix game with MULTIPLAYER mode!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 03:38 PM »
i have to say i really enjoyed this game, a big thumbs up for me. :up: :up: :up:

relipse

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I love Jesus. Coding in PHP primarily.
    • View Profile
    • See my GitHub
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 10:43 PM »
Absolutely great game!!!
now it just needs a multiplayer version
-Relipse
Ex C++Builder coder, current PHP coder, and noob Qt Coder

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 11:05 PM »
i think if you split the creatures into two groups you should still fill in the smaller area, killing the creatures who live there, instead of resulting in no filling.

TPReal

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 03:31 PM »
Well, I had thought about what you said, mouser, but finally I had decided not to do it like this, because the game would become too easy, especially on first few levels. It's not very difficult to make a big trap, and close it with two or more creatures in it, and then, if we used your rule, the game would be reduced to some rather large area with very few creatures. But with current rules, you have to make the cut-off appartment smaller in order to reach the limit. I think it is more honest, and also the game is longer and more interesting :)

TPReal.

relipse

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I love Jesus. Coding in PHP primarily.
    • View Profile
    • See my GitHub
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 07:27 PM »
what about a network-multiplayer version?
Ex C++Builder coder, current PHP coder, and noob Qt Coder

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 07:32 PM »
you know serveral other coders have written networked programs for the contest - martyjn specifically has an engine for playing games over the network (gamechat).  it would be so nice to see a collaboration on this.

TPReal

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 02:30 AM »
martyjn's games are all turn-based, whereas in Xonix a half of a second of delay in the communication process would be a problem. Of course I was thinking about writing some network version but now I don't know any good method to send data quick enough. I'm going to try some day, though.

Another idea is to code some AI, but that I think is going to be really hard. I'm planning it for the next version of Xonix, but now I'm rather busy and it for sure won't be ready by the end of the contest.

Any other ideas? All of them are going to be examined carefully :) as I really want to improve the game, just now I lack in time.

TPReal.