topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Automatic back up to the cloud  (Read 3452 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Automatic back up to the cloud
« on: June 09, 2017, 09:59 AM »
Hello!

Last time I checked, I couldn't find a reliable service that will monitor specific files and folders and automatically back them up to a reliable cloud when these change (preferably with some versioning).

Is there anything new and ideally free?

thanks!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Automatic back up to the cloud
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 10:20 AM »
Strong sense of dejavu here...

Quick search found threads quoted below -
which of the recommendations did you try?

hello!

I need to backup specific files and folders in my laptop realtime on cloud. Or maybe there is a better backup strategy in case something goes wrong? Could you advise me please?

If not, then which service would be the best? Easy, reliable, free preferably, secure, etc?

Hello!

I am generally satisfied by Bitcasa, but it interferes with an online game I play and it makes it sluggish!

So, is there any alternative?

That will monitor and maintain an cloud back up of specific local files and folders?

Free please! 

Tom

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 06:19 PM »
Ah yes I haven't found anything since then! Is there anything suitable?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 08:19 PM »
There are many options to do what you want but all the established ones cost money.  Carbonite, SpiderOAK, Mozy, Backblaze, and CrashPlan are but a few.  It's not without its quirks, but I've used CrashPlan for several years and am happy with it.  I pay ~$150 per year for their family plan which allows unlimited space for up to ten computers total (of which I back up six total).  That said, CrashPlan does have a free mode that allows you to backup to another CrashPlan user for free.  Conceivably, you could do the following:

• Give a friend a hard drive and he/she installs it in their computer.
  • Both of you install CrashPlan.
  • You then use CrashPlan to backup your files to that hard drive on your friend's computer.
  • Of course, that will use both you and your friend's internet, etc., but it would be free.

Here's a good article on various services: https://www.cloudwar...ine-backup-services/

Honestly, though, if you're not willing to pay money, there's probably not a whole lot we can help you with regarding this topic.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 05:24 AM »
Is there anything new and ideally free?

Is there going to be a time when you provide enough information with your questions?

How much data are you talking about?

iDrive offers 5GB for free plus another 5GB for syncing and you can connect as many devices as you like, eg. Android phones, computers, servers, etc, accessible from any device anywhere via a web browser if necessary.  I t also does versioning with previous file versions not being counted in your quota, (IIRC).

As skwire said, you want more you have to pay for it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 06:33 AM »
I pay ~$150 per year for [SpiderOak's] family plan which allows unlimited space for up to ten computers total (of which I back up six total).

got a mail saying they are offering an unlimited plan just until Saturday, June 17 -- but dont say how many machines you can connect to it. Price is $149 per year.

FWIW, when I try to access via my account page (clicking 'CHANGE' link in the 'Plan' section) , it hangs -- but I dont want/need the offer anyway -- was just trying to see if they gave any more info if one attempted to proceed with the offer.
Tom