topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The Ghost Process [SOLVED]  (Read 15211 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Ghost Process [SOLVED]
« on: August 13, 2017, 11:33 AM »
This morning one of my monitors "kaputt".
I think i Have installed a multi desktop control software (perhaps a free one of Microsoft...) , besides the control of my six monitors with the graphic cards (two external and one included in the z170k asus motherboard. The graphical cards are two Asus R7 240 .
When I disconnect the broken monitor all change in the 5 rest.

I have to configurate again.

I think was an utility to configurate the five monitors now. I don't remember, but I will try configurating in the OS. (windows 8.1)

My questions are two :

1. Determine the program to change desktops. I don't know where is !. It affects me because when I try to reubicate icons sometimes appear in the bottom of the screen "three points" for selecting desktops.

So some of my icons have dissapeared !!!!!!.

edited 14.08.2017.13.39 hours : I have this problem before the monitor is broken. It's a ghost process I try to determine without success until this moment.  You can see a screenshot of the aspect of the three points I think are for controlling virtual desktops.

2. Determine how can i reorganize the rest of monitors. (this is solved at the present time 14.08.2017.13.38 hours....)(right click-personalyze-monitors-etc....)

Best Regards
 :-*

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:43 AM by Contro »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Ghost Process
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:43 PM »
The question 2 I try experimenting and remembering. After documenting once again.
Righ botton mouse - personalyze- Screens (i have the windows 8.1 spanish version, in my version put "pantalla" - Change screens configuration
In this step i can redistribute the position of any screen.

The first point I suppose is relate to a resident process somewhere.
IN the past I haven't solved, so i am going to try now hard.

I have to determine the program and i am missing something....

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:11 PM »
These are the point that appear representing the desktops in one of my monitors.

I don't know how to change between the desktops. Sometimes i change dragging icons, but really I don't know how i am doing.

Do you know this program ?

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 03:52 PM »
With the task administrator i am revising the processes.
I am closing several but I don't detect the ghost program.
I close rainmeter.exe and others.
 :-[

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 04:32 PM »
I am trying to document and continue closing programs.

In my memory the program may be : Desktops   --- https://technet.micr...ernals/bb842062.aspx      Systernals Suite            
But where is the process ?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 04:58 PM »
From Sysinternals you can use 'Process Explorer' to get a real-time overview of running processes and you can use 'Process Monitor' to capture an in-depth view of what processes do on your system. To do that you must use/create filtering rules. How you do this, you can find out on the web. These results you can store for later use.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 04:27 AM »
I know Shades and I am using.
I am going to change my keyboard now and make now proofs just because if is that program the suspicion I have to try the shortcuts.

I have a logitech keyboard K 290.
With this keyboard I think I have certain problems with some shortkeys in my system.

Best Regards

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 05:22 AM »
Can you please explain a bit more clear on what you try to achieve?

- Arrange your monitors within Windows?
- Make 'invisible' windows visible again after disconnecting the 6th monitor?
- Find an unknown tool that is hiding some of your windows?
- Solve an 'issue' with hotkeys that start applications on the no longer available 6th monitor?

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 06:49 AM »
Difficult ! .
I have closed almost any resident, but the three points remain when I call.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 06:51 AM »

- Solve an 'issue' with hotkeys that start applications on the no longer available 6th monitor?

At the present moment trying to identify the resident process that invokes the three points screen when with my mouse lef click touch the left border of one of my monitors.

Other problem I have is how to control the three points or desktops. I think may be the function of my keyboard Logitech K290

I continue trying

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 06:52 AM »
I will adjunt or put a list of the residential remaining programs and even of the services to be analyzed.

The program must be somewhere !!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:12 AM by Contro »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 07:25 AM »
I have change the keyboard by a logitech K120 , but I don't get any way to access to the points....

it's terrible !

It's not a process must be a service !
 :(

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 08:26 AM »

If you look at his screenshot above, there are three dots at the bottom, right above the taskbar.  He doesn't know what these are, and they are putting functionality on his machine that he doesn't know how to use.  He just wants to find the process, and kill it.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 09:20 AM »

If you look at his screenshot above, there are three dots at the bottom, right above the taskbar.  He doesn't know what these are, and they are putting functionality on his machine that he doesn't know how to use.  He just wants to find the process, and kill it.
O.K.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 09:36 AM »
I am preparing to kill , one by one, any process and service I found. If not dissapear the three point I will try in safe mode.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 09:42 AM »
In Process Explorer you have a symbol on top that looks like what you see when you look through the visor of a rifle...the (infamous) cross-hair.

You can drag this symbol over the window that you have a problem with and when you release the mouse button, the process behind this window is selected in Process Explorer. That should make the "hunt" much easier.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 11:14 AM »
In Process Explorer you have a symbol on top that looks like what you see when you look through the visor of a rifle...the (infamous) cross-hair.

You can drag this symbol over the window that you have a problem with and when you release the mouse button, the process behind this window is selected in Process Explorer. That should make the "hunt" much easier.

That *might* work.  But as this is not a windowed process, it might not.  I had a similar problem of something showing up on my desktop, and it didn't work.  Just an FYI.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 11:45 AM »
Aren't these dots a feature of the video card driver?, possibly enabled by default? these manufacturers often throw in 'unexpected features' with minor updates, but then it should be possible to disable the feature quite easily. You probably won't find that (driver)process using process explorer, IMHO

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 12:36 PM »
Aren't these dots a feature of the video card driver?, possibly enabled by default? these manufacturers often throw in 'unexpected features' with minor updates, but then it should be possible to disable the feature quite easily. You probably won't find that (driver)process using process explorer, IMHO

They could be.  I guess it depends on what video card he has, and it's not obvious, which is the reason he's asking.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 12:52 PM »

They could be.  I guess it depends on what video card he has, and it's not obvious, which is the reason he's asking.
As long as I can remember the three or more point are for a configurable desktops program. I think is from Microsoft.

Desktops from Microsoft systernals may be. It is a free.

I think I will try this.

I think this problem I have long back ago is prior to the adquisition of the two new Asus Radeon AMD R7 240 graphics cards.

It's not sure of course.

I have closed almost possible , even all entries about Nvidia running, but the three points remains.

I think , really think in my bad memory, is an utility from systernals.

I am preparing to reiniate in safe mode. If give no good results I Think i may initiate consults in an external forum.

An when i have the answer i will put here.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 01:39 PM »
Don't seems to be desktops.exe from systernals. Why ? the three points only apply to the first desktop of the four desktops from systernals app.

A hidden process ?
I have no viruses at the present moment.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:55 PM by Contro »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 04:20 PM »
Don't seems to be desktops.exe from systernals. Why ? the three points only apply to the first desktop of the four desktops from systernals app.

So you have 3 virtual desktops controlled by some unknown software (that puts the 3 dots at the bottom of the screen to select the active desktop) and one of those desktops is another set of four desktops provided by the SysInternals desktops.exe app?

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 12:17 AM »

So you have 3 virtual desktops controlled by some unknown software (that puts the 3 dots at the bottom of the screen to select the active desktop) and one of those desktops is another set of four desktops provided by the SysInternals desktops.exe app?
try to forget that and concentrate in determining the ghost process or service.

I have three actions running :

1. New consultations in other forums trying to determine the ghost process .

Perhaps any person that uses that program and knows about the three points and the way to put in the screen...

2. I carry yesterday the broken monitor. Have no solution. Don't receive energy . The technical service recommend substitution.

3. I am searching for alternatives to virtual dimension or systernals desktops. I have uninstalled Dexpot in my system. But my problem remains.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 02:40 AM »
Broken monitors:
The electronics in the section of your monitor that converts power from your national power grid to the voltages that the screen needs can break. Usually it is one or more capacitors that have "plopped". Something which happens sooner or later. Depending on the quality of these capacitors. Replacement of such capacitors is easy if you know how to (de-)solder components.

Plopped capacitors is the most common cause of failing monitors. The parts that convert the 220V grid power to the 5V/12V that the parts in your monitor need follows next as common cause of failure. Also rather easily fixed, but it helps if you have diagnostic equipment for electronics at hand, besides knowing how these sections work. This section is the most likely section that has one or more "burned up" components. this is something you usually can smell. Repair of that is tricky. it usually ain't difficult, but finding all components that have been damaged as a consequence of the actual burned up components, that is the tricky part.

Most people simply replace a monitor when that happens. Easier and something new and shiny to play with.

Uninstalling Dexpot"
Did you also reboot your computer afterwards or you just uninstalled? Graphical drivers use software that hooks in the hardware at low levels. Which is why you better do a full reboot when installing or uninstalling anything related to software that manipulates the way how Windows is able to show any kind of graphics on your screens in the first place.

Graphic drivers have improved significantly over the years, but it often is still better to make Windows go through a full reboot. 

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 03:42 AM »
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but you mention that your computer has two Asus R7 240 AMD/Radeon graphics adapters and that you are also using the motherboard's integrated graphics (Intel).  However, your process list file show a bunch of NVIDIA processes.  As others have noted, graphics driver packages often bundle a ton of functionality, including virtual desktop features.  you might wnat to consider ununstalling the NVIDIA stuff since you don't have an NVIDA adapter anyway.