topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Notetaking software  (Read 17458 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Notetaking software
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 10:20 AM »
I am working with Clibu now.  I brought it up in Chrome and then pin to desktop, pin to taskbar, so it is easy-access. I like the architecture. It starts off being a replacement for Google Keep, clearly though it can also contend into possible usages where Evernote (or others like Rightnote) is involved now. I see you have a forum, I suggest a thread here. Generally, impressed, clean architecture, good features.  You can paste right in, a place where many fail (so I do not need the Web Clilpper, simply Abbyy Screenshot Reader and go go go.

Once it locked up while I was playing, no biggie if it does not happen on regular good-speed usage.

Can I link externally directly to a page?

Like that you have a vibrant forum.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Corkboard - there seems to be three goodies today.

lino.it - (the pic)
padlet ==  (wallwasher)
pin.com == (listhings, the main one I tried years back)

Spaaze, Memonic and Note.ly and NoteApp and some others seem to be dormant or going out or not really up to this level. There are many in the Whiteboard and Collaboration realm.  Few show you really good pictures (like the Padlet Gallery) even on their front page.

Big advantage - very portable (like Google Keep, over Windows sticky programs, which struggle for cloud portability.)
You can pin pages to the taskbar, and get to them easily even if on a foreign puter or on an iPad/Android.

And you can get fancy. Here I try to show my puter note page that I did yesterday and this AM I played with pic and video.  Some notes are on that page, which you can increase to full size.

I think Padlet is the worthy alternative. They have a Gallery.

One of the two seems to be becoming my "Visual" note method (complementary to Evernote and Wunderlist.)

Lino.it is quite good on navigating and sharing boards. I would say that the biggest weakness is RTF, that for a single note-box on a corkboard page you have to choose one font color and size.

All three, Linoit, Evernote and Wunderlist are effectively portable, at most needing the url and password from the password manager wherever I am.  Granted, Wunderlist will change (maybe Toodledo?) in some months.  Evernote has two ways (url or Evernote Windows parameter pseudo-url) to go directly to a specific page, which is nice when a program like lino.it wants to allow quick access to detail info.

Anyone using Padlet?

In the past I have tried to capture this visual effect with Pnotes or Notezilla, however now I lean back to native Corkboard.

For auxiliary visual bookmarking, Start.me and Zeef are in the lead.  While Linkman is always the industrial bookmark program that doubles as a research assistant and PIM.

I’ll see about sharing this page so you can go to the url, where notes will be updated, and maybe make complementary pages available.  This note is a bit cryptic to my personal quirks, but nothing is private confidential.  This is all with the free, professional is $3 a month, maybe double with tablet professional which would be likely unneeded.

Ok, try this:
http://linoit.com/us...Puter%20Utilities%20

Steven

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:53 AM by Steven Avery »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 10:14 AM »
Just a follow-up.   I have used LinoIt as a master note-taking facility.

First, I had to set my own Navigator system, with a special board that can go to all the other boards.  So I have about 50 boards set up, using my own pseudo-categories like Business, Bible, House Maintenance, Autos, General. So every board can be reached from my Navigator, and often I have a special sub-group (a Navigator Note)  of 5-10 items that have quick navigation capability.  The General stuff include a Today and a Calendar, which is two boards at this time.

Many strengths.

Pleasant to use
Quick Top-Down
You see related items quickly.
Markdown helps with hot urls.
Picture and Document capable.
Decent on iPad App, or simply go to web site on the iPad
No cost option is fine, Paid option is low $3 month.
Good interactivity between boards (copy over) and between users and groups (I have not used all that yet)

Here are the weaknesses that come to mind.

No Tabs or Folder Structure
Minimal RTF .. each note within a page is one size and color font.
Search  (not sure if much even exists in Professional)
Minimal Support  (but no glitches and no rumors)
Substantive Improvements Unlikely
Backup - no trivially simple way
Does not accept paste a picture from Clipboard (needs a file for pic).
No offline aspect.
Export is only to other Linoit boards

In Between
Pinning works well, but there could be more with grid snapping, stuff like that.

Still, I like it, Linoit helps my thinking to have related stuff all in front, rather than hidden on some other url somewhere. And it is pleasant to use.

To give an example, I might have a page with Active Forum discussions.  With links to various current notes, and short notes to myself about what is what, where.  Then various notes on the page for different types of discussions. The flexibility is good.  Sure I would like it better if there were more strengths and now weaknesses, but for now, it seems to be the best in town. 

Your thoughts welcome!

Steven

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:47 AM by Steven Avery »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 10:23 AM »
I have far too many licenses for similar programs that just aren't as usable as the multi-platform options: RightNote, TreeDBNotes, Ultra Recall and many others. I'm not entirely comfortable in switching to Microsoft, Google etc, but just working on everything is just so much easier and more efficient, though I will pay for Scrivener upgrades as they come along (hoping that the Android version will arrive some year or other).
I like multi-platform, Evernote does that, but it is not really (to me, so far) a Research Assistant, like I think  RightNote and Scrivener might be.

Can you explain a bit more of how you like the various products in multi-platform?  My multi is mostly Windows PC and iOS Tablet. Are they keeping your info in the cloud, Evernote style?  (Which does allow action when offline.) Is there a modest or large cost?  Which one do you like the most.

I might well return to RightNote for this element, its Windows implementation I always felt was crisp and solid. I find myself working on projects were some information is in my email correspondence, some is in Linkman bookmarks, and maybe a .doc or .rtf or .pdf file or two that can be  on disk or in the cloud, some may be in a Linkman or Academia.edu or Facebook conversation and other locales.  I need a master research and/or writing assistant.  (This is in addition to using Linoit as the visual traffic cop.)

(Then there are web programs.  Does Quip, Qippa, Clibu, Nimburs, the CMS WebAsyst or other online programs ever work effectively in this manner? This is another question.  I always think that the functionality will be reduced when you get to nitty-gritty stuff.)

Steven
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:30 AM by Steven Avery »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 02:29 PM »
(Then there are web programs.  Does Quip, Qippa, Clibu, Nimburs, the CMS WebAsyst or other online programs ever work effectively in this manner? This is another question.  I always think that the functionality will be reduced when you get to nitty-gritty stuff.)
I don't really know if they work effectively. I never really consider them because I need to be able to work when I don't have access to net; so local is essential for me. Cloud is OK if it is on top of local.

I might well return to RightNote for this element, its Windows implementation I always felt was crisp and solid.
Agreed, but I haven't been using it recently because it's not multi-platform. That won't bother you if you wouldn't use it on iOS. Very traditional approach and I like the spreadsheet and tables.

I like multi-platform, Evernote does that, but it is not really (to me, so far) a Research Assistant, like I think  RightNote and Scrivener might be.

Can you explain a bit more of how you like the various products in multi-platform?  My multi is mostly Windows PC and iOS Tablet. Are they keeping your info in the cloud, Evernote style?  (Which does allow action when offline.) Is there a modest or large cost?  Which one do you like the most.

I need a master research and/or writing assistant.  (This is in addition to using Linoit as the visual traffic cop.)
My usage is primarily Windows & Android, but also need iOS sometimes.
My views are largely the result of my experiences over the years and may not be entirely adjusted to now they are now. I am aware that you can (and people do) use both Evernote and OneNote to do everything, but it has never worked like that for me and neither are ideal.
I use Evernote for snippets. I find it much the best for webclipping (have tried OneNote & many others) but I find that Evernote works best. Have also used it for some writing, some classification & do use it for information storage. Especially stuff that isn't classified. The search seems pretty good. Works well on all platforms.

As Iain has frequently explained, you can use OneNote like that and I suppose that might work for me if I lived in it, though I doubt it. OneNote feels too heavy and cumbersome to do the stuff I do in Evernote.

But it is probably the best as a research assistant. You can put everything in it, and have it visually organised and available when you use it. But best if you are actually doing your work using OneNote (whereas you can use Evernote just as a data store). That's how I'm using it atm. Though I don't find it entirely comfortable (absolutely hate the strange limitations particularly tables). Probably doesn't work well unless you commit and use it a lot. I also use the Onetastic automations which are a great timesaver for some aspects. Have managed to set it up with a corkboard a la Scrivener, though huge amounts of time disappeared into designing the cards because of the strange limitations. I have not problem in using Evernote and OneNote together.

I think both can be made to work with Trello, which I'm about to try out more intensively.

I use a pen quite a lot in both Windows and Android and both OneNote and Evernote will work with it or with dictation.

I think I'm right in saying that they both offer local modes and encryption, but their advantages need the cloud so you have to be comfortable with their privacy and security for the information you put in.

Just my own experience. I know I haven't pushed Evernote as far as it can go, and that I'm only scratching the surface of OneNote; I've always given up before, but suspect I'll be sticking with it this time unless something better turns up.

I also use Google Keep a lot. Mostly because it is fast, reliable and easily accessible. But not really for research.

Costwise, I think that they can all be used perfectly well free, but have improvements available for cost. I have Office365 which gives me the other progs & a reasonable amount of storage. Am also subscribed to Evernote Pro, but don't think I would lose much reverting to free

I think the biggest problem with starting all these programs, apart from the surprisingly steep learning curve to get them rolling smoothly, is all the decision making around structuring the information and usage. In OneNote it is about what Notebooks, what sections and what you have on the pages, as well as all the entries on each page. Tags are an afterthought.

With Evernote, it is about Notebooks to an extent but a lot about tagging structures.

Other people must do it much better.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:39 PM by Dormouse »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2018, 09:21 AM »
> (This is in addition to using Linoit as the visual traffic cop.)

Protopage has user-sizable RTF notes, that you can lay out on a page, and it also has a tab structure., and direct urls to each tab. The editor is decent, create web link is there.  And other widgets can be on the same page, e.g. for simple bookmarks or RSS feeds.

The boxes are far more RTF configurable than Linoit (for which only the box itself,  can be configured for color of font, size of font and background color. Within the box, everything is fixed.)

For now, those are my two leaders for visual note-taking and visual quick-access. 

While I poke around with Evernote, Wunderlist and word processing documents for most of the rest.

(Sidenote: I do like using AirTable for a custom contact manager that can easily url documents, email and stuff.)

For me, the full page-with-boxes view is a primary consideration.  The Linoit metaphor has helped, and I think a port to Protopage (if I decide that way) would be a couple of hours.

Both programs seem solid on your choosing private, public, sharing.

Protopage is thought of as a start page, but I am quite impressed with its versatility.  I actually was looking at it as my RSS and podcast feed locale, where it "feels" more flexible and pleasant.  Then I noticed the RTF notes feature.

Linoit wants $3/month for a real full-blown search (a necessity over time.) Not sure if the Protopage situation will push me to something similar.  These fees I do not mind.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:34 AM by Steven Avery »