topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Possibility to chain searches?  (Read 3928 times)

alexatwork

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Possibility to chain searches?
« on: August 11, 2017, 07:48 AM »
Hello,

after getting familiar with FARR I am impressed by its functionality and want to replace other search or launch software with it. One feature that I have not found yet is the possibility to chain searches.

As an example: I would like to edit the "todo.txt" file with "notepad2". Typing "no" and FARR finds "notepad2" as the first hit. Now I would like to open "todo.txt" using "notepad2". So for example by pressing TAB I get the full path to "notepad2.exe" but cannot search any further for the "todo.txt" file which is located in a different directory.

So ideally I am looking for something where you search the application, then press a key which stores the application and starts a second search for the command line that is feed to the application, then type the search for the file, then select and hit enter so that the app is called with the complete path to the file in the second search.

Is this feasible in FARR or already implemented and I am just overlooking something?

Alex

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Possibility to chain searches?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:04 AM »
There is no way to do exactly that, BUT you can create an alias that will open the current file in a specific program.
So you could create an alias triggered on np, and after you find todo.txt you would add like "+np" and hit enter and it would open todo.txt in notepad.

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 02:10 AM »
maybe some alternatives

You could drag the executable to the toolbar, which adds an icon, then search for the file, drag drop the file onto the added icon. The icons can be reused ;-)

If you do it the other way around, so first find the file, then select a program to open it, there are several alternatives on this forum.

Open with is also available via right click on the file, select the first option: shell context menu.., then select open with.

wjamoe

alexatwork

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 10:13 AM »
Thank you for the hints. I will try both methods, an alias and also dragging the most used programs onto the toolbar. Still, if this is in the future possible to chain searches this would be quite helpful to use FARR for many tasks which are quite slow using Windows Explorer.

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 01:45 PM »
There is an alias setup that enables you to do a similar thing.
ie, you find the file and append . to the search string and the result list is replaced with a menu of programs to run on the file.
it should be configurable per filename extension etc, and you need to play a little with FARR aliases.

Here is the link to the original thread, it has all the details:
https://www.donation....msg394054#msg394054
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.