topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Deadlight free on GOG for the next 2 days  (Read 5386 times)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Deadlight free on GOG for the next 2 days
« on: August 14, 2017, 12:20 PM »
Free on GOG for the next 43 hours or so: Deadlight.  Some sort of zombie game.

https://www.gog.com/...dlight_directors_cut

There's also a "Pinata" sale going on.  I think you get random offers when you 'hit the pinata'.  Or something.  I haven't bothered to figure it out yet.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Deadlight free on GOG for the next 2 days
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 12:25 PM »
There's also a "Pinata" sale going on.  I think you get random offers when you 'hit the pinata'.  Or something.  I haven't bothered to figure it out yet.

The Pinata sale is different than i thought.  You buy a pinata for $3 and that gets you a mystery game that sells normally on GOG for at least $6.  But you don't know which game it'll be when you cough up the $3.

https://support.gog....9-Pinata-Madness-FAQ

I'm not a big fan of this kind of thing, but maybe some people find it fun.

edit:  I should also mention that they have a big, regular sale going on, too.  It's not just the pinata gimmick.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:34 PM by mwb1100 »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 12:26 PM »
I hate when they offer stuff I already have LOL :)  But thanks for posting!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 02:45 PM »
Thanks!

The Pinata thing is weird. I mean, I understand how or why some people would find it appealing. You could get a nice $45 game for $3. But you could also get a game you have absolutely no interest in and will never play or use.

But it's basically gambling and I'm generally averse to that. I just don't have a lot of disposable income for things like that. Then again, if I won the lottery I would have plenty of money to spend on gambling! :P

And it seems some people are getting games that are the same price as the pinata, or just a few cents more. Or in (at least) one case, a game would have been a cent cheaper to buy outright than buying the pinata, due to the sales price ($2.99 vs. $3) on the game.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:09 PM by Deozaan »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 04:39 PM »
Yeah - that's why I don't go for the pinata kind of thing thing myself.  If you want to take a flyer for $3 there's not much harm, but I'm not usually a fan of buying a mystery item (or for paying for a pre-release).

You have to wonder a little about the guy a couple posts down from the one you linked to who complained that of his 4 pinatas, none resulted in a game he wanted and all of those games were on sale for less than the cost of the pinata.

There's that saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results... (I suppose he could have bought all 4 pinatas at once, but why would someone do that if they cared about the money?).

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 11:21 PM »
In Dutch movie theaters you used to have a somewhat similar offer as the pinata on GOG. Every week on Wednesday after 22:00 there was a movie showing.That movie was not officially out yet. You paid half price for admittance, but they wouldn't tell you anything about the movie you were about to see.

That showing time was also not randomly chosen. Wednesday evenings are usually occupied by (international) soccer matches, so "soccer widows" and people without any interest for soccer would go. Usually that is middle class people. Loved the concept, enjoyed many movies that way. In all those years, I only walked out of one movie before it finished. If you must know:
Spoiler
The Talented Mr. Ripley

If I had a credit card, I would not mind playing the pinata at GOG. 3 USD for a bit of 'prentertainment' shouldn't be breaking the bank. And if you don't like it, there is always the option to gift it to friends/family (who would be entertained by these). Heck, you might even be pleasantly surprised with what you get.

Fully realizing that games are not like movies (in how you "consume" them), I think that the concept behind the pinata concept works for both forms of entertainment. Still, I might be weird that way. 

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 03:28 AM »
And if you don't like it, there is always the option to gift it to friends/family (who would be entertained by these).

The Pinata FAQ says that the pinatas unlock directly to your account. So no gifting if you don't like it. :(

The only exception is that if you already own all the games that can be found inside a pinata, then you will receive a giftable pinata.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 10:04 AM »
Ah, ok...my bad, didn't went to GOG to read anything about the pinata. Just remembered the positive feelings I got from a somewhat similar concept in the Netherlands, that's all.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 03:40 PM »
I think that's part of the dismay this time around. GOG have done the pinata thing before and people are saying that last time you could gift them if you wanted to.