topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Automated ftp uploads  (Read 3546 times)

p3aseismic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Automated ftp uploads
« on: August 29, 2017, 02:49 PM »
Just installed SC and looking for some hints within the menu options to set up an ftp upload. I want to set up an auto routine which will do a full screen capture every five minutes and upload that file automatically to an ftp server. Nothing jumps out at me so far. All suggestions welcome.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Automated ftp uploads
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 03:07 PM »
Seems like you'd want Automatic Screenshotter instead of Screenshot Captor.  However, I've never used it, so I can't say what it has in terms of automated ftp upload- perhaps if it's not there, Mouser would be willing to put it there.

Even without that, however, there are several programs that do automated uploads on directory changes, so you could monitor the location where the screenshots are stored, and use one of those to do the automated uploads.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 03:45 PM »
I haven't tried these, but in the options dialog there are a couple of items that should work together to get what you want:

1) in "Basic Capturing | Capture Options" you can specify Auto Capture Timer Options to take a screen shot every 5 minutes
2) in "Basic Capturing | Post-Capture Options" you can specify commands to run after a capture in the "Post Capture Commandline Tools to Run" area; put your FTP command in there.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:25 AM »
Mwb's solution will work, but Wraith's suggestion would be what I would go for: Use Automatic Screenshotter and then a standalone tool that monitors a directory and automatically ftp's files from that directory to your destination.  I think that would offer the most flexibility and lowest impact on your pc.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Mwb's solution will work, but Wraith's suggestion would be what I would go for: Use Automatic Screenshotter and then a standalone tool that monitors a directory and automatically ftp's files from that directory to your destination.  I think that would offer the most flexibility and lowest impact on your pc.

I'd done one before in the past (AutoFTP); maybe I can try to re-write it.  But it won't be very soon, so I'd try to utilize one of the ones out there.  I'd used Directory Monitor, but apparently they've changed that app quite a bit.  A quick google brought up the following responses:

http://watchdirectory.net/
http://venussoftcorp...05/thefolderspy.html
http://leelusoft.blo...tch-4-folder-23.html

p3aseismic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 02:48 PM »
Thank you mwb and wraith for your suggestions and thank you mouser for your expert recommendation. I have Screenshotter installed and running. I like its basic, no nonsense approach. My task is to find a low cost/free directory watcher to work with it. Watch Directory works well but it's too pricey. Others are somewhat high end. The search continues.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 01:35 AM »
Let us know what you find -- there has to be a good free one.
I actually have a reasonable fire watcher tool that I wrote and never released.. Maybe with a bit of work it could be improved with some ftp and other abilities..

p3aseismic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 12:19 PM »
My old programme, "myDesktop Online" has come good on me. It has been monitoring and ftp'ing reliably for 6 days. The ftp function uploads seismograph images, in near realtime, to the web from my seismometer, which resides with me on the beautiful Mediterranean island of Cyprus (itself in a very active seismic zone). Today we got great captures of the M8.1 Mexico Pacific Coast event (12300km distant) - and my followers were delighted to be able to track its seismic data on the web. At some point 'old (not so) faithful' will have to go but right now, thankfully, it is buying me a little time.