topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Steam Summer Sale 2017 - June 22 through July 5  (Read 5305 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Steam Summer Sale 2017 - June 22 through July 5
« on: June 24, 2017, 08:54 PM »
It's summer, and that means another Steam summer sale!

Aside from the nice discounts on many games, Steam is also running a promotion where you can do a few "quests" each days to earn sticker packs. I don't really see the point of the stickers or sticker packs, but I guess they know all about how driven people are by worthless digital collections.

Speaking of worthless digital collections, you can also earn Steam Summer Sale Trading Cards through various activities on your Steam account during the sale.

But anyway, I've been using Steam less and less over the past few years, mostly because of the glut of crap that has gotten on the storefront through Greenlight (which has recently been discontinued), and also because I've begun to appreciate the value in DRM-free games more and more (hooray for GOG!). That said, it might be fun if people use this thread as an opportunity to recommend good games to each other that are worth picking up during the sale.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Steam Summer Sale 2017 - June 22 through July 5
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 09:28 PM »
I highly recommend the Sniper Elite series, which is now on sale. DC member Skwire and I have played the last few years of it cooperatively and it has been a hoot.
Sniper Elite 1 is probably a little long in the tooth but 2-4 are still worth your time for sure.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 09:36 PM »
I highly recommend the Sniper Elite series, which is now on sale. DC member Skwire and I have played the last few years of it cooperatively and it has been a hoot.

Man...we've had some times, eh?  LOL.  "Let's go to war..."

Dishonored 2 for $20 is a damn steal, too.  Get that without hesitation.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:02 PM »
But anyway, I've been using Steam less and less over the past few years, mostly because of the glut of crap that has gotten on the storefront through Greenlight (which has recently been discontinued), and also because I've begun to appreciate the value in DRM-free games more and more (hooray for GOG!). That said, it might be fun if people use this thread as an opportunity to recommend good games to each other that are worth picking up during the sale.

Doesn't look like so much a discontinuing as a change to vet the offerings better with Steam Direct.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 01:44 AM »
Greenlight (which has recently been discontinued)

Doesn't look like so much a discontinuing as a change to vet the offerings better with Steam Direct.

Yeah. Pretty much. They've discontinued (retired) Greenlight and replaced it with Steam Direct. Same basic idea (allow almost anybody the chance to get on Steam) but the details of how it works are fairly significantly different to help reduce abuse of the system and reduce low-effort submissions.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 09:27 AM »

Man...we've had some times, eh?  LOL.  "Let's go to war..."

Dishonored 2 for $20 is a damn steal, too.  Get that without hesitation.

The reason I have hesitation on such deals is that I've been burned before by getting the game at a very good deal, but then wanting the DLC (which I do in this case), that DLC not being discounted (which it's not in this case), then the publisher later releasing the Game of the Year version that is less expensive than what I paid in total.  Notice that the season pass is not discounted.  I have enough games to play that I can afford to wait.  Same thing with fallout 4, though admittedly they discounted the season pass too- if you consider that a deal.  Ironically, Fallout 3 was the first one that made me say no more when I did purchase it, and purchased all of the DLC, and found out my purchase was more costly.  Especially towards the end of the life, when they release the DLC non-discounted, but discount the main game.  They've started recently to have the complete your collection offers, which has made me a bit more favorably inclined towards them. 

Add to that the fact that it has Denuvo, and I'm passing for now.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 04:26 PM »
I'd recommend the Dark Souls games. I've only played through the first 2 games (and Demon's Souls on PS3, which Dark Souls is kind of a spiritual continuation of), and don't know a lot about the plot of the 3rd game (I'm waiting for a more agreeable price on the 3rd game with all DLC included). But here's my take on the series:

These games are probably most well-known for their difficulty. The developers know this all too well: The first game's PC release is subtitled as the Prepare to Die Edition. And while they are, or can be, very difficult at times, in my opinion, that's not the main draw to the games. I'd say that the lore is the best thing about the games. (And the level design, especially of DS1, is really amazing!)

A quick note about the difficulty: The game allows different playstyles which can affect the difficulty. Generally speaking, ranged or magic use is "easier" than melee combat. But if you find something that just seems impossibly difficult, then that is probably the game giving you a hint that you should not be there yet or you're doing something wrong. For example, if you are finding it impossibly difficult because the area is too dark to see anything, that should be a clue to find a light source (torch, lantern, magic spell, etc.) you can use to improve visibility. This video explains it well:

Now onto the story:

Kinda vague lore spoilers ahead.

I don't know how to explain it, but the story that is told--piece by piece, clue by clue--is probably one of the most defeatist, depressing, Sisyphean, nihilistic stories I've ever come across. Put quite simply, there are no happy endings in Dark Souls. And this is true for you as the player as well as for essentially every NPC you encounter or hear about. All odds are stacked against you, guaranteeing that ultimately, the "antagonist" of the story (the curse, or the flame, depending on how you look at it) will have its desired outcome. And yet, you and many others persist in trying to overcome the curse.

There's something beautifully melancholy about the sheer willpower behind mankind's persistent struggle to overcome hardship and trials, all in an effort to bring about a better life for themselves and those they care about. Even if, or especially when, it seems (or is!) utterly hopeless.

The lore is amazing. And tragic. And though virtually everybody in the lore eventually succumbs to the curse, becoming Hollow, there's also something that feels almost triumphant about the valor and persistence exemplified by many of the characters. Solaire, Siegmeyer, and Lucatiel are obvious favorites.

And again, like the game itself, where much of it is optional and easily missed (if not outright deviously hidden from the player), much of this story is only hinted at and has to be puzzled out, piece by piece. A lot of the lore is told or hinted at through items you find. When you pick up an item, read its description as soon as it is safe to do so. Think about what it is, where you found it, why it would be there, and what that could mean about the world you're in.

End of spoilers

If the idea of playing through it all yourself doesn't appeal to you, but you're curious about the story, then I'd recommend a few YouTube channels for you:

For a Let's Play-esque playthrough with incredibly deep discussion of the lore throughout almost every stage of the game, see EpicNameBro's channel.

Dark Souls 1 Playthrough & Lore
Dark Souls 2 Playthrough & Lore

For short videos on the lore of specific characters or events, see VaatiVidya's channel, specifically the "Prepare to Cry" videos. That said, some of the lore might not be as meaningful without the context of encountering the characters yourself in the game. Also, he doesn't go into the lore of every character, so there's a lot missing. One thing to keep in mind about the lore videos is that because the story is mostly only hinted at, much of it is speculation and left up to the reader/player to interpret. And some of the information presented in these videos turned out to be wrong according to the canon that came in later games.

Dark Souls 1 Lore
Dark Souls 2 Lore

I didn't link videos to Dark Souls 3 content because I haven't personally watched it yet (trying to avoid spoilers until I play through it).

Buy Dark Souls, git gud, and praise the sun! \[T]/

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is $20 (for some reason it isn't discounted in this sale).
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (which contains all the DLC) is currently $12 (70% off).
Dark Souls III: Deluxe Edition (which contains all the DLC) is currently $42.50 (50% off).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:47 PM by Deozaan »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 08:21 PM »
A list of recommended games on sale from Rock Paper Shotgun: