topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Images pasted into onenote are half size  (Read 32328 times)

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
Images pasted into onenote are half size
« on: November 20, 2017, 08:46 AM »
Somehow, most of the time when I do a capture (with automated border and drop shadow) and then paste the image into Onenote, my images are about 50% of the original screen as per the screenshot attached.
This makes some of the images hard to read.
Any ideas why this would be the case? I looked to see if I had an option to resample the size by 50% but I am not seeing it...
[ Invalid Attachment ]

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Images pasted into onenote are half size
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:07 AM »
This can be fixed going forward by changing the internally stored DPI of captured screenshots -- go to the "Image File Format" tab and change the dpi (try 96 if it's higher).
This should fix NEW screenshots but not older ones.

More info here: https://www.donation....msg357545#msg357545

Let me know if that helps.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Images pasted into OneNote - make it easier.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:45 AM »
@absoblogginlutely:
As a confirmed user of the excellent SC (ScreenshotCaptor) and the excellent ON (OneNote), I'd make 4 points here  - based on what you wrote - that may be of use:
  • If you are using the desktop version of ON and if you want your screen captures to go to a ON Notebook (on SharePoint, OneDrive or Desktop), then you might be going about image capture in a somewhat constipated manner.

• Using SC to save images into ON is a constipated method. That is because ON has its own excellent screen clipping tool (Hotkey = Win+Shift+S), which will save the selected area into the default (as set by the user) ON Notebook section. As soon as it does that, the clip image will be OCRed and indexed for for readable text (make sure that is set On in settings) and you are able to drag the image itself by the lower RH corner to a smaller/larger size. Similarly, if you paste an image into ON, you are able to drag the image to a smaller/larger size.

• That clip also goes to the Clipboard. If you have also installed @mouser's excellent CHS (Clipboard Help & Spell), then you may have some kind of image editing & management Nirvana within reach. This requires you to be using ON, CHS, SC, and something like Irfanview. For a detailed explanation, refer: Re: Modify your screen capture/management tools for optimum efficiency of use.

• If you are usually image-clipping selected areas of Excel tables, then consider inserting the Excel file into ON, by saving it as a table. It appears as a table in ON (uses OLE - Object Linking and Embedding). You can get a relevant section of the spreadsheet to show as a ON table, which, if you click it, will start you into editing the embedded Excel file. Note that this is a copy of the original Excel file you were working with, but it can be very handy having it in a ON Notebook as other users can share and dynamically access and update it collaboratively. For more info on ON usage, refer: Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

My apologies if this seems confusing. It actually works really well and entails minimal-efforts working, but some people might find it confusing initially. It took  me a while to work it out, but it now seems obvious to me. It will probably be worth making the effort to understand it though - step-by-step - as it could save you a mountain of effort and time, over time. It's really mostly about the simplification of work processes and improvement of ergonomics.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 01:56 AM by IainB »

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 12:00 PM »
Thought I had replied on this....
I use SC so that I get the fancy border and shading around my images to get an image that stands out in a document. This way an image like Screenshot - 2_28_2018 , 12_49_34 PM.pngImages pasted into onenote are half size doesn't bleed and appear like Screenshot - 2_28_2018 , 12_51_08 PM.pngImages pasted into onenote are half size which can bleed into the surrounding background.

My DPI was originally set to 96. I set it to 75 and the images are still showing up tiny in Onenote.
Attachment3 shows a forum post with Onenote's screencap of the image.
Screenshot - 2_28_2018 , 12_57_46 PM.pngImages pasted into onenote are half size

I typically just screencap all my images  to files and then once I have captured all the images I then drag and drop them into Onenote where they all show up nicely formatted and in the correct order (as long as my file names are sorted correctly)

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 09:24 AM »
any other ideas/suggestions please?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 09:34 AM »
My DPI was originally set to 96. I set it to 75 and the images are still showing up tiny in Onenote.
-absoblogginlutely (February 28, 2018, 12:00 PM)
was there no change at all?
try going the other direction: e.g. 140dpi

maybe even take a screenshot @96dpi
then change the dpi setting and take same shot again -- paste both into onenote and see what exactly the difference is, if any.
If none, you've at least completely ruled out that aspect.
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 09:48 AM »
I might be missing something here, but, if one pastes or clips an image to OneNote, then the image is draggable in size (grip via bottom RH corner)/ How it appears in OneNote is entirely controlled by the user.
The special effects of ScreenshotCaptor are a side-issue, and, again, controlled by the user.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 10:09 AM »
^yeah, I guess unless the size of the images pasted in OneNote has changed recently, this is probably a OneNote thing. If pasting often I can see though why someone would prefer it pasted 'just right', as opposed to needing dragging to resize.
Tom

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 10:12 AM »
Here is my screenshots pasted into Onenote at 96 and 30 dpi for the top and bottom tomos' capture from this website, along with a screenshot of the entire website that was pasted into onenote with a ctrl-v after the screen was captured.As you can see the full page image is tiny compared to the small part of the screen that was captured.
Screenshot - 3_20_2018 , 11_03_42 AM.pngImages pasted into onenote are half size

The webpage image looks the right size in Screenshotcaptor though and is totally readable.

Yes I can resize my images in Onenote, but when I have to do that for 50 images or more that gets pretty time consuming.

If I use the screen clipping tool then the image shows up at the correct size in onenote but obviously does not have the border and shadow or any other special effects that I might want to add such as annotating etc.

I'll see if I can find any resources on Onenote for this but I was hoping it was something I could fix in SC.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 10:39 AM »
Here is my screenshots pasted into Onenote at 96 and 30 dpi for the top and bottom tomos' capture from this website, along with a screenshot of the entire website that was pasted into onenote with a ctrl-v after the screen was captured.As you can see the full page image is tiny compared to the small part of the screen that was captured.
-absoblogginlutely (March 20, 2018, 10:12 AM)

so OneNote ignores dpi and auto-resizes the pasted image depending on the size of it...
Tom

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 11:06 AM »
yep - it does....grrrrr
https://answers.micr...d8-b46c-0b29ebe926b7
You can right click and restore images to original size or right click-g. Interesting that the select multiple images/ right-click g will resize all images to original size (which is what I want) but the right click - restore images will only do one image.

Using the onetastic addin I can select all images and then right-click g to get them all to resize.

I'm pretty happy now ;-)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 01:55 PM »
@absoblogginlutely: ^^ Ahh, the penny just dropped. I think I understand a bit better now.

You are first copying the small images from the LHS Thumbnail Panel in SC and then pasting them into ON (OneNote) - yes?

IF you do that, then the as-pasted image will always/usually be smaller in ON, and will require re-sizing (making bigger)  - i.e., after it has been pasted into ON.

However, IF you click on and copy the image itself in the SC workspace, then it will paste as normal (default/correct size) into ON. Try it and see for yourself.

I rarely copy/paste from SC, and had to do it just now when trying to replicate the problem you seemed to be having.

I nowadays usually hold any/all the images I want to edit in SC as .PNG images in CHS (ClipboardHelp&Spell), and I view them there either in the CHS Clip Image tab or via irfanview (set as the default viewer in CHS) and edit them in SC (set as the default editor in CHS).
So the images are stored and edited in the images folder maintained by CHS, which folder can automatically be date-related.

The only problem I usually have there is with the appearance of some of the proprietary SC edited artefacts/FX in those edited .PNG images when pasted into ON.
The problem and a workaround for that are illustrated in the example below:
(Click to enlarge image.)
21_999x450_32CADDBD.pngImages pasted into onenote are half size

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 02:17 PM »
Thanks Ian - Most of the time I don't actually touch Screenshot Captor - I just use my hotkey to select the region, select to onenote and press ctrl-c
That should then paste the selected region plus my border shadows into onenote at the full size (but onenote resizes).
If I select my full web page image (not from the thumbnails) and then paste into onenote it still puts it half size.
It's weird as the Onenote screen is wide enough to fit the image without scrolling AND the part of onenote for the text is also wide enough for the screen -
Screenshot below shows the image when pasted purely by pressing ctrl-v in onenote and then the same image pasted again and then "right click/g"'ed

Screenshot - 3_20_2018 , 3_12_30 PM.pngImages pasted into onenote are half size

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 05:33 PM »
$absoblogginlutely: Thanks for that feedback. Now I understand a bit more about the problem.

When I use SC in the way you describe, the captured image pastes perfectly into ON. So I don't experience the problem as you do and cannot replicate it.
I am using ON 2016.

However, after doing some searching, I discovered that the problem you describe seems to be longstanding, and common. For example:
How can we improve OneNote for Windows?
? OneNote for Windows & Windows phone

Keep image size when pasting an image
Keep image size when pasting an image to a notebook. Right now we have to right-click and "restore to original size" on every image.
Darryl shared this idea  ·  Mar 21, 2017  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…
Jeff Roback commented  ·  September 19, 2017 2:26 PM  ·  Flag as inappropriate
I agree.... I do a lot of screenshots in my work and having to click restore to original size for every single one is making me consider using another program for notes after over 10 years in onenote!
Brian Cargnelli commented  ·  March 24, 2017 2:34 PM  ·  Flag as inappropriate
I use OneNote in my photography classes to upload completed projects. I ask students to resize their images to 800X800 at 72 DPI resolution and have created a table with one column and multiple rows to paste these images into. However the images all get resized smaller and as the post says, I have to right click each one and restore to original size. This small problem actually is very frustrating as if the student has 20 images for review then that is 20 times I have to do this for this one student, times 30-40 in each class.
Copied from: Keep image size when pasting an image - Welcome to OneNote and Sticky Notes Suggestion Portal! - <https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/327186-onenote-for-windows-windows-phone/suggestions/18676150-keep-image-size-when-pasting-an-image>

I came across this possible solution:
(The text is copied into the spoiler below the image.)
21_478x434_24C3A6FB.png

Spoiler
Resetting the paste formatting defaults:
1. Copy several words to clipboard: e.g., This is a test
   - Right-click somewhere on a OneNote page.
   - Under Paste Options, select the first icon --> Keep Source Formatting (K).
   - This pastes the clipboard contents to OneNote (happens when you select Keep Source Formatting (K). ).

This will paste: This is a test
2. Select the little drop-down menu that appears next to the pasted text:

3. Select "Set as Default Paste":

4. Try to copy/paste an image again.
     (The as-copied formatting should persist on pasting, without resizing.)
      Copied from: https://social.techn...es?forum=officeitpro

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:42 PM by IainB »

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 05:53 AM »
Ian - this works!!!!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to research and find this. It will make my workflow so much more efficient.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Nice work, IainB  :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 01:30 PM »
Yeah, well done—nice one!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 02:34 PM »
@absoblogginlutely:
Ian - this works!!!!!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to research and find this. It will make my workflow so much more efficient.
-absoblogginlutely (March 21, 2018, 05:53 AM)
You are most welcome. I am pleased to have learned something new about ON and that it works as a good fix for you - had in fact already been fixed (if it was ever a bug!?) by Microsoft, ages ago, and was right there hidden in plain sight under our noses - but I only became suspicious that I was missing something when I read the comments:
  • so OneNote ignores dpi and auto-resizes the pasted image depending on the size of it...
  • yep - it does....grrrrr
    <https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_other/make-onenote-not-resize-images-on-paste/a9d0169e-3abf-4cd8-b46c-0b29ebe926b7>
    -absoblogginlutely (March 20, 2018, 11:06 AM)
- because:
  • (a) I felt pretty sure that ON did not mess about with image size/resolution - though you can adjust image-pasting resolution/quality in other MS Office 2016 products under Options --> Advanced (but just not in ON).
  • (b) The link was to an old problem post about ON 2010, dated December 7, 2011, and there has been a great deal of of improvement made to ON since then and we are at MS Office 2016 now.

This has reminded me to post the details of this "fix" to this non-existent problem on the website above where people seemed to be still (March 2018) experiencing the same ON image resizing "problem" as I mentioned above in this thread.
There's lots of undocumented, or poorly-documented clever stuff in ON, which I try to document/collect in the Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks discussion thread, so I have cross-posted this "fix" there also.

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 11:20 AM »
So this morning - I'm back to half size onenotes again and the trick about pasting text as rich text, then selecting that as the default is no longer working. However the select all images G trick works which is good enough for me (for now) at least.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 12:42 AM »
@absoblogginlutely: That doesn't sound right. Once set, it should be persistent. Something may have been changed to undo that setting.
What version of ON are you on?
Go to File --> Account --> About
e,g,  Version 1802 {Build 9029.2253 Click-to-Run)
Force it to do an update check.
If it updates, then repeat the "Set as default paste" thing.

Also, just as an experiment, try setting the default to "paste as plain text", then sett it to "paste as RTF" again. See if that sticks.

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 05:01 PM »
Thanks Ian - I'm running 1708 build 8431.2236 Click to Run which unfortunately is the Semi Annual channel.
Office updates states this is the latest version which I know is not right based on my experience and your post above ;-)

Setting to plain text and then RTF doesn't save the settings either. Frustrating when it worked for a couple of days and no longer working. I'll check on a couple of other machines in the office to see if they have the same problem.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 05:18 PM »
@absoblogginlutely: Been a bit tied up, but today got back on this problem.
Two relevant posts in a "dead" Google Group discussion.
  • The first one is worth trying to see if it makes any difference (I had mentioned it above, but thought it probably unnecessary. I may have been wrong.)
  • The second is still apparently alive (I haven't tried it, but Wayback would also have it anyway), but I don't know whether it could do the trick. Suggest you download the fix, check it for viruses, and, if it is OK, then run it.
[email protected]   
18/06/2015
Hey Todd!
I've had the exact same issue as you had and i found the cause of the problem.

The problem lies within your Microsoft Office Setup!
1. Open File->Office options->advanced
2. Locate the section "Cut, copy, paste"
3. Make sure all "cut, copy, paste" settings are set to (Keep source formatting)

After I did this One Note no longer f#ck#d up formatting ;)

If you have continued to work with OneNote I have created a little addin that pastes rich-text into OneNote 2016 keeping the format:

https://github.com/S...uelOConnor/RichPaste

Let us know how you get on, please.

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 09:19 AM »
Bumping this thread with more info. I have snaggit installed on my machine too as it allows me to autonumber my bullet points as I click which Screenshot doesn't.
Interestingly I can screen clip the same screen to Snaggit and then paste into Onenote with no problems.
Windows Snipping tool has the same issue interestingly enough.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 09:39 PM »
@absoblogginlutely: Did you try the suggested fix for this as mentioned in the quote from Google Groups? What was the outcome?

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 07:20 AM »
Hi Ian - I missed the addin suggestion. Installed it just now and unfortunately nothing happens when I hit the paste button.
The option to always paste with formatting is not actually there.

Today I checked a paste from Screenshotcaptor and when I right click and choose paste, I only have paste as picture.
When I paste from Snagit I get the option to keep formatting, merge formatting or paste picture - the default to keep source formatting pastes in the normal image.

Is it the way the image is being copied into the clipboard?